Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi All, New here! I Need Drag Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi All, New here! I Need Drag Pipes

I have screaming eagle II slip-ons and I want more sound so I'm thinking of getting some drag pipes. There's so many different ones I don't no which ones I would like so if any of you guys could suggest a good set of pipes that would rock. What's the most popular and best sounding?

Old 08-14-2005, 11:54 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: Hi All, New here! I Need Drag Pipes

Scroll down to the This 'n' That section, hit Exhaust, and read the Drag Pipe How-To.

Know what you will be giving up, how to recover some of it, and what to expect. Brand names? Beats me. Any reputable brand oughtta do. If you could find some with rounded turns instead of the more angular turns, it'd help the flow a bit. Stay away from anything larger than 1-7/8 inch diameter.

Old 08-14-2005, 12:38 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

The drag pipes are just good for making noise and not much more, they will kill performance, but you can get some of it back with the article Skip posted. If all you want is noise , then they are great, there are other options that run well and give you a great sound to boot.

Old 08-14-2005, 01:11 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just remember that if you install drag pipes and ride in groups, most folks will ask you to ride at the back. They are obnoxious to ride behind.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

The drag pipes are just good for making noise and not much more, they will kill performance, but you can get some of it back with the article Skip posted. If all you want is noise , then they are great, there are other options that run well and give you a great sound to boot.
I second that.. Once you step into drag pipes, prepare to have to run it up there to get into the power band.. No more relaxing low RPM pulls on the mountain roads when you need it.. You'll have to rev it up to get any torque because drags are meant for full blown Highest RPM "drag" racing.

I have Rineharts, because I got a silly deal on them and as far as drags go, I recommend them.. They're not cheap, for a reason.. 3 stepped diameter headers, tuned for performance.

Before you go this route, I suggest.. Mess with your existing baffles first.. you may get more sound out of them that's acceptable and still keep your low end performance. Personally.. I'm kind of over it.. I'm going to try some quieter baffles from Bubb to fit my Rineharts to get more torque, at the expense of some of the boom boom, which is beginning to annoy even me.

Old 08-15-2005, 03:35 PM
DILLIGAF
Advanced

Horse****....I have the Bassani drags. And smoke just about any thing off the line. They have a great low end punch. Loud as hell. And yes they will send you to the back of the class sometimes. I have a sound clip if you want me to e-mail it. cant seem to attach it here.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2056/FB4FF96D86424495B060FB4AE5D531E9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-15-2005, 03:55 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I stand corrected. Going too much just on my own general experience. There is more to it than just adding exhaust but how the intake and the rest of the engine is setup also I suppose.

Nice looking bassani's. Looks like a stepped header design similar to the Rineharts.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:52 PM
xlrider
Advanced

The thing is, Bassani pro Streets are not Drag pipes per say, They are a stepped strait pipe. If I am wrong then correct me wrong. My bike also gets up and goes from low RPM's.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:12 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Babs

I have Rineharts, because I got a silly deal on them and as far as drags go, I recommend them.. They're not cheap, for a reason.. 3 stepped diameter headers, tuned for performance.

Before you go this route, I suggest.. Mess with your existing baffles first.. you may get more sound out of them that's acceptable and still keep your low end performance. Personally.. I'm kind of over it.. I'm going to try some quieter baffles from Bubb to fit my Rineharts to get more torque, at the expense of some of the boom boom, which is beginning to annoy even me.

So you got Rineharts huh, Mine are in the box waiting to be installed. My understanding was because of the Stepped pipes you didnt loose anything on the low end in torgue or horsepower. Also I wouldnt consider them Drag Pipes for the same reason. Am I wrong on this. Please elaborate. I too am concerned about the noise levels but they sound really good and I wanted a performance pipe. Seems like the better the pipe the more noise. These quiet baffles, Didnt see them on Bubs site. Got any links. Thanks....

LV

Old 08-17-2005, 12:37 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Y'all are thinking right on the Bassani and Rinehart's not being true drag pipes. As noted, they are stepped pipes. The steps go from a smaller diameter to a larger diameter, and the physics of it prevents reversion, which is what causes drag pipes to lose low end torque. True drag pipes are one diameter, end-to-end. They are, as also noted, for wide open throttle operation. Up there it doesn't matter if you don't have the best in low end. The exhaust gases are exiting at such a high velocity, reversion can't happen.

Quick Reply: Hi All, New here! I Need Drag Pipes