Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag bar insanity.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007 | 05:51 PM
saltlick
|
Road Warrior
Default Drag bar insanity.

Okay ive lost my mind now. I put the drag bars i bought from kcint.com on my bike finally and wow wouldnt you know it the dam things dont fit. They dont show it on the website, and dont explain it in the details, they just say 6" riser T bars. The pullback though is way too extreme for a peanut tank. [:@]Now i have to ship those bars back to ohio, which will cost me and then pay shipping againfrom this place to my house....[:@] anyways....so,this time I amgetting 4.5 inch STRAIGHT risers with the beefy drag bars....WILL THESE FIT? Has anyone actually put 4.5" STRAIGHT risers and a drag bar on a sportster with a peanut tank? If so, where are the pics......i dont want this to happen again. I am pretty dam sure straight risers will do the trick. I have a 2001 (no its not a custom). Thanks guys!

Old 02-02-2007 | 06:22 PM
wannahdawg
Road Captain
Default RE: Drag bar insanity.

why would the pullback risers not work? just a question. i bought my risers from hd, 4.5 pullbacks. you also might want to make sure that the bar thickness will fit into the risers. if the 'beefy' bars are to thick then the bars won't fit into the riser itself.

later,

wanna

ps look at my sig. and you'll see that the riser's do work and i did have drag bars on there. mines an '02. and here's another picture just for reference.

Old 02-02-2007 | 06:58 PM
saltlick
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: wannahdawg

why would the pullback risers not work? just a question. i bought my risers from hd, 4.5 pullbacks. you also might want to make sure that the bar thickness will fit into the risers. if the 'beefy' bars are to thick then the bars won't fit into the riser itself.

later,

wanna

ps look at my sig. and you'll see that the riser's do work and i did have drag bars on there. mines an '02. and here's another picture just for reference.
These bars are wierd, you cant see it in the pic on thier website i guess i should have asked, but the pullback is pretty drastic and the bend starts to soon. You only get 3" of straight bar then they pullback for the remaining 4.5 inches, its like the opposite of what ive seen on most bars. Most bars the straight part is the longest part then the pullback on the risers is towards the top. Heres a pic of the bars, you can kind of see what i mean. When i put them on the bars came out over the gas tank hoveringclose to thegas cap like only 1/2" above the cap, and when i turned the wheel the bars came very close to the tank, no way with controls they would ever make it. Either that website sucks and they need to expand more on thier description, or i suck and need to learn more. I think its a little of both. Remember this pic i attached does not show the true tilt you get when putting these actually on the bike with the way the forks are titled as well.

Old 02-02-2007 | 08:32 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

Well, by looking at the picture, the bent is right in the middle and it is bent so much, no wonder why it hits the gas tank. The one wannahdawg has is totally different, the HD pull riser is 4 inch up and pullback 2 inches, it will not hit the gas tank. I bet you have to look for T-bar 4 inches up and 2 inches pullback, that will give you enough clearance.

Old 02-02-2007 | 08:40 PM
saltlick
|
Road Warrior

yeah, im just going with the 4.5" straight risers and drag bar. Man what a sad feeling after hooking those up. i think they need to either take a side pic closeup of those bars for the website, or describe them better.

Old 02-03-2007 | 12:40 AM
utz
Outstanding HDF Member

That sucks but you will get it right.

Old 02-03-2007 | 01:40 PM
wannahdawg
Road Captain

wow saltlick. totally different. well sorry i couldn't help you, but good luck at getting your new ones.

later,

wanna

Old 02-03-2007 | 05:07 PM
saltlick
|
Road Warrior

Thats cool ill try it again. I just put in an order for 4.5" straight risers, chrome handlebar clamp, and some chubby bars (1 1/4" bars tapered down to 1" where the risers and grips go on) so i know this time they will work. At least i learned alot doing all this, how to relocate my turn signals, speedo, how to take the current risers/handlebars off and a little bit about the different drag bars. My mistake cost me $30 for shipping total ($15 both ways) oh well it could have been worse.

Old 02-03-2007 | 07:36 PM
wannahdawg
Road Captain

cool man. you can say that you put them on, and you didn't have the dealer put em on. that's always a plus. you can also provide somebody else advice on what to look out for if they're talking about doing it.

later,

wanna.

Old 02-03-2007 | 10:10 PM
sportin_2007
Tourer

Thats eBay for ya. I think we all told you about this months ago when you started asking what worked and what you should buy, and many told you what worked, then you went and bought something else. Oh well!

Quick Reply: Drag bar insanity.