Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just put in a K&N A/F, about to change exhaust, do I need to remap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 01:21 PM
felipesimon
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just put in a K&N A/F, about to change exhaust, do I need to remap?

Hey guys, I just got my 1200C and put the K&N air filter on today. The noise with the stock exhaust is considerably different: lower, angrier, NICE.

I'm installing the V&H slip-ons tomorrow. So my question is: do I need remapping? Will the injection system take care of the change in air flow (in and out)?

Thanks for the help! Here's a pic for ya.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 PM
harleyglen
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes you do, I have the k&n filter and slip ons on my sportster and it runs but know where near as it should. I have xieds fitted now and what a difference!! defo get some for yours or a tuner as you need to get the fuel ratio up

Old 02-06-2013, 01:51 PM
harleyglen
Tourer

nice bike btw

Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The ECM will re-adjust to the factory mixture for your new modifications, it has the ability to do that. Most feel, however, that you should richen up the mixture as the factory conditions are set too lean in order to meet EPA regulations.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:43 PM
No Name Motorcycle Shop
Banned

At least here in the US the bikes come from the MoCo on the lean side for emissions. So yes we would certainly recommend making adjustments to compensate for the better intake/exhaust mods. The factory unit does have a window for adjustments but it is a small window and will not be sufficient to get the bike running at an optimal level.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 PM
xxINKxx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the point? You won't gain much performance if you don't remap the Ecu. All that money in mods it won't run to its potential and will be kinda pointless. Just throwing money to make noise.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by xxINKxx
What's the point? You won't gain much performance if you don't remap the Ecu. All that money in mods it won't run to its potential and will be kinda pointless. Just throwing money to make noise.
Before you're too quick to judge the OP may be on a limited budget and can only afford the slipons he has and would have to wait to pick up a tuning solution for the mods.

However, if performance is your thing a tuner of some sort should be a priority. Also, would be interesting to see if the factor ECM can adjust for pipes and intake...hmmmmmmmm...my be experiment time on the Dyna this weekend.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, to obtain at least a "Stage 1.000001b" configuration with your intake and new pipes/slipons you will need to get a...nevermind, and for goodness sakes don't use the...nevermind, because if you do:

a) the angle of the dangle won't remain in direct proportion to the heat of the meat which b) causes the size of the rise and c) the mass of the *** to remain constant.

Phew, glad I got that out. Quite simple really, and nothing else is acceptable. 'Erybody knows this, 'erybody!!

Oh, nice bike!

=8^)

Last edited by DrewBone; 02-06-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: I lyke to correkt myself uf bad spellink
Old 02-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a question about this also. I know my man robo knows his stuff so I hope he can explain. I have a 1200L. I put cycle shacks and the SE heavy breather on. I had no noticeable problems. But was told by many you have to get the HD download for the EFU to allow more fuel. So I got it done. Two months later started getting decel popping going back to second gear. I purchased and installed the x14ied and no more popping. My question being is what does the factory download accomplish. I read on the night rider sight that the download is not needed and its an old school frame of mind. And that the download just changes rpm nothing with AFM.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member

Honestly, I've never seen the Stage 1 download that Harley offers so I have no idea what they actually change. My understanding is that, due to EPA regulations, the fuel maps they download still result in the lean factory AFR.

Quick Reply: Just put in a K&N A/F, about to change exhaust, do I need to remap?