Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorai initial review

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I read somewhere lithium ion batteries need internal circuitry to be truly compatible with the charging system unless it's designed for it. Can someone clarify that point?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
I read somewhere lithium ion batteries need internal circuitry to be truly compatible with the charging system unless it's designed for it. Can someone clarify that point?
Check this thread for more info: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...m-battery.html

If I'm not mistaken, these are lithium iron batteries rather than lithium ion.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM
BMCsteve
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

DK, do you recommend the 12 cell or 16 cell for a 1200XL?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 PM
jd_cincy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased an LFX18L1 (smaller than recommended) in order to create a bit of room inside the battery compartment for PCV cable harnesses. It worked extremely well the first 2-3 rides, but failed after and wouldn't take a charge. Shorai technical support was outstanding and swapped my battery for the LFX21L6-BS12 larger model for a small up-charge. Unfortunately, I didn't gain the space I needed...

I haven't tried the new battery as of yet, so can't comment on it.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 PM
cripple
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jd_cincy
I purchased an LFX18L1 (smaller than recommended) in order to create a bit of room inside the battery compartment for PCV cable harnesses. It worked extremely well the first 2-3 rides, but failed after and wouldn't take a charge. Shorai technical support was outstanding and swapped my battery for the LFX21L6-BS12 larger model for a small up-charge. Unfortunately, I didn't gain the space I needed...

I haven't tried the new battery as of yet, so can't comment on it.
Thats the battery I have. Im jealous of those AG ones DK sells now though.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:26 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

These things are Lithium-ion, any reference to iron is an error! I have a Shorai on my Glide, which I chose as I have a custom application, namely a 107" engine and a confined space. Mine is similar in size to a Sporty battery, but with substantially greater power, of 405CCA. So an alternative reason for getting one is if you have a highly tuned engine, which a stock battery has trouble turning over.

Shorai batteries are wired internally and a dedicated tender is available, which plugs into the battery, not onto the terminals. Obviously it charges fine on the bike!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grbrown
These things are Lithium-ion, any reference to iron is an error!
How do you figure? Lithium Iron and Lithium Ion are two different batteries.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...ttery#Vehicles
Shorai Inc. makes lithium-iron batteries for a variety of powersport vehicles (motorcycles, ATVs, etc...)

Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by X04D
How do you figure? Lithium Iron and Lithium Ion are two different batteries.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...ttery#Vehicles
Correct. A battery like referenced earlier in this thread, is clearly labeled Lithium-Iron.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:58 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Lithium batteries do NOT require a tender, they do not have a natural discharge like a lead acid.

You should never need to charge it. However, if you do accidentally drain it, we do offer a specific “smart”Lithium battery charger that is specifically for charging Lifepo4 Lithium batteries. It will charge the battery to it’s intended peak voltage and will shut off when the battery is charged.
You should NOT use a automobile or motorcycle charger that is specific to Lead/Acid batteries! They can cause damage to the batteries because they charge in a different way than a specific Lifepo4 Lithium Charger. They often have a Desulfinate feature or over voltage “Quick Charging” feature… both of which will damage the Battery.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-04-2013, 12:00 PM
sdlsaginaw
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This morning I went out to the shop to ride into work (the first clear but non-frozen day in ages) and was greeted by a dead battery. I ordered a new LiFePO4 battery from DK Customs when I got to work (in the stupid car). I should have done this months ago when the existing battery was showing signs of weakness in the warm weather. Oh well. So I sit here staring out at a beautiful day and no bike in the parking lot. Poor me. :-)

Last edited by sdlsaginaw; 01-04-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Shorai initial review