Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi All, New here! I Need Drag Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hi All, New here! I Need Drag Pipes

You're absolutely right about the stepped diameter. I've not dyno'd my bike but I'll guess (and hope) it's got more torque than stock. I took it out the other day and it changed my mind a bit about dissing it's low end torque off the line. And surprised a couple sport bikes that pulled up to the light beside me. If you read the threads about "breaking in a new engine".. I rode this one not quite but close to "like I stole it".

I would love to see a dyno printout though with my humble stock 88B, K&N filter and just a dynojet kit (which I haven't actually confirmed the dealer really installed). I do wish I had some carb tuning experience.

Don't worry, in my opinion, you've bought probably one of, if not the best aftermarket harley exhaust there is. But that's always subjective and debateable.

I have my days when I'm not impressed, then I remember what the bike used to sound like, and I remember that the Rineharts were immediately "deeper" and "fuller" like a "small block hotrod V-8".. the only way I could convey it. They spanked the sound of the big shot shorts I had on it prior, by a LONG shot.. and in performance as well.. The shorts being a "true drag pipe" as you pointed out.

Actually, I think the engine is "warming up" to the pipes with a little more power as time goes on.. 3800 miles.. fairly new and not ridden enough, sadly.

Old 08-17-2005, 01:10 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Babs

You're absolutely right about the stepped diameter. I've not dyno'd my bike but I'll guess (and hope) it's got more torque than stock. I took it out the other day and it changed my mind a bit about dissing it's low end torque off the line. And surprised a couple sport bikes that pulled up to the light beside me. If you read the threads about "breaking in a new engine".. I rode this one not quite but close to "like I stole it".

I would love to see a dyno printout though with my humble stock 88B, K&N filter and just a dynojet kit (which I haven't actually confirmed the dealer really installed). I do wish I had some carb tuning experience.

Don't worry, in my opinion, you've bought probably one of, if not the best aftermarket harley exhaust there is. But that's always subjective and debateable.

I have my days when I'm not impressed, then I remember what the bike used to sound like, and I remember that the Rineharts were immediately "deeper" and "fuller" like a "small block hotrod V-8".. the only way I could convey it. They spanked the sound of the big shot shorts I had on it prior, by a LONG shot.. and in performance as well.. The shorts being a "true drag pipe" as you pointed out.

Actually, I think the engine is "warming up" to the pipes with a little more power as time goes on.. 3800 miles.. fairly new and not ridden enough, sadly.

Yep would agree about the sound. So far I've only heard the sound clip on bubs website but Yep sounds like a big block to me
Not sure what they will sound like on the sporty, Hopefully just the same. I'm sure the first time I fire the bike up with them on it I will be like Geeez, these are toooo fricking loud but hopefully I will get used to it. I was interested in these quiet baffles. Do they make them for the rineharts. I also thought you might beable to wrap fiberglass around the stock baffles to mellow the sound out. Finally Do I need to replace the gaskets or mounting flanges when I go to bolt these up. Thanks for the info.

LV

Old 08-17-2005, 01:47 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: LordVngr

Yep would agree about the sound. So far I've only heard the sound clip on bubs website but Yep sounds like a big block to me
Not sure what they will sound like on the sporty, Hopefully just the same. I'm sure the first time I fire the bike up with them on it I will be like Geeez, these are toooo fricking loud but hopefully I will get used to it. I was interested in these quiet baffles. Do they make them for the rineharts. I also thought you might beable to wrap fiberglass around the stock baffles to mellow the sound out. Finally Do I need to replace the gaskets or mounting flanges when I go to bolt these up. Thanks for the info.

LV
Loud.. Compared to stock.. Oh definitely.
Don't know about messing with fiberglass on the baffles, but I did get an email back from Bub that the stubbies baffle is appropriate for more torque and not quite as loud.. Their part# 21-00037/2 (1 1/2" Stubbie baffles.. for more torque and less sound.. This is for the softail version, by the way. They retail for $68.25) I was considering trying them but was hoping to see if anyone else had tried them.

Yes on the gaskets, and it's pretty easy.. Get some Screamin' Eagle gaskets. You will NOT have to replace the flanges. You will need ring spreaders (Sears.. Craftsman.. a few dollars) to get the flanges off the stocks. Other than that it's a matter of not scratching the chrome and bolting them up.

After going from V&H's to Stock Headers to Rineharts, I gotta say I'm getting to the point I can swap exhaust blindfolded. hehe It's been the subject of much a joke with my riding buddies.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:36 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser

Don't know about messing with fiberglass on the baffles, but I did get an email back from Bub that the stubbies baffle is appropriate for more torque and not quite as loud.. Their part# 21-00037/2 (1 1/2" Stubbie baffles.. for more torque and less sound.. This is for the softail version, by the way. They retail for $68.25) I was considering trying them but was hoping to see if anyone else had tried them.

Yes on the gaskets, and it's pretty easy.. Get some Screamin' Eagle gaskets. You will NOT have to replace the flanges. You will need ring spreaders (Sears.. Craftsman.. a few dollars) to get the flanges off the stocks. Other than that it's a matter of not scratching the chrome and bolting them up.

After going from V&H's to Stock Headers to Rineharts, I gotta say I'm getting to the point I can swap exhaust blindfolded. hehe It's been the subject of much a joke with my riding buddies.
Sweet, thanks for the info. I will pick up some SE gaskets and I got a ring spreader Someplace. I wil locate it Before I rip into the exhaust. Gonna be doing it here in the next couple of weeks. later

LV

Old 08-17-2005, 11:40 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser

Don't know about messing with fiberglass on the baffles
Might actually work pretty good. Just get some exhaust wrap like for a Dirtbike. Comes in sheets. Looks like maybe you can get 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick wrap around the baffles. Might quiet it way down Without Sacraficing Performance. Beside at 15 bucks for a package it's worth a try.

LV

Old 08-18-2005, 12:01 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

One thing I remember though is on those stock baffles, last I looked.. They didn't really have much room outside between them and the pipe itself. They're pretty doggone open. Not much really to those baffles.. Just barely there.

Old 08-19-2005, 12:54 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser

One thing I remember though is on those stock baffles, last I looked.. They didn't really have much room outside between them and the pipe itself. They're pretty doggone open. Not much really to those baffles.. Just barely there.

Babs, Well I didnt look real close but did notice during my initial inspection of the pipes that there looked like a little room in there. At least on my pipes there were. I will check it closer once I install them. If I do decide to try and wrap some exhaust wrap around the baffle I will let you know how it goes. Take care....

LV