Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anything H-D

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 12:00 AM
jasonryen
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anything H-D

So I'm having a hard time understanding the general resentment against any part manufactured by harley davidson? I know harley anything is expensive. I know the dealership overcharges for everything, believe me I found out first hand. But, is harley stuff REALLY overpriced junk. Maybe it is? I don't know. I try to see "both sides of the story". There's definately much cheaper parts and accessories out there. But, harley seems to have the resources to put a lot of R&D and testing into their parts? Am I wrong? Maybe... We all are obviously riding their bikes. Are they junk? I would'nt think so. So why is everything else they make crap? I'm not stating one way or the other here. I'm just desperately wanting to know why this is the general consencious? If harley and everything they make is overpriced, useless junk, why isn't this hondaforums, my ole lady's dad swears by honda, although I catch him sittin on my iron anytime it's at his house! The main reason I'm wondering is because I considered se stage 1 883 to 1200 kit, but the general opinion was it's crap. Then considered se stage 1 ac, but the same, it's crap. Just tell me why so I can make an informed, not opinionated or emotional decision. WE are riding their bikes, so what's really wrong with their parts? Please tell me before I waste money on HD p&a. Please!!!

Old 11-16-2012, 12:51 AM
EZSkankin29
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had any problems with my HD purchases. I usually do my research beforehand when making a large purchase to check the reviews. My thought is to take the money you'd be putting into the engine upgrade and upgrade to a larger bike. Saw some 0% deals for the holidays.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:12 AM
jasonryen
Cruiser

Point taken! And I've been on the fence for a while. The idea of a new or upgraded bike seems awesome, but not feasable. Plus, I like the look of my sportie. Sure, I could attain the same look from a new bike, but for a lot more $. I bought my bike the way it sits, so far, and love it! It's paid for, bottom line. But the point is, is hd really as bad as the "public" claim, or is it just a price thing. Cause we all know anything HD is expensive. $$$!!!

Old 11-16-2012, 02:33 AM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The parts aren't expensive most of the time.

For me its all about being an individual. My inspiration comes from hot/rat rods so that's where I went with my bike.

Especially here in South Africa, people don't buy or don't know about aftermarket parts or they like trading in their bikes???

So its a situation of a group of guys/gals thinking their rebelling but at the end of the day they're all the same.

Luckily I found this forum before I even got my bike so every time I go on a ride people can't stop asking about my bike.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:38 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,197 Likes on 2,440 Posts

My take is that some of their stuff is good quality AND priced well, other is good quality and over-priced, and some is not so great quality. Just depends on what you are looking at.

It is not a matter of R&D or testing, much of it comes from making parts for the evolving market. Used to be most HD customers would keep their bikes much longer and in many cases HD would make the parts to last for those customers. The Customer profile is changing, people are putting less miles on their bikes, so why spend the money for a part to last longer than most of their customers will ever ride.

This is more apparent on the Twin Cam drivetrains than anywhere else. Fortunately for us Sporty owners this drop in quality has not been as pervasive.

Gotta remember too, HD has a HUGE advertising budget that has to be amortized over each item they sell....got stockholders to keep happy too.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-16-2012, 05:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Pixiechitos
Especially here in South Africa, people don't buy or don't know about aftermarket parts or they like trading in their bikes???
Pixie, put South Africa in your location, so we can all see it. Helps to show how International this forum is old chap!

And what is that wheel nut in your avatar from?

Old 11-16-2012, 05:54 AM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain

Hd website for buying "parts" is the biggest BS I ever seen. On almost every other dealership website u can find every darn screw online, panel, washers, etc. but on harleys web, u can only find cosmetic bullshit. many people say they own a Harley cuz it represents themselves and what not. But it seems to me that people like cake decorating their bikes more than ridding because they care about what other people think, not cuz it represents themselves

Old 11-16-2012, 06:04 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

HD parts/accessories is a market, just like any other part/accessory supplier. With any market you have price-margin points. Whenever parts hit the shelves, they have to move so prices are set @ test markets and sellers adjust, as necessary to maintain supply/demand. If things aren't selling - prices slide down until it reaches the magical balance-point (i.e. customer demand).

So what's all this mean in relation to your question, buy what you want & don't worry what others think. If you feel the particular parts/prices suit your budget then, as the saying goes, "Just Do it!"

Old 11-16-2012, 06:11 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't see how folks can call HD OEM parts junk unless they've never seen metric OEM parts. Take a look at any Honda electrical parts/switches, ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. I don't have an issue with HDs quality, but sometimes they're engineering. All mfgs can do better, it's all about the $$$$.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:08 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I've found most of the HD stuff I've bought to be expensive but higher quality than the cheaper aftermarket offerings.

However, if you're asking specifically about a 1200 kit, I think the HD kits are probably good quality, but the general consensus is that you'll get a better bang for your buck going to a specialty shop, ie NRHS. Where HD offers, I think, 2 kits, NRHS offers many options to fit your budget, what HP you want to achieve, your riding style, etc.

Quick Reply: Anything H-D