Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polishing Aluminum?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:54 PM
groverhd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope mine are not coated

Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Paint stripper:

Two buffing wheels stacked on one arbor. I think these are 6" diameter:

Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iwantmybeerbackplease
Good advice. For what it's worth, my cases, heads and mags are not clear coated. I have an '08 XL Standard.

-Beer
Yes, your aluminum is/was coated. Your polish probably wore through the clear after using it the dozen times, and finally allowed you to "polish" the aluminum.

As other stated, get yourself some paint remover/stripper to remove the clear. Then wet sand any spots you want to cleanup going with progressively finer sandpaper, and then hit with the polishing wheel & polishing rouge(sp?), which you can get a Lowe's.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:47 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
Most of the polished aluminum on Harleys is clear coated and the aluminum tarnishes under the coating. Take some wax or polish and if it comes off the color of the wax then it is cleared. If it comes off black then it is not cleared.
If it is cleared then you need to strip the clear.
Strip the clearcoat, you will ned to be extra careful if it is not disassembled and the motor has black cases and jugs. Once you get the clear off you are committed to hours of polishing to get her to shine and a little extra time to get the luster back from time to time.

For me, there is nothing like the look of polished aluminum, better than chrome. I use SemiChrome in a tube, a little goes a long way and keep the rags for the next time. Basically you rotate a new rag in, bump the various grades of thick and black down and throw away only the worst one.

If you live in a cool moist winter climate, be prepared to maintain the polish as the aluminum will draw moisture and the moisture will leave white spots that turn to black onthe surface. Never spray a protectant with silicone as it will draw moisture. I used WD-40 (Water Displacing Formula 40) for extended layups in winter

Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 PM
groverhd
Tourer

So would it be best to take it apart the first time? is that much trouble?

Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM
schlacker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I would have sworn those lowers were chromed harleycruiser-awesome procedure & technique!

Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by groverhd
So would it be best to take it apart the first time? is that much trouble?

your choice, how close is the area you want to polish to paint, chrome, or something else you want to protect. I used to tear down my shovel in the winter just to polish the rocker boxes real good. What are you wanting to polish? rocker boxes come off really easy, and you would have your best opportunity to strip all the clear off before polishing. And you could sit in your favorite chair, in front of the TV, with your 'ol lady bringing you a drink every now and then

Old 01-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Harry Strydom
6th Gear
Default Alu Polish

As I was checking out the post on polishing the alu, I noticed you have a similar exhaust system as the one I am enquiring about. Sorry for hijacking this post but can you please advise what exhaust system you have on your bike? See my new thread "What exhaust is this"
Thanks
Harry

Old 01-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harry Strydom
As I was checking out the post on polishing the alu, I noticed you have a similar exhaust system as the one I am enquiring about. Sorry for hijacking this post but can you please advise what exhaust system you have on your bike? See my new thread "What exhaust is this"
Thanks
Harry

Harry, I already replied, you have a stock exhaust with the stock x-Over and the ends of the pipes have been angle cut to look like drag pipes

Old 01-29-2013, 01:34 PM
iwantmybeerbackplease
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
Yes, your aluminum is/was coated. Your polish probably wore through the clear after using it the dozen times, and finally allowed you to "polish" the aluminum.

As other stated, get yourself some paint remover/stripper to remove the clear. Then wet sand any spots you want to cleanup going with progressively finer sandpaper, and then hit with the polishing wheel & polishing rouge(sp?), which you can get a Lowe's.
I don't see a point to the clear coat if the aluminum looked like **** after one year. Tried several cleaners and polishes with no results so I went to the harsh metal polish to finally get a polished look. The aluminum was already pitted before I used any type of polish which indicates that the clear coat was not holding up. I hesitate to use scotch bright or sand paper. I'll slowly bring it back with polish then seal it with Liquid Glass which should hold up to the heat pretty well for about two years.

-Beer

Quick Reply: Polishing Aluminum?