Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster charging system help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012 | 11:45 PM
Rick Thompson, Tejano
|
5th Gear
Default Sportster charging system help

2000 Sportster 1200 Custom / Stock

Having charging system problems.

Bought the bike used a month ago, immaculate condition with only 2,449 original miles on the clock.

Battery was 5 years old so I replaced it from the get go....charged new HARLEY battery up prior and after install with trickle charger...was fully charged.

Went out for a ride today and it turned over VERY slow at first but did fire and run normally....shoulda been a clue that something was amiss, but it was a beautiful day and I wanted to get out in it.

After grabbing a bite to eat....came back out and it would not start...turned over very slowly...then click, click, click, click....very low battery.

Tried to push start it...no luck...pretty tough to push start a 600 pound scoot.

Was near a mechanic shop and got a jump start and it ran fine home...then the speedo quick working right, lights did not work right, turn signals did not work right...low or dead battery I assume...at least I made it home.

Can the experts tell me what to check? Bad fuse? Loose wires?

I do not have a any accessories or alarm system that would tend to drain the battery...is there anything that would discharge the battery that I don't know about? (electronic speedometer, etc).

Since it is a new battery (assuming it was good from Harley dealer) and had been charged thoroughly I find it odd that it had discharged in a week and a half OR two weeks.

For now I will charge the battery, check the connections, and give it a general look over, check the connection at the voltage regulator.

I am not skilled enough to check the bike's charging system to see if it is producing a charge with an electrical meter / volt meter...maybe I can find a friend locally who is.

Thanks in advance. Rick, La Vernia....just outside San Antonio a piece.

Old 12-23-2012 | 12:06 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Most common problem with sportys are the battery cables loose or corroded. That would be where I would start. I also had a bad cable once because it kinda gets tweeked going through the back of the battery box.

Hi neighbor

Old 12-23-2012 | 09:45 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

How are you charging the battery? The guy I bought my Sporty from last year cooked its brand new battery using a big *** car charger. So one of the parts I needed to replace during the rebuild was that brand new HD battery. You should have this on a trickle charger as noted above in your post.

And yes, be sure to check all the cables. I know getting to them on that bike is a PITA, but take your time and get it right.

If all that is good you need to begin working your way through the electrical system, so get yourself a shop manual. And check the voltage regulator. It is frame mounted behind the front tire.

Old 12-23-2012 | 10:03 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Check the voltage regulator and stator as per the manual to see if they are functioning correct.

Old 12-23-2012 | 11:15 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by rooti
Most common problem with sportys are the battery cables loose or corroded. That would be where I would start. I also had a bad cable once because it kinda gets tweeked going through the back of the battery box.

Hi neighbor
+1 - check BOTH ends of BOTH cables for clean and tight.

Old 12-23-2012 | 11:39 AM
Rick Thompson, Tejano
|
5th Gear

I only use a trickle charger: Battery Tender.

For now I am charging the battery and will double check my battery cables and connections.

Someday soon I need to learn how to use a volt meter; just been somewhat intimidated of them...not an electronics type person.

Could it be a bad fuse somewhere?

I do have a HD shop manual for this bike and have been skimming through it too.

Seems like it would have to be: bad cable connections, bad connection somewhere else, bad regulator or bad stator.

Thanks....Rick

PS ROOTI do you ever make it down to Texas Pride BBQ on the SE side of SA? I did an all Sportster show there last fall: "SPORTSTERFEST" Had a good turn out, but wanted more Sportsters.

Old 12-23-2012 | 12:09 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by Rick Thompson, Tejano
I only use a trickle charger: Battery Tender.

For now I am charging the battery and will double check my battery cables and connections.

Someday soon I need to learn how to use a volt meter; just been somewhat intimidated of them...not an electronics type person.

Could it be a bad fuse somewhere?

I do have a HD shop manual for this bike and have been skimming through it too.

Seems like it would have to be: bad cable connections, bad connection somewhere else, bad regulator or bad stator.

Thanks....Rick

PS ROOTI do you ever make it down to Texas Pride BBQ on the SE side of SA? I did an all Sportster show there last fall: "SPORTSTERFEST" Had a good turn out, but wanted more Sportsters.
You said your new, fully charged battery cranked the bike slowly the first time you started it.

That indicates your immediate problem has nothing to do with the stator, regulator, or fuses.

Old 12-23-2012 | 08:48 PM
Rick Thompson, Tejano
|
5th Gear

cHarley,

Please let me clarify.

I bought a new battery and fully charged it two weeks ago.

Rode the bike several times during the two weeks and never gave it any thought because the bike started and ran great.

When I started out yesterday I should have had a clue my battery was too low as the bike cranked slow, but the bike started and ran well as I headed out.

I went for a 25 mile round trip ride, stopped to get a bite to eat and when I came back out the battery was too low to start the bike.

So two weeks ago I had a new fully charged battery and rode the bike several times and at the end of the two weeks the battery was drained.

Something somewhere is amiss. For now I am charging the battery and checking the cables for clean contact and tightness.

Next I think I will try to get a voltmeter on the regulator / stator and see if I have output.

Even though the battery is new I may run it to my local Napa and have it tested as well.

Thanks....Rick

Old 12-23-2012 | 09:34 PM
gilmour68
Road Master

Sounds a lot like a charging system problem to me. I'd recommend trying this -- open the inspection cover in the primary and if the stator has burned out you'll notice a strong smell. If you drain the primary oil it will be very dark also.

I've had two stators go in the past year and both times they produced a strong odor. Might be a shortcut in determining if you've got a faulty stator. If so, I have a new Accel stator that I'm looking to sell.

Attached Thumbnails Sportster charging system help-img_0461.jpg  
Old 12-24-2012 | 06:52 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Yea, you need to get a voltmeter and figure out how to use it.

A fully charged battery should measure => 12.6 volts.
With the bike running at a fast idle (~1500 rpm) and measuring from ground to the positive battery terminal, you should get between 13.5 - 14.8 volts. If it's less than 13.5 volts, you've likely got a bad stator, regulator, or both.

Quick Reply: Sportster charging system help