Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on my "new" saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Trusten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on my "new" saddlebags

Hey folks,
Just mounted some "new" bags on the Sportster. Wanted a unique look. I spent months looking on ebay for bags like these, old 60's/70's Buco Twinmaster bags, double tailights, cool retro look. (They always go for way more than my wallet could afford, about the same price as buying new fiberglass bags!) Then amazingly, found them at a Harley store during a event/swap meet kind of thing at Harley Allen Texas for $150.
After some SERIOUS paint removal (about three different coats through the years), some minor fiberglass work, a little bondo, prime, paint, paint again, sand, screw it up and paint again, installing lights (these bags had "fake" lights, not wired), and installation, here's the new look.
I'm thinking I like the look.
Now, I know, to each his own, but I thought I'd toss it out to my rider brothers for consideration, given that yall are an educated group in possession of such magnificent taste and refinement. (Unless of course yall don't like the look, and then I retract the previous statement! )

I did install them with removeable brackets I picked up off ebay so I can lock them on, or off, as my whimsical desires dictate.

Now, of course, I am thinking of what to do next????? If only I had as much money and time as I wanted . . . . . . . . .

Attached Thumbnails Opinions on my "new" saddlebags-1122121156.jpg  
Old 11-23-2012, 11:56 PM
kennygsuperglide
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I like em'. I'm going to put hard bags on my Superglide this winter. might go with switchback bags.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:59 PM
sloro
Intermediate

Would be nice to see a few more pics - maybe from the back and above?

But - from what I can see, the scoot has a nice old school look now.

Nice!

Old 11-24-2012, 12:05 AM
afraziaaaa
Advanced

I dig the bags but I don't think they belong on a sporty. To each his own.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:16 AM
Trusten
Tourer
Default Why thanks

Thanks, I'll try to take a few more tomorrow of the back showing the twin tail lights and from above as well.
I appreciate the nod of approval.

And, those switchback bags mentioned above are sure sweet looking on the Dynas. About the same size as these old ones I refurbished. Not too big, but functional. I looked at a new Dyna switchback couple of months ago, and a new roadking, and a new street glide, and a softail deluxe, etc. Loved them all, wanted each and every one of them. And then, standing there in the Harley shop, I remembered I am not a millionare, I have a daughter about to start college in another year, and a wife that would seruiously frown on even knowing I ride past a Harley store, much less went in to look at a new bike.

So . . . . . the Sportster and I will remain in our commited relationship. But . . . . , you can't stop a man from dreaming, or from accessorizing/modifying/doing crazy stuff in his own garage. Why, that is a right guarenteed to us all, after all Thomas Jefferson states "among these rights are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Pretty sure that covers messing with motorcycles.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:02 AM
Billy...
Cruiser

I really like these. You've done a great job. Like you I keep thinking about getting a bigger bike but I like the Sporty. I need to get some more luggage space on mine and yours is truly inspiring.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:27 AM
Dual-Linkerts
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hardbags look great on your bike!
I like to keep mine stock looking unless I take a roadtrip then my ugly softbags are a must.

Attached Thumbnails Opinions on my "new" saddlebags-0625121314a.jpg  
Old 11-24-2012, 07:22 AM
IronBoy883
Road Captain

I think they look sick ... I've had my sporty for almost three years an I am starting to make it more of a weekend touring bike ... The stripped down look is cool but sportys make great two up weekend adventure bikes ( depending on size of rider and passenger ). Congrats on the bags

Old 11-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

From the one pic - they look pretty cool...like the vintage car styling. Can't wait for more pics...

Old 11-24-2012, 08:37 AM
jon6.0
Cruiser

I think they work well with the tank you have. If it was my bike I would get rid of the stock turn signals and just use the ones on the bags.

Quick Reply: Opinions on my "new" saddlebags