Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip-ons vs. 2-1 Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:55 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts
Default Slip-ons vs. 2-1 Pipe

Need a little advice on pipes. I am planning on building my Iron into a hot little 1250. I am hoping to get in the 90+ hp range....maybe more. I am going to do cams and heads to match. Anyway, it will probably be several months before I build. In the meantime, I want to go ahead with a good Stage 1 that will support the engine build later. So I need to decide on a good air filter, tuner and pipes. I really like the looks of the stock drags and was considering getting a good set of slip-ons...something like Cycle Shack that are known for good power. I would of course keep the stock crossover. My question is would this setup support my engine build later or be holding back compared to a good 2-1 pipe? My favorite looking 2-1 is the Bobcat and from what I have read they perform really well too. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 PM
xxINKxx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2:1 all day if you want to make the most power. They look better to IMO.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:05 PM
ev0lution7
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bobcat is fine!

Don't use slip ons if you want to make power...

Old 02-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2-1 is the way to go. Especially for the amount of weight you'll be dropping.

Just have a look at the dyno charts. Mine is in my garage here. You'll get that dip after the initial spike but I just blast through it.

I've been told that the power curve of my pipe mimics the power curve of cams and that fitting cams on top of the pipes would make that dip worse.

Best of luck choosing.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:31 AM
WildThang
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplexi
Need a little advice on pipes. I am planning on building my Iron into a hot little 1250. I am hoping to get in the 90+ hp range....maybe more. I am going to do cams and heads to match. Anyway, it will probably be several months before I build. In the meantime, I want to go ahead with a good Stage 1 that will support the engine build later. So I need to decide on a good air filter, tuner and pipes. I really like the looks of the stock drags and was considering getting a good set of slip-ons...something like Cycle Shack that are known for good power. I would of course keep the stock crossover. My question is would this setup support my engine build later or be holding back compared to a good 2-1 pipe? My favorite looking 2-1 is the Bobcat and from what I have read they perform really well too. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks
Although I'm a firm believer in 2:1...especially the Bobcat, I would agree the Cycle Shack would be a great interim setup until you go with the engine build....then by all means consider the Bobcat Not only does the pipe look MEAN...they sound unlike any other pipe and will turn heads....

Old 02-15-2013, 06:32 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplexi
I dont see anthing wrong withe the slip ons. Even different 2 into 1 pipes have huge effects. The only way to really know is to find a dyno sheet with slip ons and take a look at the tq curve. Everybody says get rid of them and get the 2 into 1 pipe, but does anybody have any hard proof they wont work with a hot 1250?

On the older solid mount engines, slip ons worked just fine withe factory head pipes. Would be interesting to see if they worked.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:37 AM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have heard that you can still achieve decent numbers with good slip ons, and while it is a totally personal thing, I prefer the looks of 2 pipes over a 2-1 on a sportster.

this article has some interesting information http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/413/13...-Shootout.aspx

The bassani's were number one but the SE slip ons faired pretty well.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts

A decent 2-into-1 will always give better results, by which I mean the best torque curve. Two separate pipes may give slightly better HP, but will not be so strong in the low/mid range. I changed from TDs to a 2-into-1 on my Glide and lost 1HP, but gained 15% in the low/mid range, also the bike runs much smoother.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 AM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
A decent 2-into-1 will always give better results, by which I mean the best torque curve. Two separate pipes may give slightly better HP, but will not be so strong in the low/mid range. I changed from TDs to a 2-into-1 on my Glide and lost 1HP, but gained 15% in the low/mid range, also the bike runs much smoother.
I agree, just saying you can still get some decent numbers with slip ons.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:33 AM
99ls1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any input on the Rush 2 into 1? i like the looks of them the bust because it goes all the way back

Quick Reply: Slip-ons vs. 2-1 Pipe