Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Wetfeet
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handlebar swap

Hi, I recently posted an inquiry about some bent handlebars and found out they're too bent to fix. I did in fact find the exact replacement but have run into a couple problems. I have a 2003 Sportster Custom, as mentioned the bars on right now were bent and have the speedo/dummy lights welded on. 9" rise, 9,5" pullback ("Smuggler Drag Risers").
So I am open to....

1. Putting the exact same replacement ones back on but will need to be very crafty with relocating the speedo and lights as the riser part of the bars are solid (good for hiding wires), so nowhere to mount anything on the bar without welding and re-chroming - which I don't want to do. The Custom model is practically impossible to find anything that works. I did see the side mount option from Joker (no dummy lights for Custom), and the cheaper Auto bracket (also no dummy lights)

2. Installing a completely new system, be it riser/bar seperately, or one piece handlebar. Then I could perhaps use the stock mounting system for the speedo and lights, if I could find somewhere that sells the darn thing.

One note: I *assume * but can't confirm all the cables/wires were lengthened and they were indeed upgraded to SS, so I don't want a new set up that would would require changing any of that again. Also I'm not sure I need or care for that much rise, but I'm not opposed to it, they're comfortable, would like to stay with a lower bar, not the ape style.

Anyone ever rewire their pre 2004 Custom to work with the crazy expensive Joker relocation speedo with lights kit?

Anybody have any ideas or did something similar on their bike?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice, sorry for long post.

I'll add a photo of what I have now since that seems to help ppl

Attached Thumbnails Handlebar swap-image.jpg  
Old 12-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Wetfeet
Novice
Default "Custom" drag bars anyone?

Anyone? Any information?

How about just anyone with a 2003 or earlier Sportster "Custom" that changed handlebars to pullback drag bars with a little rise, which bars did you use? Did you maintain your stock risers and speedo set-up?
I'm open to just about anything as long as it works!

Last edited by Wetfeet; 12-05-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 12-05-2012, 06:56 PM
$eventy2T
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PM me. I have an entire black PC clamp/detachable speedo mount here sitting off of an 86' xl if that helps.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:03 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You could look here:

http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson.com/ and click the OEM parts finder, that will show you what was originally stock on your bike. I know on the newer rubbermounts, the bulbs can be pulled out of the dummy light strip and clipped into another riser that has the stip built in.

Your best bet might be to find someone who has a takeoff from the same year, or another year Custom that uses the same dummy light setup. I'd post in the classified section here and at the XL forum, lots of people swap risers, especially the stock ones on the Customs. An '03 part that is marked as an 100 year edition or whatever might be expensive though.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:53 PM
jmann8686
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Any better pics. And your speedo and idiot lights are actually welded to the bars. That makes no sence. My buddy has a 03 custom and changed his bars and had no problem.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Wetfeet
Novice

"And your speedo and idiot lights are actually welded to the bars. That makes no sence. My buddy has a 03 custom and changed his bars and had no problem."

Yes I agree! The original owner (I'm the third) did that, for what reason I do not know. I guess if the bike didn't tip over it wouldn't be a problem. So I'm trying to figure out how in the world to fix what I thought otherwise would be pretty simple. I've spent countless hours searching for parts, reading forums, etc. I just want to ride it! Actually I have a bit, but the bent bars are just stupid.

I figure since I'm having to practically replace half of the handlebar area it'd be cool to customize it a bit, but at this point its becoming difficult to make it all sync together. I'm about ready to just walk in to a HD dealership and order all the stock stuff, maybe just a different handlebar.

Thanks $eventy2T, I'm going to look that up right now and see if it works.
Thanks edgeofinsanity, I will look at that link right now too, I feel like your title name trying to just get a gawd dang handlebar and speedo set-up to work.
jman8686, I will post another photo or two of the bars. Actually I did post a few pics in another post where I was looking for help on what parts I have.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Wetfeet
Novice
Default Photo

Front handlebar

Attached Thumbnails Handlebar swap-image.jpg  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Wetfeet
Novice
Default Photo2