Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forty-Eight, Four Hundred Dollar Service?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Methinks it's just about being one.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:34 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,344 Posts

I'd just do the service myself if I were you. Take a look at all your fasteners, check cable adjustments. Change engine oil and primary/transmission fluids, both super easy jobs. Check lights, flashers, and brake lights. Check tire pressures and drive belt tension. That's about it at 1000.

John

Old 12-05-2012, 08:36 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
Methinks it's just about being one.
Yep, and proud of it.
But I'm hardly the oldest fart here, just the only one with the title.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
I'd just do the service myself if I were you. Take a look at all your fasteners, check cable adjustments. Change engine oil and primary/transmission fluids, both super easy jobs. Check lights, flashers, and brake lights. Check tire pressures and drive belt tension. That's about it at 1000.

John
Just be sure to save your receipts, like for the oil, filter, etc, and document the bike's mileage, the date you did the work, and note what you changed, adjusted, checked, etc.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The 1,000 mile service on a 48 can be done by a novice wrencher. It does require an investment of about $200. I had to buy every basic tool (oil catch pan, torque wrench, you name it) and the $60 Service Manual. The manual is a must-have. It is well-written with lots if pictures for newbies like me.

If you decide to try it and get stuck, just ask. I'll answer any "dumb questions", since I've had to figure them out through trial and error or have already asked.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
The 1,000 mile service on a 48 can be done by a novice wrencher. It does require an investment of about $200. I had to buy every basic tool (oil catch pan, torque wrench, you name it) and the $60 Service Manual. The manual is a must-have. It is well-written with lots if pictures for newbies like me.

If you decide to try it and get stuck, just ask. I'll answer any "dumb questions", since I've had to figure them out through trial and error or have already asked.
So how much is going to cost the next service?

Old 12-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
So how much is going to cost the next service?
Ha! Under $50. That covers the cost of oil, filter and lunch.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Larry Bernard
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing good about going to the dealer is you know what and where you got it done... They do have good mechanics but it's a revolving door at Harley (Speaking from experience) so you never know who is there or how reliable they are. With that said, I will never go there unless I have to. They are a bunch of crooks and do not care at all for your bike or the owner, it's all about $$ to them. (With the exception of a select few)
I use to work there and I left because I could not deal with people who not only had no care for the bike or the ride but was all aboubt the money. From parts to service to the sale floor, it IS all about the sale over there... I know this because I worked in each department. I started in parts and thought maybe it was just my supervisor so I moved to sales thinking the love of getting people on a new bike would be awesome, it was... but some of the things they wanted me to do were terrible. they would stab their own mother in the back for a dollar. Hence, I went in the back because I wanted no part of that... It was no different. So, I left Harley all together. Sad but true, Harley is not about bikes, riding bikes, or for the love of it at all anymore. It has sadly become a yuppy/salesman's world.
Well, that was my more than 2 cents LOL

Old 12-05-2012, 12:33 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Yep, and proud of it.
But I'm hardly the oldest fart here, just the only one with the title.

I could be mistaken but I believe you asked either a mod or admin and they put "old fart" there for you? If the powers at HDForums deem you worthy, they oblige you. I've been wrong in the past but generally that's how it's done.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:39 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Just be sure to save your receipts, like for the oil, filter, etc, and document the bike's mileage, the date you did the work, and note what you changed, adjusted, checked, etc.
+1

I keep my receipts in my owner's manual. I just did my 5000 mile service the other day. It's 3rd oil/filter change since I got the bike in April with 1100 miles.

Quick Reply: Forty-Eight, Four Hundred Dollar Service?