Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Twiste
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Tender Question

So for the first time since I've had my sportster I didn't ride her or start her for 17 days. When I finally went to start her up she was dead(totally dead), no big surprise, I then hooked up my trustie battery tender hopping I could get enough of a charge to take a hour or so ride before the rain would start. Well I waited a 1 1/2 hours and tryed to turn her over and I got the idiots light but nothing more, waited 1 hour more the same thing. So I hooked up the trickle charger I stopped using once I got the tender and waited a hour and a half and she started, granted she still needed more of a charge but I got her going. At any rate I assumed the battery tender was broken. I told a friend this and he said that the tenders are designed for upkeep and that the won't charge up a dead battery. My question is is that true? Also the battery in my bike is only 2 months old. Thanks for any replies.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:00 PM
misinlink
Intermediate

I use BT Plus it has a low charge rate of 1.25AMP. Then it will float and maintain at proper storage voltage

The junior I think is .75AMP charge.

Either one is not recommended to bring a dead battery back in any rapid fashion.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 PM
hhkiwi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on the model of tender you have.

I have a Noco Genius which pumps out a maximum of 750 mA. I once hooked it up to my truck's battery which had gone flat and the tender managed to charge it even though it took over a week to do so (I wasn't using the truck at the time so didn't mind).

So as long as your tender's output exceeds the battery's rate of discharge it will eventually charge it.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Twiste
Cruiser

Thank for the reply's guys. My guess is the tender was just way slower then I expected and I wasn't patient enough. Just put the tender back on and will monitor the rest of the night and see if the charge light turns off. If not I'll have the battery tested.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 PM
misinlink
Intermediate

The other big thing to remember on 04 up sportys with battery work is the very specific way to install the battery. Make sure you follow the procedure or you will end up with loose cables.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leave it on overnight. You'll be good in the morning.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

The battery tender will not charge a dead battery. That's why it's called a tender, not a charger. Once the battery has dropped below a certain voltage, for safety reasons the tender won't touch it. Your trickle charger may have saved it, and the tender will keep it at a full charge, but it's possible you damaged the battery by running it dead (ask me how I know). Keep an eye on it, see if you lose any power overnight (without the tender).

If it were me, I'd take the battery in to get load tested. If I'm not mistaken, NAPA will do it for free.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by X04D
The battery tender will not charge a dead battery. That's why it's called a tender, not a charger. Once the battery has dropped below a certain voltage, for safety reasons the tender won't touch it. Your trickle charger may have saved it, and the tender will keep it at a full charge, but it's possible you damaged the battery by running it dead (ask me how I know). Keep an eye on it, see if you lose any power overnight (without the tender).

If it were me, I'd take the battery in to get load tested. If I'm not mistaken, NAPA will do it for free.
Advanced Auto Parts also test batteries for free.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Twiste
Cruiser

Battery isn't dead, after charging it for 7 hours or so and it sitting through the night I rode it 5 miles parked it, then 9 hours later it started. Not as strong as it should but it did. Drove home and restarted it 2 times before shutting it down for the night. Hopefully I didn't mess the battery up by starting it without a full charge. Didn't run it though. I think most automotive places test batteries. I'll pull it out tomorrow if I have any problems starting and have it done. Thanks again.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Twiste
Battery isn't dead
It won't be dead but that doesn't mean it'll hold a charge, either.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender Question