Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rigid Sportster head pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:44 AM
BM05FLHT
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rigid Sportster head pipes

Are there any factory rigid Evo Sportsters with factory head pipes that do not have the crossover? Looking to change out pipes on our 90 for small change if possible - thanks!

Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

you can cut out the crossover & weld the holes shut. Your heat shields will cover the majority of it.

here's a set I did but I made slip ons & wrapped them.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 PM
BM05FLHT
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

That is a great idea (looks great on yours!) - thanks!

Originally Posted by mreed
you can cut out the crossover & weld the holes shut. Your heat shields will cover the majority of it.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:56 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mreed

Off topic but...is that you in your signature pic? 'Just wondering if you always plasma cut or MIG weld with no eye protection...

=8^)

Old 02-08-2013, 06:52 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

lol, yeah that's me. I'm actually very big on eye protection...see?

My eyes are closed in that pic. If I'm only tacking something together I just shut my eyes. Sometimes though, after a busy day, I end up with funky tan lines.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

LOL.

Even though I'm presently maintaining HP steam and HW boilers, I'm first and foremost a welder/fabricator. 'Been working for [Northrop] Grumman here in NY since 1978 and during the first 18 years of my employ there I got to work in a great fab shop and learned from some real master welders the use of all the welding process' and fabricating using a ton of different equipment...anyway, over the course of those years I managed to get some pretty good UV burns. One inparticular situation stands out; I was inside a large rectangular stainless steel tank, dimensions 26' long by 6' and 12' wide x 12' high. I was teaching a new guy how we went about the bottom seam joint and I was just sitting on the floor of the tank, leaning over and watching as he ran a bead on the end joint. I didn't think anything of it until about 10:00 that evening when I was out to a bar/club with one of my buds and all the lights started looking fuzzy. Then my eyes started to water. Then I couldn't keep my eyes open for any longer than a second as it felt like my eyes were being stabbed with a porcupine. I told my boy I'd be out in the car so I didn't come across like some kind of crying boy. Two hours later I finally got up the courage and made my way back into the bar and told my bud hey we gotta' go my eyes are shot. So off we went.

I could hardly sleep but managed to get some relief with a cold washcloth over my lookin' cubes. The next day when I woke up, my eyes looked like I smoked 10 joints of some good indica; red like blood and glassy like you could ice skate on them. I went to the nurse at work and she sent me to the eye doc...he confirmed that I had burnt my retinas, and he shot some kinda' drops in there and gave me the bottle to use a few times a day to relieve the pain and to heal 'em up.

I then said to myself, how in the hell could I have burnt my eyes up so good? Ah...then it came to me. Remember, I was sitting between the new guy and the tank end...and unbenounced to me, the light created from the MIG arc richocheted past both of us 26' to the other end of the tank, where it was reflected back towards us, where it then just barely snuck past the space between the sides of my face and the inside of my welding shield, and then finally reflected one last time off the inside of my lens back into my eyes, all without me even knowing it. 'Sumbitch!

Long story short here is that even though you may not think you could do any damage to your eyes, the damage may have already been done. And I'm sure you've heard it before but you only have one set of eyes, and it is imperative that you keep them safeguarded at all times.

When I [used to when they first came out, not any more] watch the idjits on OCC, I'd see one of the usual suspects wearing a short sleeved shirt and no welding shield, hold onto some boss or whatever on their latest aborti...I mean project, holding the pieces together when he closes his eyes and "Zap" there's a tack weld with the MIG gun but oooops, he missed, so he tries again, then again, until it "holds." Being a fabricator, this showmanship, this "expression" of what I guess amounts to some kind of macho bullshit really insults me. I often wonder also why they rarely ever show completed welds but unstead show them all ground to **** instead. Hmmmmm, speaks volumes about their abilities as hacks, and it's really no wonder why they don't manufacture their own frames eh, LOL.

Anyway, 'didn't mean to lecture but your eyes are important, so please don't abuse them or take unnecessary risks when it takes but a moment to don the right equipment to protect them.

=8^)