Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question Re: Lots of Low Mileage Newer Sportsters for Sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Chas63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question Re: Lots of Low Mileage Newer Sportsters for Sale

I'm considering buying a Sportster for a second bike. I have a 2005 EGC which you can see in the sig pic. Recently I've been looking at the various dealer ads as well as Cycletrader.com and Craigslist, etc.

I seem to find a lot of late model (1 to 3 years old) Sportsters with VERY LOW miles on them. While this may be a good thing as far as saving money on a lightly used bike, it also gives me some concern.

My concern, and my question is why is someone selling (or trading in) a 1 year old bike with only 600 miles on it or perhaps a 3 year old bike with 2300 miles on it? Were the bikes THAT bad that they only wanted to ride them once or twice a month or what? It's starting to make me reconsider whether I should buy a Sportster. BTW, I had a Sportster many years ago. It didn't ride like an Electra Glide, but was fun for around town and short trips.

Any advice or insight into my question?

Thanks

Old 01-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally they are on the market because someone upgraded to a larger bike or realized they don't ride enough to continue paying for it.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Xbuellrdr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a lot of the newer sporty's were purchased with the dealer giving equal trade in value with in the year. This was done to encourage buyers to keep buying bikes, so there may seem like a lot are being traded in but I wouldn't be alarmed. I got my nightster last year with 2.5k on it and it was an 08.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:28 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

what fast said. Or some hipster that got the bike and realized he couldn't ride it and needed to get a scooter instead.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:35 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. I am going to buy a used one too and have seen the same thing. For example, I found an older couple with a 48 and an iron and both have 400 miles on them at significant discounts over new. They bought them and then decided riding isn't for them. They bought a lake cabin and boat and now are selling the bikes. Lots of people buy Sportys as their first bike because of the price point. As mentioned, they then decide its not for them or they trade up for more comfort...especially for 2-up riding.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:38 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well understanding why a lot of people are selling bikes early would be a guess on anyone's part, I can say thou a friend of mine had a 2011- 1200 sportster with under 1900 miles on it and he just recently sold it, not because he didn't like, in fact he was heartbroken to see it go but with the economy being how it is and losing his job six months ago financially it was the only way to go for him..

Now when it comes to the Low mileage at least for me, will be that I have a main vehicle that I drive most of the week and only get on the bike when weather permits and I'm off work, being that I live in a major city I don't actually need to travel far for entertainment so other than casual long runs with friends on a weekend the bike doesn't log many miles. Now I'm not going to sell mine but if in a few years I decide too I'm sure the person who buys it will be asking the same question about the miles

Old 01-01-2013, 10:38 AM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I bought mine a couple years ago, I heard a lot of difference reasons from sellers. There were guys who bought bikes for their wives who then decided they didn't like riding. Guys who had them as a second bike and needed some $$$, the second bike being the first thing to go. Didn't run into anyone who traded for a bigger bike, but those are probably a lot of the used ones at dealerships.

One common thing I saw, and I am probably guessing a bit, but there were a lot of guys out there who liked the idea of owning a Harley more than they actually liked riding a Harley.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Major Thom
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some people just like having a Harley to be able to tell people they have one. I recently saw a 2002 Lowrider with 2300 miles, bone stock. Some others got a wild hair one day, then didnt care for it. They are like Jeep Wranglers, ever notice how many of those are on used car lots? By the way, I love both.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember looking at getting my first HD a year ago and the 883 seemed less intimidating. However, it only took a couple of months for me to realize that riding skills are the most important factor when riding safely, not the size or model of the bike, so I went back and got the model (a Sportster 48) that I really wanted.

Nothing wrong with the Sportster.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Brion B
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a 2009 1200 Custom in August with 210 miles.Guy bought it new for his wife and she would not ride it.November of this year I bought a 2009 Nightster with 510 miles from a woman who bought it new(Both paid upfront in cash so no liens were involved) and decided to buy a Can Am Spyder instead.A lot of different reasons will come into play why Sportsters and other bike are often sold while still having low mileage.A few years ago I also purchased two Ninja's,one with ten miles,and one with 350 miles.

Quick Reply: Question Re: Lots of Low Mileage Newer Sportsters for Sale