Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best stage 1 air cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012 | 02:26 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks. I ran across that one before. Not a real fan of it, but I don't think that's for FI Sportsters.

Old 12-03-2012 | 04:35 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by tricycledrayber
I got the 8-inch round Evo cover that says Harley Davidson on it. It shouldn't be a problem then Any performance comments on this setup : 1200C, VH shortshots, XiED, DK Outlaw intake?

Can you also give me a quote on the Sportster kit without the cover?
Cool, when you get it installed would love some pics.

That is a good set-up and you are going to be pretty impressed with the extra power and smoothness in acceleration. The only thing I would add to it is the W118 Thunder Torques, you will pick up some good low and mid range power. The short shots, look and sound good, but suffer a bit on low and mid range power.

Can't do it online, but if you call in your order, we can give you a discounted price for a system with no cover.

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-11-2016 | 05:48 PM
zegeli
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DK Custom Products
Cool, when you get it installed would love some pics.

That is a good set-up and you are going to be pretty impressed with the extra power and smoothness in acceleration. The only thing I would add to it is the W118 Thunder Torques, you will pick up some good low and mid range power. The short shots, look and sound good, but suffer a bit on low and mid range power.

Can't do it online, but if you call in your order, we can give you a discounted price for a system with no cover.
Is the performance drop on short shots really noticeable?? I have been reading about the performance issues of Short Shots but wanted to know if its really noticeable riding around.

Old 10-11-2016 | 06:37 PM
Ryan42
Road Master

Originally Posted by zegeli
Is the performance drop on short shots really noticeable?? I have been reading about the performance issues of Short Shots but wanted to know if its really noticeable riding around.
yes it is noticeable

Old 10-11-2016 | 07:27 PM
JayTee2015
Tourer

Originally Posted by Thumper26
I DO like the look of the Ham Can A/C - stock or SE. That shape just looks absolutely great on the bike, and the SE version very effectively opens the intake and provides a good amount of more air.
I agree.
One thing I would like to see is the difference in CFM air flow WITH the same particle filtering capability . . .between a a fabric replacement Ham Can air filter and all these other round, square, cone, etc after market air filters. I mean. . I do like the Ham Can as well and I think with an aftermarket fabric replacement filter it would have a generous CFM flow rate. The Ham Can is HUGE. . .I am running a fabric aftermarket air filter in the Ham can. works great.

Are there any charts showing what the CFM is on all these other filters?

All I read is how great they look or that they "really improve the breathing". So. . . . if someone know of any charts online or here stating CFM I think others would like to know also.

Last edited by JayTee2015; 10-11-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-13-2016 | 01:56 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master

Originally Posted by tricycledrayber
Cool... hey I just bought XiEDs from DK Customs... to be added to my 2012 Sporty with VH Shortshots... I already bought an HD Evo cover...

The question is will the outlaw fit inside the Evo cover? (Don't ask me why I got that cover, it's personal)

I would look into a fuel moto micro tuner. for the price that tuner would be better then the Xied. They work but it seems after awhile people just dump them for a tuner. mirco tuner/power commander or FP3 are good if you dont want to pony up for the power Vision.

Old 10-13-2016 | 02:25 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by drinktothat421
I would look into a fuel moto micro tuner. for the price that tuner would be better then the Xied. They work but it seems after awhile people just dump them for a tuner. mirco tuner/power commander or FP3 are good if you dont want to pony up for the power Vision.

Old 10-17-2016 | 02:14 PM
Khibbs
Intermediate

Can some elaborate on the difference from one of these Stage 1 A/C kits to installing a K&N filter and opening up the stock cover for better flow? Is there something else that is done with venting or directing air to the throttle body?

I've got a 2014 883 Iron with V&H Short Shots that runs pretty well and I'm just trying to understand the major difference I would realize with making the jump to one of the units mentioned here.

Just as an FYI on the Short Shots, I've got the Quiet Baffles AND a set of Smartpartz Hard Kore baffles (because they were so loud) and it's increased the back pressure a bit and it feels like it has more pull at lower rpms.

Thanks!

Last edited by Khibbs; 10-17-2016 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Added notes on Short Shots
Old 10-17-2016 | 07:18 PM
Rob Robb
Tourer

I've got the DK Customs 636V outlaw AC with the largest round K&N filter option & love the looks & performance of it
You can always hang that cover on your wall as a peice of art

Old 11-11-2016 | 02:17 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by rickss69
I havent seen anything that would make me give up a tried and true S&S unit.

Love the bike. S&S old school teardrop and D&D Bobcat.

Quick Reply: Best stage 1 air cleaner?