Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust baffles

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012 | 07:52 PM
Otter
Road Master

Originally Posted by franco802
Funny, I just purchased some V&H baffles for my short shots today from ebay. I heard they help a little and give a deeper tone.
I would say that they are very nearly a waste of money. You'll have to decide for yourself, but I would lower your expectations..

Old 12-26-2012 | 08:01 PM
franco802
Cruiser

Originally Posted by One*
I would say that they are very nearly a waste of money. You'll have to decide for yourself, but I would lower your expectations..
I mostly got them for the deeper tone than anything else. They sound pretty cool on youtube, but i guess we will see.

Old 12-28-2012 | 12:43 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member

So let me get this right? You don't want it loud at all, but yet you took off the stock pipes for a V&H system and now it's loud-UM YEAH!!!!! LOL. I have the baffles out of my Martin Bro's pipes and and it's been like that for a few years now and I love it! I'm not sure why anyone would want to ride a quiet bike? I say sell the V&H system and put the stockers back on as if you want super quiet it's the only way it's going to happen.

Old 12-28-2012 | 01:09 PM
Otter
Road Master

Originally Posted by xl50#674
so let me get this right? You don't want it loud at all, but yet you took off the stock pipes for a v&h system and now it's loud-um yeah!!!!! Lol. I have the baffles out of my martin bro's pipes and and it's been like that for a few years now and i love it! I'm not sure why anyone would want to ride a quiet bike? I say sell the v&h system and put the stockers back on as if you want super quiet it's the only way it's going to happen.
I, um, BOUGHT IT THAT WAY!!!

Last edited by Otter; 12-28-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-28-2012 | 01:13 PM
Otter
Road Master

I don't want it super quiet, I just don't want it ear-splittingly loud. I would also like to go to a 2 into 1 system for better performance. Also the blackout is long, and the exit is not even with my right ear, which I am assuming will help. And I also already wear earplugs before you point out that mysterious solution...

Old 12-28-2012 | 11:23 PM
ev0lution7
Tourer

i got this and with the "db killer baffle" it is quieter and still makes good sound and a nice rumble!!!

Old 12-28-2012 | 11:27 PM
Otter
Road Master

I looked at that pipe first, partially due to finding your videos on you tube. Didn't you have the pipes break on you? and then have to add another brace to the pipe in order to keep it from breaking again, or was that someone else? At any rate, it was that pipe, and the thread I was reading about the break had someone else chime in and say that theirs did the same thing. That pretty much put me off of the pipe.

Sorry Cripple, don't mean to be fishlippin' your thread..

Old 12-30-2012 | 08:59 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member

I bought the V&H straightshot slip-ons and the baffle that came with them was super loud so I then purchased the Quite baffles and it did tone it down, it made the sound more deeper/ baser a lower thump which I like far better..

Beware, the Quite baffles is nothing more than another baffle and a sheet of fiberglass which you need to wrap around the baffle and insert it into the pipe - which at least in my case was a job by itself due to the lack of space allowing the mesh to easily slide in, it kept balling up and all they (V & H) supply you with is a piece of tape that doesn't do sh#t, The trick to install the baffles correctly is to get 20 gauge wire (found at many craft stores) and wrap it around the mesh and tie it off this compacts the mesh making installation a breeze and saving a headache.

Old 12-31-2012 | 10:03 AM
883Frankenbike
Tourer

I gutted the baffles in my SE IIs. Too quiet. I put a set of torque cones at the top end of the exhaust as I have a carbed 06 883 and needed the torque and it made the adjustment on the carb much easier. Rejetted the carb with CVProducts kit. Bike is too loud and caused problems in my right ear. I installed a set of Thunder Torque Inserts from DK Customs and really got the sound I was looking for and no loss of power. I used the 158 W TTI and they were perfect. Kevin of DK Customs answered all my questions before I purchased them. Here's a link to their page with a video. http://dkcustomproducts.com/Thunder-...DK-TTI-158.htm
They sound even better on the my bike than they do on the video. And, you can adjust for the type of sound you are looking for according to how you turn them into the exhaust flow. Very economical and awesome sound. Check them out.

Old 12-31-2012 | 10:18 AM
Otter
Road Master

Originally Posted by 883Frankenbike
I gutted the baffles in my SE IIs. Too quiet. I put a set of torque cones at the top end of the exhaust as I have a carbed 06 883 and needed the torque and it made the adjustment on the carb much easier. Rejetted the carb with CVProducts kit. Bike is too loud and caused problems in my right ear. I installed a set of Thunder Torque Inserts from DK Customs and really got the sound I was looking for and no loss of power. I used the 158 W TTI and they were perfect. Kevin of DK Customs answered all my questions before I purchased them. Here's a link to their page with a video. http://dkcustomproducts.com/Thunder-...DK-TTI-158.htm
They sound even better on the my bike than they do on the video. And, you can adjust for the type of sound you are looking for according to how you turn them into the exhaust flow. Very economical and awesome sound. Check them out.
I just discovered these this morning, and am looking for someone who's put them in shortshots. I love the appearance of these pipes, especially after I worked them over, so I would love to find a way to tone them down a bit. I was thinking of fabbing up some lollipops for myself to try when I stumbled onto these. Not sure how I missed these before as I have bout several products from DK thus far. I might have to get a set to review if I can't find anyone who's done it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust baffles