Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14" Saddlebags on a Sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 01:32 AM
XL Junkie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14" Saddlebags on a Sportster?

Hi all. I've been lurking around here for awhile, but finally registered so I can ask a few questions about the plans I have for my '04 XL 1200C. I wanna pick up saddlebags and was wondering if I should get 12" or 14". I'll probably be getting Willie and Max bags. Does anyone know if 14" bags will fit?

Old 08-12-2005, 02:44 PM
cbrunson
Tourer
Default RE: 14" Saddlebags on a Sportster?

I had the 14” slant bags on my ’05. They fit okay. I would not buy the W&M bags again. Every time I got rained on, everything in my bags got wet. For a comparable price, I would go with the Drifter Bags from Saddleman. The lid covers the front to help keep out rain, and curves so the bag doesn’t dig into the passenger’s legs. The large slant bags will fit according to their application chart. Best price I’ve found is Jireh Cycles.

Old 08-12-2005, 02:49 PM
SuperBee
6th Gear

Yes they will. I have the Willie & Max Fleetside Slant bags on my 05 XL1200C - no issues. If you go to www.ghostbrackets.com and look in teh "Testimonials" section you'll see a picture of my bike with the bags with a short slide show giving you an idea of what the set-up looks like. I'm not affiliated with Ghost Brackets - they just treated my right with the questions I had. I sent in the photos for their own purpose and they wanted to put them up. My dad is now looking at some Willie & Max bags because the HD bags on his 2001 Dyna have much smaller openings for "stuff" than those on my lil' old Sporty. Good luck!
Just as a note - I now have a rigid mount sissybar on the bike which keeps the bags close to the bike. If you go with a quick release sissybar the bags will probably stick out another 3/4"-1" due to the necessary hardware (FYI).

Old 08-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

SuperBee,
Are you saying you have no leaks in the rain with your Willie and Max slant bags? (by the way, they look GREAT on your bike!) I don't see an "overlapping" top in the front of those bags, where the American Series do - how do things stay dry in therewithout the overlapping top? By the way, those Ghost Brackets look like something I will use!

cbrunson,

I'm confused as to why the American Series bags would get things wet in the rain with that overlapping top. Is the water permeating the material itself, or being driven in through the top some way?

Any info either of you can add would be greatly appreciated, as I too am looking at Willie and Max bags and like the American Series.

Thanks in advance!

Thumper26

Old 08-12-2005, 07:37 PM
cbrunson
Tourer

These are the ones I had. The front flap is new I guess. Mine didn't have it.
http://www.buywillieandmax.com/pd_sb700.cfm#

These are the ones I like better http://www.saddlemen.com/express_drifter.html

# 5393 Large Slant Saddlebags:
15.5" x 9.5" x 5" (1500 cu. in. capacity per set)

Old 08-16-2005, 09:54 PM
XL Junkie
Advanced

Thanks all for the help. I'll be going with the larger size, but now I'm stuck between Saddlemen and Willie & Max.

These:
http://www.saddlemen.com/express_drifter.html

or These:
http://www.buywillieandmax.com/pd_sb802_raptor.cfm

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Old 08-16-2005, 10:33 PM
Johnny
Outstanding HDF Member

Get the saddleman bags. They have what is called a box top(it overhans the sides) thus keeping the contents of the bag sealed from the elements....unlike the Willie and Max

Old 08-18-2005, 03:06 PM
cbrunson
Tourer

better quality too.

Old 08-18-2005, 03:15 PM
XL Junkie
Advanced

Will I have to relocate the turn signals for the 15" bags?

Old 08-19-2005, 11:43 AM
SuperBee
6th Gear

Thumper:

I apologize about the delinquency in this response to your question about the "Over Lap" on my Willie & Max bags. There is obviously the flap that lays over the top of the bag but on the lead edge of the bag itself (closest) to the rider, there is an overlap of about 2" that starts on the side nearest the face side of the bag and angles to the rear - top corner of the bag closest to the bike. I know that probably sounds confusing. Anyway - once you open the bag there is another flap that runs the length (front to rear) that snaps in the middle and also covers the opening. And as an added insurance of keeping moisture out of the bag....I do all I can to avoid riding in the rain Hope this answers your question. And thanks for the kind words about the bike. Since this photo I've added a Short Rigid Mount Sissy Bar, Dyno Jet Kit, SEII Air Cleaner & Cycle Shack SS Slip-Ons. WOW!

Quick Reply: 14" Saddlebags on a Sportster?