Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012 | 03:09 PM
Charlieminchin
|
Intermediate
Default Exhaust Removal

Hi all,

I'm trying to remove the exhausts from my '09 nightster, in order to heat wrap them. I've got some replacement gaskets to replace the ones to the engine, but i'm querying how to take of the exhausts. Do i;

1). Take off both exhausts, still clamped together by the little black tube at the bottom (i dont know what it does). Remove three hex bolts that bolt it to the drive sprocket, and then remove them joined.

2). Undo a couple of bolts from the underside of the exhaust and un bolt them each from the tube that joins them together? Remove each exhaust seperatly but it looks like i might have to replace a smaller gasket ring where the small black tube joins to the exhaust?

I know that probably doesnt make any sense, so i'll post a pic!

Thanks for any help!

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Removal-ex2.jpg   Exhaust Removal-ex3.jpg   Exhaust Removal-ex4.jpg  
Old 11-26-2012 | 03:40 PM
atwa
Advanced

dirty, dirty nightster...

Old 11-26-2012 | 03:45 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

It should come off in one piece.

Old 11-26-2012 | 03:50 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Well, that little black tube is your exhaust crossover, used to be up higher connecting the front and rear headpipe. I think I would take off each slip on muffler first. I believe the crossover tube can stay put. Then, with each headpipe free, carefully remove the exhaust pipe nuts from the cylinder heads.

I think I'd soak the studs/nuts with some PB Blaster or WD40 for a couple days and then gently remove the nuts. Do not overtighten when you put it back together.

Looks like a lot of wear on your bike in three plus years. Maybe use WD40 on all the nuts and bolts beforehand.

John

Old 11-27-2012 | 12:21 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Charlieminchin
Hi all,

I'm trying to remove the exhausts from my '09 nightster, in order to heat wrap them. I've got some replacement gaskets to replace the ones to the engine, but i'm querying how to take of the exhausts. Do i;

1). Take off both exhausts, still clamped together by the little black tube at the bottom (i dont know what it does). Remove three hex bolts that bolt it to the drive sprocket, and then remove them joined.

2). Undo a couple of bolts from the underside of the exhaust and un bolt them each from the tube that joins them together? Remove each exhaust seperatly but it looks like i might have to replace a smaller gasket ring where the small black tube joins to the exhaust?

I know that probably doesnt make any sense, so i'll post a pic!

Thanks for any help!
The little back tube that connects them is the cross over pipe that connects both exhausts and also doubles as part of the mounting system for the pipes. Yes they also have little gaskets that look just like to ones in the heads but smaller. If you remove them you should also replace them. You have to remove each of the pipes before you can remove the black cross over pipe/mounting bracket. It is only after you remove the pipes that you can and only if you have to, remove the black tube.

What you need to do is buy a service manual for your bike. It is an investment well spent and will be used and pay for itself over and over again. In it, it describes, step by step the removal, installation and torque values/order in which to tighten, etc. etc.

Old 11-27-2012 | 02:40 AM
Charlieminchin
|
Intermediate

Thanks for your responses. I live and ride it in the UK so its constantly getting wet and being dried and cleaned, not ideal for it.

I guess what i'll do, is firstly NOT take of the exhaust crossover! I'll slip off the two mufflers, whilst they're joined, and then unbolt the pipes from the head.

Shall wrap them seperatly or, join them together with wrap and figure a way to get them back on...i naievly thought wrapping would be easy!

Will find a manual to buy off ebay, is it a Haynes or HD specific?

Old 11-27-2012 | 05:18 AM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Old 11-27-2012 | 03:15 PM
J.R. White
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Charlieminchin
Thanks for your responses. I live and ride it in the UK so its constantly getting wet and being dried and cleaned, not ideal for it.

I guess what i'll do, is firstly NOT take of the exhaust crossover! I'll slip off the two mufflers, whilst they're joined, and then unbolt the pipes from the head.

Shall wrap them seperatly or, join them together with wrap and figure a way to get them back on...i naievly thought wrapping would be easy!

Will find a manual to buy off ebay, is it a Haynes or HD specific?

Finally someone who takes the advice of the smarter ones on the forum and gets the manual before doing any damage.

Everything that could be easy probably is with the service manual, and with out it could get quite hard and COSTLY!!!!

Old 11-27-2012 | 04:26 PM
Rava
Cruiser

i've wrapped many pipes... and the best advice i can give you...

wrap them while they are on the bike.

it might take a bit more time, but with the weight of the bike there, you can pull the wrap tight, and get a nice clean wrap with less effort than trying to do this on unmounted pipes.

also.. use a wrap that gloves and/or water are not needed...

i personally prefer this... http://www.designengineering.com/cat...-lr-technology

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Removal-img_0050-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Rava; 11-27-2012 at 04:28 PM.