Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best stage 1 air cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012 | 08:40 AM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by blackknight883
The DK Custom Outlaw HiFlow is a great unit! I have it on my sporty
See! Great unit ... why great? Looks great? Did you measure for performance?

Old 11-29-2012 | 08:45 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Old 11-29-2012 | 08:54 AM
70x7
Advanced

I went for looks and performance. It's only money...

RSD Boss in black ops

Old 11-29-2012 | 09:19 AM
cHarley
Club Member

There are dozens of good looking, decent performing A/C's out there.
For for looks, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
Almost any "Hi-Flow" A/C beats the stock unit in performance, except for probably the Hypercharger.
For real performance, many vendors make all kinds of claims, but only a handful backup their claims with actual numbers. If the claims aren't backup by real dyno tests, be skeptical of the claims.

NRHS Hurricane Flow A/C

Old 11-29-2012 | 10:27 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
Alright, here's what I think.
Not sure how objective is the chart provided by K&N. I tend to think they dynoed a stock bike first, then added their intake and corrected fuel maps for second run. The thing here is the first run should have be done with dialed in fuel, too, for stock intake.
DK Customs makes nice things, sure, and customers say nice things, too. Talk does not add any performance while on the street, may add some in the pub, though.
In actuality, intake can be tuned. Properly tuned intake will help with fill rate in mid-high and high RPM range. Whether any of Sporty intakes are tuned - I do not know.
While I can't disagree with what you said, for the vast majority of Sportys used on the street, most aftermarket high flow air filters and a proper carb/EFI tune will add the needed power boost. If you're looking to eek out every little bit of power and performance then I agree with your statements. But that also includes a ton of money to drop.

For the average user doing a Stage I or Stage II, most of the aftermarket air cleaners (including the DKCustoms offerings) will give all the performance Sporty riders will likely need or use.

Old 11-29-2012 | 11:58 AM
blackknight883
Tourer

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
See! Great unit ... why great? Looks great? Did you measure for performance?
from the seat of my pants yes.

I guess i should clarify why its a great unit in my mind. price was right. it looks good, and has to breathe better than stock simply by design.

i didnt put it on the dyno, if that's what you are asking. the performance gains are probably small, but the bike definitley sounds different at WOT

Last edited by blackknight883; 11-29-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-29-2012 | 12:52 PM
ev0lution7
Tourer

I am Running the SE A/C (it came on the bike) and i replaced the crappy paper filter for a K&N E-3040 its 1/2 taller than the SE paper filter... all i had to do was add 1/2 longer bolts... BAM more air flow and better fatter look.

Old 11-29-2012 | 01:13 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ev0lution7
I am Running the SE A/C (it came on the bike) and i replaced the crappy paper filter for a K&N E-3040 its 1/2 taller than the SE paper filter... all i had to do was add 1/2 longer bolts... BAM more air flow and better fatter look.
I DO like the look of the Ham Can A/C - stock or SE. That shape just looks absolutely great on the bike, and the SE version very effectively opens the intake and provides a good amount of more air.

Old 11-29-2012 | 02:48 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Thanks for all the compliments on our Customer Service. I'm sure Natalie will be popping in here.

Regarding Dyno Charts, if you look at our air cleaner descriptions, most all of them have dyno charts in them. They are down toward the bottom with the pictures...just click on them to enlarge them.

A few important things in our charts-

1. Top left show max improvement...ie. WOT which is nice bragging rights, but it is NOT where most riding is done.

2. Lower right shows the increase where most riding is done, this is what you feel when riding day to day, and in our opinion, that is what is important when looking at improving performance.

3. These runs were done with the bike never leaving the dyno. Our process is to do 3 pulls, then change out the parts as noted, and do another 3 pulls. This results in the most accurate possible comparison of performance between the parts being tested.

Below is a chart that is part of the description of an OUTLAW HiFlow 587 System - http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Comp...-587-BLK-S.htm

Last edited by DK Custom; 11-29-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2012 | 04:21 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor

I will in fact be popping in just to say a huge thanks from the customer service department here at DK Custom Products ( Dawn and I )

We have a motto that we basically run by here at the shop, A company is only as good as its customers, and we have GREAT customers.

Dawn says thanks bunches for all the special instructions (you know who you are ) and would appreciate if you bring her a much deserved cup of coffee and me a cup of hot chocolate. We love our jobs, and just want to say we appreciate each and every one of our customers and their humor! We hope that everyone has a very Merry Christmas, I will tell the company elf ( short joke towards Dawn ), to stuff a little extra in the stockings!!!

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: Best stage 1 air cleaner?