Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New pipes, programmer needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013 | 01:31 PM
Matt1200R
|
6th Gear
Default New pipes, programmer needed?

I have a quick question, that I am sure has been answered before. On a 08 fuel injected 1200r, do I need a programmer after I put new exhaust on, or will the stock fi be fine without it. The air cleaner is stock and I am looking at putting a set of Vance and Hines short shots on the bike. I appreciate any and all help.
Thanks
The new guy lol

Old 01-10-2013 | 01:51 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior

The general rule is that if you go with just exhaust and leave the stock A/C in place, you'll be fine. By the same token, if you decide to go with just a free flowing A/C and leave the exhaust stock you will also be fine. It's when you combine the 2 into what is known as a "Stage 1" upgrade will you need some kind of fuel management/tuner. Harley's run lean from the factory to satisfy/meet EPA regs, and when you add free breathing A/C and exhaust this amplifies the lean condition and will cause detrimental effects to your engine if continued to be used without correction.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, ride safe!

=8^)

Old 01-10-2013 | 02:50 PM
xl8832007
Advanced

What about a full exhaust system? Does that require a tuner?

Old 01-10-2013 | 02:54 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by xl8832007
What about a full exhaust system? Does that require a tuner?
By "tuner"...is that the same as "remapping"?

Old 01-10-2013 | 04:07 PM
AustinXL
Tourer

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
By "tuner"...is that the same as "remapping"?
A tuner like a PowerVision or a TTS Mastertune allows you to do your own remapping as you see fit.

Old 01-10-2013 | 04:09 PM
AustinXL
Tourer

Originally Posted by Matt1200R
I have a quick question, that I am sure has been answered before. On a 08 fuel injected 1200r, do I need a programmer after I put new exhaust on, or will the stock fi be fine without it. The air cleaner is stock and I am looking at putting a set of Vance and Hines short shots on the bike. I appreciate any and all help.
Thanks
The new guy lol
What you're suggesting will be fine.

However the V&H short shots are horrible if you are looking for performance at all. You're better off with stock headers and some slip ons.

I would still recommend a flash tuner, I believe that even the stock EFI bikes need a tuner. They sure do run better (even stock) when you get rid of the Harley stock map.

Old 01-10-2013 | 04:17 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Even if you get a full exhaust and a new ac, you could go without buying a fuel tuner and just pay your HD dealer ~ $150 for a Stage 1 fuel map to be flashed to your bike. Not that I recommend that, I would rather the Power Vision and be able to change maps no matter what I do later or just to tinker with the maps to make my bike run better.

Old 01-10-2013 | 04:22 PM
AustinXL
Tourer

Originally Posted by alansummrs
Even if you get a full exhaust and a new ac, you could go without buying a fuel tuner and just pay your HD dealer ~ $150 for a Stage 1 fuel map to be flashed to your bike. Not that I recommend that, I would rather the Power Vision and be able to change maps no matter what I do later or just to tinker with the maps to make my bike run better.
Yes, DO NOT recommend that at all. The Harley stage 1 "tune" is still lean as hell and basically just keeps it factory lean and raises the rev limiter.

If you care about your bike and enjoy riding it you'll end up with a PowerVision or TTS sooner or later.

Old 01-10-2013 | 04:23 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by AustinXL
A tuner like a PowerVision or a TTS Mastertune allows you to do your own remapping as you see fit.
Thanks for that Austin. This FXS is my first "modern" bike since my FXE. We didn't have mapping then, not that I know of. Take the old pipes off, put new ones on and go. A LOT has changed and I'm trying to catch up.

Old 01-10-2013 | 04:38 PM
Matt1200R
|
6th Gear

Thanks for all the responces. So if the short shots are junk, does anyone want to recomend a good full exhaust system. My bike is a 05 carb model. I asked about the programmer for my friends 08 fi bike. I've got a set of drag pipes on it now. I know the bike is lean, cause the pipes have blued alot. But it was that way when I bought it. So I am looking for pipes and a jet kit for it. Any suggestions are welcome.

Quick Reply: New pipes, programmer needed?