Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing oil brands! Can it be bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:44 AM
BMCsteve
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Correct weight and change when needed.

HOWEVER, don't mix some oils....lol

I usually run Redline (synthetic) in my engine....was on a trip and got a bit low, added in some Castrol Dino...it made a mess...frothed up and left a white sludge on my dipstick. I think the detergents/additives were not compatible.

Did a change about 800 miles later...no lasting or ill effects.
I was considering switching to Red Line one the next change (5k). I'm currently using Syn3 and I love that Red Line is such a high quality base stock but this is enough to not make me switch

might have to just go with amsoil

Old 11-26-2012, 11:27 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

oil is oil, synthetic can handle higher heat, but if your bike gets so hot that the difference in temperature handling matters, then you have bigger problems than the wrong oil...as far as the rocker boxes leaking that has little to do with oil and a lot to do with un-even heating and cooling of the different parts of the rocker boxes and heads...so, I say just buy whatever brand you like..and make sure you put in the correct weight, which is 20-50....if you want to change brands at each oil change go ahead, no harm-no foul...The only thing I would try and not do is mix 2 or more brands of oil in one oil change and if you have to add oil between changes 'try' to add the same type/brand that is already in the bike...

Old 11-26-2012, 11:40 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog48
Yes, thats the very first thing I do to every vehicle I buy.....unless its new. I do not know and therefore do not trust the person I bought it from knew what they were doing.
+10000!!! I do the exact same thing. I bought a 2012 Ram back in March and by 500 miles had the oil swapped out to a full synthetic. Did the same with my Sporty. I bought it about 2 months ago and have put maybe a couple of hundred miles on it and over the holiday weekend I swapped the engine oil over from whatever was in it (I assume HD brand since I got it from the dealer) to Castrol V-Twin 4T full synthetic. I also went ahead and did the primary oil and changed it over to Redline Primary Case oil and WOW what a difference in the shifting.

Changing fluids soon after I get something is kinda my way of making it my own.

Originally Posted by BMCsteve
I was considering switching to Red Line one the next change (5k). I'm currently using Syn3 and I love that Red Line is such a high quality base stock but this is enough to not make me switch

might have to just go with amsoil
I swapped my primary oil over to Redline and the shifting feels so much better, night and day really. Redline is good stuff.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:28 PM
BMCsteve
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
+10000!!! I do the exact same thing. I bought a 2012 Ram back in March and by 500 miles had the oil swapped out to a full synthetic. Did the same with my Sporty. I bought it about 2 months ago and have put maybe a couple of hundred miles on it and over the holiday weekend I swapped the engine oil over from whatever was in it (I assume HD brand since I got it from the dealer) to Castrol V-Twin 4T full synthetic. I also went ahead and did the primary oil and changed it over to Redline Primary Case oil and WOW what a difference in the shifting.

Changing fluids soon after I get something is kinda my way of making it my own.

I swapped my primary oil over to Redline and the shifting feels so much better, night and day really. Redline is good stuff.
What Redline oil/lube are you using in the primary?

Old 11-26-2012, 12:49 PM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cali_heff
Hey everyone,

I've been using the Harley 20w50 oil on my bike, and have decided that on my next oil change I'd like to try Mobil1. I've read some really good reviews on their synthetic oils. My question is, would it be bad to change oil brands? I've heard rumors that it could possibly be bad.
I used HD oil for about 40,000 KM then switched to a 100% synthetic oil.

Motul 7100 4T 20W50 Engine Oil, good stuff! More power, smoother, bike sounds like a sewing machine now (is should!) IT works in the gear box too, made allot of difference in shifting, it wont harm the clutch-pack which will probably the next item you want to replace before it falls apart.

See: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...eds-oil-1.html

Last edited by DavidStiebel; 11-26-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:20 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by BMCsteve
What Redline oil/lube are you using in the primary?
It's called V-Twin Primary Case Oil. Good stuff

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=120&pcid=13