Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger peg brackets

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 07:36 PM
outdoorgirl57
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger peg brackets

Has anybody here removed their stock ones and put on the chrome ones? I can't get the damn screws to budge.[sm=headbang.gif] Anybody have any bright ideas? May be time for a he-man contest again!(Last time, there was red loc-tite on the damn thing. Heat didn't even work!)

Old 02-03-2007, 11:59 PM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Passenger peg brackets

I just removed the ones from the wifes '07 1200L, because she didn't want to be in the position where someone may ask for a ride. I am going to assume the are mounted the same on the '06 and '07. I just used a hex bit socket on a ratchet. They were on pretty good, but they came off. I don't recall seeing any loc tite residue on the bolts, though. If you are having difficulty, I would recommend using a hex bit socket with a breaker bar, or an allen wrench with a pipe over it for leverage.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-04-2007, 12:04 AM
utz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had to remove mine at one point and yes they were on real tight but they came loose you can do it.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:31 AM
eggroll
Road Master

They're like the allen head bolts on the auxiliary light clamps: so damn tight I mayhaveto drill them out[:@]. I tried to get those things to turn (the ones on the right side did), but I can feel the hex starting to strip. Hope you get yours out without too much more difficulty.[&:]

Old 02-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine came right off, sorry man.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:07 AM
outdoorgirl57
Road Master

Thanks for the feedback. I guess if I'm gonna keep adding' stuff to this bike, I better invest in a hex socket set. Harley must be tired of jokes about parts falling off of the bikes! Sure isn't gonna happen now![:@]

Old 02-05-2007, 01:38 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: outdoorgirl57

Thanks for the feedback. I guess if I'm gonna keep adding' stuff to this bike, I better invest in a hex socket set. Harley must be tired of jokes about parts falling off of the bikes! Sure isn't gonna happen now![:@]
Yes, get a good set of hex and tork sockets. But more importantly, use the same Loctite Blue that HD used to install those bolts to begin with!!!

Old 02-05-2007, 02:12 AM
DaveJ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

Yes, get a good set of hex and tork sockets. But more importantly, use the same Loctite Blue that HD used to install those bolts to begin with!!!
If you have to remove any torx bolts, replace them with allen-head bolts!!! [sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 02-05-2007, 09:31 AM
outdoorgirl57
Road Master

ORIGINAL: djohnston
If you have to remove any torx bolts, replace them with allen-head bolts!!! [sm=goodidea.gif]
They ARE allen-head bolts! And with regular "L" shaped allen wrenches...I can'tget them to budge![sm=headbang.gif] (and there are 4 to get out...one is beside the pipes!) I looked at Lowe's for a socket/wrench set that had hex bits...but none were large enough for my bolts. Going to take it to a friend's next weekend and let the guys try.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:29 PM
DaveJ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: outdoorgirl57

ORIGINAL: djohnston
They ARE allen-head bolts! And with regular "L" shaped allen wrenches...I can'tget them to budge![sm=headbang.gif] (and there are 4 to get out...one is beside the pipes!) I looked at Lowe's for a socket/wrench set that had hex bits...but none were large enough for my bolts. Going to take it to a friend's next weekend and let the guys try.
Understand. Sportypig suggested getting a torx set also(which is a good idea). I was just expanding on his thought.

Do you have a Sears nearby? I like to buy my tools there. If not, I would try the local hardware store.

Quick Reply: Passenger peg brackets