Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting to get pissed - THUNDERHEADER

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:11 PM
tjbindel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to get pissed - THUNDERHEADER

So after the recommendations of a friend and 2 mechanics at different dealerships, I chose to buy a set of thunderhead pipes. After all, I liked the way the looked.

I'm just about to my limit with these pipes. The first issue I had was wedging the mounting bracket wide enough to slide over the pipe. Then when installing the pipes the instructions say to install the O2 sensors prior to installing the pipes but there is too much interference and won't go on. After getting the pipes mounted on the bike, I now can't install the aft O2 sensor or can't tighten the lower exhaust flange nut. I'm also having a problem getting the sensor socket over the sensor to apply the correct torque values.

I am open to suggestions, but I don't think I will ever recommend thunderheader to anyone looking at new exhaust. I really don't want to go through the trouble of returning the exhaust, but maybe I should have gone with Vance & Hines 2into1.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 136 Posts

Sorry to hear that you're having install problems. I don't have any experience with the TH, but I'm sure that some one here will chime in.

I run the Propipe and had very minor install problems. It took me about an hour to install.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:43 PM
xxINKxx
Tourer

Ill have a somewhat new vance and hines 2:1 blackout for sale. Probably ditch it for 100$. It's bad *** and I love the performance and deep throaty sound. I just ride too hard and the exhaust holds me back due to dragging.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Have you tried a crows foot to tighten and torque the sensor?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 PM
tjbindel
Advanced

If I can find the charger for my camera, I will post a picture, but I only foresee 2 solutions.

1. its a manufacturer defect and they send me a new set under the warranty
OR
2. Have someone cut and relocate and weld the oxygen sensor bung.

I'm in the Navy and know a couple turd chasers that may be able to do the welding. I'm going to contact the seller and manufacturer both.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 PM
cripple
Cruiser

Originally Posted by xxINKxx
Ill have a somewhat new vance and hines 2:1 blackout for sale. Probably ditch it for 100$. It's bad *** and I love the performance and deep throaty sound. I just ride too hard and the exhaust holds me back due to dragging.
You dragged the blackouts in a turn? Wow mine are really high off the ground.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 PM
garslayer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you decide to get rid of the pipe; let me know. I am local and interested.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:26 PM
hhkiwi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question: Are your O2 sensors stock or after-market wide-band sensors that came with a auto-tune ECM?

Wide-band sensors are longer and may not fit with certain pipes, including Vance & Hines!

Old 01-28-2013, 11:56 PM
tjbindel
Advanced

Originally Posted by hhkiwi
Question: Are your O2 sensors stock or after-market wide-band sensors that came with a auto-tune ECM?

Wide-band sensors are longer and may not fit with certain pipes, including Vance & Hines!
I hadn't thought of that. They are the original sensors from when I bought the bike, but I bought it in used in 2008 with the short shots already installed. But to my knowledge they are the original sensors.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:36 AM
WildThang
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rwhisen
Have you tried a crows foot to tighten and torque the sensor?

My D&D Bobcat pipe was a challenge to install as well...as rwwhisen has asked, I too had to invest/use a crows foot to install the sensor. Be patient...as you are not the first to install the thunderheader - it will fit....

Quick Reply: Starting to get pissed - THUNDERHEADER