Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of a different front wheel...Opinions??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013 | 05:57 PM
gilmour68
|
Road Master
Default Thinking of a different front wheel...Opinions??

I switched to a laced 19" wheel a while ago and prefer it to the stock 21" the bike came with. Last summer I ended up with a flat and I had to replace the tube and true the wheel at a cost of over $80.

I just found an ad for a 13 cast spoked 19" wheel similar to the attached photo for a great price. I'm thinking about buying it just based on the price. I'm also considering the advantages of the cast over laced wheels as well. I often do long solo rides and a tubeless wheel would be easier to deal with in case of a flat.

I'm not sure if that type of wheel would look alright on my bike. Any thoughts? Also if there's anyone out there with photoshop skills who can mock up a photo of my bike for comparison's sake, that would be awesome!!

Attached Thumbnails Thinking of a different front wheel...Opinions??-silver-cast.jpg   Thinking of a different front wheel...Opinions??-kgrhqv-omfc3h2-irrbq9wb-j2zg-60_57.jpg   Thinking of a different front wheel...Opinions??-dark-custom-2011-1-.jpg   Thinking of a different front wheel...Opinions??-dark-custom-2011.jpg  
Old 01-23-2013 | 07:34 PM
c0jones
Road Master

Since you have mid glide trees, look for a mag from a mid glide bike.
-2006 & newer Super Glide (100/90-19)
-2011 & newer 1200C (130/90-16)
-2011 & newer 883L "SuperLow" (120/70-18)

Originally Posted by gilmour68
I switched to a laced 19" wheel a while ago and prefer it to the stock 21" the bike came with. Last summer I ended up with a flat and I had to replace the tube and true the wheel at a cost of over $80.

I just found an ad for a 13 cast spoked 19" wheel similar to the attached photo for a great price. I'm thinking about buying it just based on the price. I'm also considering the advantages of the cast over laced wheels as well. I often do long solo rides and a tubeless wheel would be easier to deal with in case of a flat.

I'm not sure if that type of wheel would look alright on my bike. Any thoughts? Also if there's anyone out there with photoshop skills who can mock up a photo of my bike for comparison's sake, that would be awesome!!

Old 01-24-2013 | 09:34 AM
ev0lution7
Tourer

You might as well match the look and get the rear wheel... Personally I swapped out my mag wheel on my custom for a 16in laced wheel... Then on the front I got rid of the 21 for a 19in laced...

Old 01-24-2013 | 10:01 AM
laffin gas
Tourer

i have a 2005 xl883c with the 21" front laced wheel and i was wondering if i could put a 19" wheel right on? what wheel is needed and will my brake rotor from my 21" wheel still be able to be used?
thanks for any info and also wondering what it would look like

Old 01-24-2013 | 01:51 PM
gilmour68
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by laffin gas
i have a 2005 xl883c with the 21" front laced wheel and i was wondering if i could put a 19" wheel right on? what wheel is needed and will my brake rotor from my 21" wheel still be able to be used?
thanks for any info and also wondering what it would look like
Laffin gas,

The conversion from a 21-19" should be pretty straightforward and I imagine you can use all the parts over. You'll need to make sure your hub width on the new wheel matches the width of the wheel you're removing. As for what it looks like, check out the photos on my original post. My bike is an '04 XLC as is evO's.

evO,

While I appreciate the fact that a wheel from a midglide bike would be a better match for the front end I'm running, the 19" wheel I have on now has the same hub size as the original 21" XLC stock wheel and if should be the same as the one I'm picking up.

Changing the wheel wasn't on the list of off season projects, and the only reason I'm going for it is the price...I'm getting the wheel with a Dunlop 591 tire (supposedly with decent tread) for $80. Couldn't pass it by considering most similar wheels (without tires) are going for $125+ on ebay. If I don't like it and decide not to use the wheel, I'm sure I can get my money back. Picking it up this Saturday.

Old 01-24-2013 | 01:52 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member

I think the black mag would look nice on the front of the OP's bike. I love the 21" laced wheels, but I sure know the 19" handles better and the tire lasts longer.

Old 01-24-2013 | 04:39 PM
laffin gas
Tourer

thanks for the reply.....i just ordered a new 19" for mine....hopefully the tire will improve the feel of the front end.....we shall see

Old 01-24-2013 | 09:53 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by gilmour68
Wouldn't it look a lot like mine? Personally I really like these mags. I'm actually trying to determine if I can mount a 16" rear mag on the front front end with the triple tree kit.

Old 01-25-2013 | 09:14 AM
gilmour68
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
Wouldn't it look a lot like mine? Personally I really like these mags. I'm actually trying to determine if I can mount a 16" rear mag on the front front end with the triple tree kit.

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Think I might leave a little more silver on the spokes if I have it powdercoated, but this pic gives me a good idea of what it might look like. I'm just gonna leave the stock rear wheel in place for now.

Old 01-25-2013 | 09:58 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich

I can tell you a rear wheel not fit on a midglide front......I tried So I have wideglide triples on the way from vulcan. I will see if it works with that. Hopefully some time next week.

Quick Reply: Thinking of a different front wheel...Opinions??