Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with the brakelight conversion kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 09:19 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Problem with the brakelight conversion kit

Picked up the auxiliary brake light kit and the signal relocation kit yesterday. I tried to install the brake kit first -- no luck. I pulled off the seat and plugged it in -- nothing. The turn signals worked, but no tail light function. I unplugged the box and checked the connection. It seems pretty simple - there's only one way it can go in. Tried it again and same results. I just took it off the bike, replaced the seat and moved on to the signal relocation - which worked fine. Has anyone else had a problem like this?? I guess I'll return it and try the replacement. Just my luck!!!!

Old 02-01-2007, 09:28 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Problem with the brakelight conversion kit

It's really simple to install, so it sounds like a defect.

(the part, not the installer )

Old 02-01-2007, 09:31 PM
brauny1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya, when I installed the first one only one side worked. My stealer called and they sent a new kit. The second time I rode my bike in, took the seat off and installed it on the spot. Expect support, make sure you get what you paid for, its a kit worth having...

Old 02-01-2007, 09:33 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 268 Likes on 165 Posts

Yes I have.

The first part was faulty and kicked off the battery idiot light. The dealer tried to say that they wouldnt take it back. I started to get a little loud; went back on a Saturday around 11am, they changed their tune. They gave me another but insisted that they "install it for me". Like working with Cisco devices and other computers for the last 26 years hasnt exposed me to a male and female connector. In fact, I did as the directions say and removed the Maxi fuse. They did not. At any rate its ok now. Get an occasional battery light but just put the tender on and its ok.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:04 PM
gilmour68
Road Master

I think it's a defect also. I'll have to take it back to the company I bought it from (not a stealer). The only downside is that I'll probably have to wait about a week (or more) until I get a replacement. Now a question for those of you who have installed the kit. Did you go with the supplied red lenses (and clear bulbs) or did you use some other combination? I was trying to use red bulbs with smoked lenses and the end result seemed more orange or amber rather than red. I may end up going with the supplied red lenses after all, I don't know how it would look with anything else. Kinda sorry I spent $13 additional for the red bulbs and another $5 for the smoked lenses if it doesn't work out. Live and learn....

Old 02-01-2007, 10:12 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

I dont know man ... I just used the red lenses dat came with the Harley kit. Looks ok ...I really needed to get lite up back there. Get caught at work sometimes and find myself driving home at 1 or 2 in the morning. Like I said in another post ..... I want the drunk who rear ends me to see what hes hitting ....[8D]

Old 02-01-2007, 11:13 PM
sctusa
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: gilmour68

I think it's a defect also. I'll have to take it back to the company I bought it from (not a stealer). The only downside is that I'll probably have to wait about a week (or more) until I get a replacement. Now a question for those of you who have installed the kit. Did you go with the supplied red lenses (and clear bulbs) or did you use some other combination? I was trying to use red bulbs with smoked lenses and the end result seemed more orange or amber rather than red. I may end up going with the supplied red lenses after all, I don't know how it would look with anything else. Kinda sorry I spent $13 additional for the red bulbs and another $5 for the smoked lenses if it doesn't work out. Live and learn....
Mine hooked right up, no problem. I use the red lenses and it works good. But now I replaced the 1156 bulbs with RED LED bulbs and WOW, that really lit things up...I also added a 6" LED light bar and mounted it on top of the license bracket. Added the back-off module to that for run/stop. (Blinky-Blink)...If they can't see the back of the bike now, they gotta be blind...

Old 02-05-2007, 02:27 PM
gilmour68
Road Master

I dropped off the kit Friday afternoon and I received a call this morning (Monday) about the unit. I explained what was going on and the shop said they were going to test it out and get back to me. I received my call a few minutes later - they said it worked fine when connected to another bike at the shop...The shop then placed a call to an H-Ddealer and couldn't give an explanation as to why it didn't work on my bike. As I stated in an earlier post, the installation couldn't be easier or more foolproof. With the module connected, the rear (red) bulbs were working fine as turn signals, but didn't operate as brake or tail lights.The shop said that maybe the bulbs I installed (red bulbs w/smoked lenses) were causing the problem and suggested that I change them back to the stock bulbs and try it again. I don't really think the bulbs could cause something like this, what do you think?? It will be a couple of days before I can stop by and pick up the kit, so I won't get to try anything right away. Just looking for some opinions...

Old 02-05-2007, 07:10 PM
CHASE
Cruiser

I hooked mine up Saturday, and the only problem I had was, the 07s plug was not where the instructions had the 04s-06s, so I had to call the dealer, and they told me it was under my ECM, not, its under the cross member right in front of where the bolt where the seat latches on, but once the plug was found, everything worked fine, and I did use the stock bulbs

Old 02-05-2007, 10:53 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

I seem to remember two part numbers. Lemme see if I can find them both. Not sure if I stilll got them ... but will check around on me pc. .....as for the bulbs. I suppose its possible if the bulbs are drawing to much current. But the 06 883 Standard has a electrical system rated at 22 amps I believe ... those would be some bright freekin lights man !!! Sounds like BS to me.

Quick Reply: Problem with the brakelight conversion kit