Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No fuel...please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 PM
CaptainCalf
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No fuel...please help

I need help with fuel. The bike is firing and wants to run badly, but I can't get fuel to flow from tank to the carb. I ran a little fuel into the line manually at the carb and it wanted to run run run

The peacock seems to be the issue, but I'm not sure. No fuel at all will flow through it in any position on, off or reserve... I have vac at the back of the carb and that vac attached to the peacock. Isn't that right? There seems to be a diaphragm there at the back of the petcock that should allow flow with vac, but its not working and peacock is not flowing fuel.

What are the symptoms of a blown diaphragm?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:06 PM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Can't you take the petcock out of the equation to rule it out? When open it should be straight through right?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 PM
CaptainCalf
Tourer

Originally Posted by samhallnc
Can't you take the petcock out of the equation to rule it out? When open it should be straight through right?
The petcock won't flow w/o vacuum and I've got vac, so that's makes me think its toast.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

If so, petcock's are cheap, buy/install a new one...

Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 PM
CaptainCalf
Tourer

Originally Posted by Iceman24
If so, petcock's are cheap, buy/install a new one...
Agreed, I'll get one tomorrow and try not to to siphon too much fuel into my mouth

Old 11-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I test petcocks by hooking a piece of vacuum hose to a turkey baster. Run the fuel hose from the tank into a gas can. Then squeeze the bulb and hook up the vacuum hose to the petcock vacuum fitting then let go of the bulb, it should create enough vacuum to open the valve and let fuel flow. Make sure there is fuel in the tank and try this in both ON and RES positions. If you get fuel in the baster, or no fuel flows from the tank then replace the petcock.

Last edited by Gpsjr10; 11-15-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:18 AM
CaptainCalf
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
I test petcocks by hooking a piece of vacuum hose to a turkey baster. Run the fuel hose from the tank into a gas can. Then squeeze the bulb and hook up the vacuum hose to the petcock vacuum fitting then let go of the bulb, it should create enough vacuum to open the valve and let fuel flow. Make sure there is fuel in the tank and try this in both ON and RES positions. If you get fuel in the baster, or no fuel flows from the tank then replace the petcock.
Yep, petcock fails vac test and wont flow with vac on it in any position. I shouldda replaced it before now

Old 11-16-2012, 08:06 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just went through a year of petcock issues. I attempted to fix one and over and over had leaks. Then 2 other ones the rubber seal gummed up and leaked....they were $40 drag specialty. I bought an $80 different brand and it's rubber seal crapped.

I'm now using a PINGEL which came highly recommended. $130 unit but don't do what I did... Get a good one to start!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:12 AM
CaptainCalf
Tourer

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
I just went through a year of petcock issues. I attempted to fix one and over and over had leaks. Then 2 other ones the rubber seal gummed up and leaked....they were $40 drag specialty. I bought an $80 different brand and it's rubber seal crapped.

I'm now using a PINGEL which came highly recommended. $130 unit but don't do what I did... Get a good one to start!
Great advise! You get what you pay for and in my case I was just lazy and tried to use an old dried out POS

Old 11-16-2012, 09:13 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

If your petcock filter screen is still good, you can buy just the petcock body, it's a lot cheaper than buying the whole assembly. The body is p/n 62169-02b

http://www.surdyke.com/AdvPartInfo.a...mber=62169-02A

Quick Reply: No fuel...please help