Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That quasi-cruise control knob - ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:32 PM
MacAttack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That quasi-cruise control **** - ???

Hi all,
I've never owned a bike with a throttle control screw. Is it just a friction adjuster? Guess I need a long stretch of freeway to check it out. Reason I ask is that I once had a dirt bike throttle stick wide open on a forest road, with a coming corner and a shorted-out kill switch. It was very exciting (but I didn't crash!)

Old 02-07-2007, 07:47 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: That quasi-cruise control **** - ???

While it's parked and engine off you can adjust the tension on the lock so that the throttle will still just barely return or you can adjust the tension so that it will hold the throttle in one position but yet be easy for you to twist it back off when needed. However you want it.

Personally I don't use mine. Maybe it's o.k. just to give your arm a rest now and then but because of changes in grade a throttle lock doesn't allow you to maintain anything like a constant, steady speed. Consequently you keep on messing with it anyhow.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:36 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior

I don't like it, get a Throttle Boss or similar.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Iuse mine on long Interstate stretches. I adjust the tension on mine to hold the throttle in one position, but still loose enough that I can turn it back whengoing downhill etc. It is a good thing to have on the long stretches. I don't necessarily "like" it, but it is nice to have.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:42 PM
skipit
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a dangerous item. I have used it very seldom by just tightening it enough that I still can control the throttle. I use my throttle rocker most of the time, it lets my hand relax.........

Old 02-07-2007, 11:36 PM
tacklindummy
6th Gear

I added the Throttle Mate to mine for about $14.00. Gives you a little more control with the thumb. I don't use it a lot but it is nice to give the throttle hand a little break.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:02 AM
eggroll
Road Master

ORIGINAL: tacklindummy

I added the Throttle Mate to mine for about $14.00. Gives you a little more control with the thumb. I don't use it a lot but it is nice to give the throttle hand a little break.
I did the same, but had to "fine tune" it with a file to get it to fit the thumbwheel just right. I use it only when giving my hand a shake-out; too weird riding longer than that with it.[8D]

Old 02-08-2007, 01:38 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The **** is for fine tuning your scoot. It was not designed as use for being a cruise control. Most use it as such, but very dangerous unless you are a skilled rider.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:27 PM
MacAttack
Tourer

Thanks everyone... Kinda what I suspected. Having my throttle locked at freeway speed doesn't sound like a great idea to me - just in case.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:03 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: ******

Iuse mine on long Interstate stretches. I adjust the tension on mine to hold the throttle in one position, but still loose enough that I can turn it back whengoing downhill etc. It is a good thing to have on the long stretches. I don't necessarily "like" it, but it is nice to have.
Same here, I just wish it was easier to manipulate. I can't use it with my winter gloves on. When my left hand gets cold, I can lay it on top of the rear cylinder head to warm it up, but right hand just has to suffer.

Quick Reply: That quasi-cruise control knob - ???