Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help: No School Choppers '33 Style Tail

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:43 AM
nlakind
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help: No School Choppers '33 Style Tail

So I recently installed the No School Choppers "SHOCK MOUNT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET WITH '33 STYLE TAIL LIGHT" (http://shop.noschoolchoppers.com/Shock-mount-setups/)

I'm running NO turn signals & am using the '33 tail as my brake & running light. The '33 comes with just 2 wires as opposed to stock 3 wires. I've read about smiliar problems using the Model A light that also has 2 wires but has a seprate housings for brake & running(top & bottom). My light, the '33 Tail light, only has 1 'housing' for both brake & running. It's supposed to act as running & brake. I have it working as a running light but can't get brake to work. I need to know how to ground it so that the brake light works...

Thanks guys

Last edited by nlakind; 02-13-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:08 AM
hogdiver96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

read your post 4 times and cant make out what you are asking?
connect the wires back up to the original harness for your original lights.
did you have turn signals with the built in brake lights.
does your new plate have a brake light option ?
more info needed please

Old 02-11-2013, 01:31 AM
nlakind
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hogdiver96
read your post 4 times and cant make out what you are asking?
connect the wires back up to the original harness for your original lights.
did you have turn signals with the built in brake lights.
does your new plate have a brake light option ?
more info needed please
OK. sorry. I was doing too many things when writing this post. I'll edit it but here's what I'm trying to say. This link is of a similar post (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-nighster.html)

BUT he's using the Model A light that has 2 bulbs. My light, the '33 Tail light only has 1 bulb. It's supposed to act as running & brake. I need to know how to ground it so that the brake light works... Make more sense?

Old 02-11-2013, 01:34 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,157 Likes on 2,421 Posts

If you are just wanting to ground it, and you are finding that the mounting bracket you are using is not passing on the ground...just run a wire from one of the bolts on the light housing to somewhere on your frame that you know is ground...or find a ground wire in your wiring harness and use it.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:37 AM
hogdiver96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by nlakind
OK. sorry. I was doing too many things when writing this post. I'll edit it but here's what I'm trying to say. This link is of a similar post (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-nighster.html)

BUT he's using the Model A light that has 2 bulbs. My light, the '33 Tail light only has 1 bulb. It's supposed to act as running & brake. I need to know how to ground it so that the brake light works... Make more sense?
If it only has 2 wires i would have thought it just had a running light! 1xrunning light 1x ground.
Anyway to ground it run the earth along the frame anywhere you like (you might need to lengthen it) and i would put it under the seat or in the battery compartment..just find another earth and use that bolt or just run the wire to any bolt /nut that is screwed into the frame. that will earth it..

Old 02-11-2013, 01:39 AM
hogdiver96
Road Warrior

i dont think your new light has a brake light option (which one from the link did you get

Old 02-11-2013, 01:41 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

The lights we sell...pictured below, have a running light and a brake light. Only two wires. The ground is the two bolts in back of the light that are used to mount it to the bike or license plate.

I'm surprised no instructions came with the light...here is a relevant excerpt from the instructions that come with our light=

If you mount the Tail Light in a manner that isolates it from grounding on the frame, run a wire from one of the mounting fasteners to the frame so the unit is grounded.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:43 AM
nlakind
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hogdiver96
i dont think your new light has a brake light option (which one from the link did you get
last one, "33S Murdered Out" -- if it doesn't have a brake light option, what do i do?

Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 AM
nlakind
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DK Custom
The lights we sell...pictured below, have a running light and a brake light. Only two wires. The ground is the two bolts in back of the light that are used to mount it to the bike or license plate.

I'm surprised no instructions came with the light...here is a relevant excerpt from the instructions that come with our light=

If you mount the Tail Light in a manner that isolates it from grounding on the frame, run a wire from one of the mounting fasteners to the frame so the unit is grounded.

this is very helpful, & n instructions. very frustrating but it's ok, could be worse =)

Old 02-11-2013, 01:54 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by nlakind
last one, "33S Murdered Out" -- if it doesn't have a brake light option, what do i do?
Sell it, or return it and get one of THESE.

Quick Reply: Need help: No School Choppers '33 Style Tail