Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering front forks

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Sancheese
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering front forks

installed new shocks in the back lowered the rear by about an inch,what are your thoughts about lowering the trees to lower the front.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:29 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's no real need to, but you can either slide the fork tubes up in the trees a little or put in some shorter progressive springs in the tubes. I didn't alter the front forks when I went from my stock 12.75" shocks to the Lick's 10" short shocks, just a different kick stand. One inch in the rear doesn't mess with your rake/trail angle enough to notice.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:48 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the way the bikes look dropping the rear a couple inches and leaving the front alone, in less you have a real reason doing so I would leave it..

Old 01-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 592 Posts

If you pull the tubes up threw the triple trees be careful. Very good chance of lower tree smashing into fork sliders, kaboom over big bumps.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Madnss
If you pull the tubes up threw the triple trees be careful. Very good chance of lower tree smashing into fork sliders, kaboom over big bumps.
That or the front fender smashing into lower tree or the front down tubes. Hell, if I remember correctly, some '04 or '06 owners were having issues with the front fender hitting the regulator on the down tubes in stock form when the front suspension would compress.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 592 Posts

[QUOTE=WVHogRider;10754072]That or the front fender smashing into lower tree or the front down tubes. Hell, if I remember correctly, some '04 or '06 owners were having issues with the front fender hitting the regulator on the down tubes in stock form when the front suspension would compress.[/

Very good point.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:11 PM
laffin gas
Tourer

depending on your mileage you may want to consider doing the fork springs and fluid change. make sure if you get the kit that replaces the new dampener tubes in the forks you go to the dealer and get 2 new bolts and seal rings and use a perfect fitting allen socket and hit it with a hammer a couple of times to shock it before you use the ratchet....one of mine stripped out very easy....the bolt heads are very very soft. the dealer laughed when i came in to get them. they told me it happens a lot.
bike rides excellent with the new harley springs and fluid. i am very happy with the results. i also went to my local sears and picked up a long clamp to use to put the caps back on the forks. i lined it up with the screw top of the clamp on the top of the fork and guided it down till the cap hit the fork and i was able to use a large adjustable wrench to start threading the cap. once it started i could take the clamp off. the clamp made the job very easy.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:18 AM
aftica
Advanced

The HD manual recommends the fork tube caps be maximum of 1/2'' above the trees. If you go any higher than that make sure you check for fender/fork brace clearance at full compression.

I lowered my front end with the ""Licks drop in'' kit (it appears to be the same as the Progressive kit). These are very easy to install and height adjustable. These kits don't shorten the compressed length of forks.
I set my forks at the highest recommended height in the trees to preserve as much preload as possible, because as you go lower with the drop in kits you will lose a bit of preload. I also replaced stock fluid with SE fork oil.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 PM
signinter
Intermediate

I have a 1" lowering kit with Licks 10" shocks and dropped the front 2" at the trees and I made the seat with about 1" of padding...I'm 5'-8" and weigh 175 lbs so I don't need a lot of travel on my suspension....I don't use this bike for long trips, most riding is about 2-3 hours long but I can't complain about the ride it's not bad at all....

Attached Thumbnails lowering front forks-bobbercafe.jpg   lowering front forks-cafe-bobber.jpg  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Funny. I have the 883L and have been looking for a way to increase the length of the front without getting new fork tubes.

Quick Reply: lowering front forks