Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rejetting carb for a Stage II air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 01:39 PM
T-sizzle
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rejetting carb for a Stage II air cleaner

Hey everyone. I bought a 2005 1200 sporty this summer and so far I love the bike. I bought an Arlen Ness Stage II Big Sucker air cleaner and I know I have to rejet the carb because I have more air coming in and I need more gas coming in too. Do I need just a bigger main jet and do I need a bigger pilot jet too? I am not a total gear head but Im not afraid of fixing anything that not too complicated. I have been watching videos and reading other forums on rejetting and it doesnt look to hard. Just need advice from people who have done the same improvements.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:30 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends really on what you started out with. What Exhaust & AC was on there before the BS II?

Old 11-14-2012, 04:22 PM
883Frankenbike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought an 06 883 that had sat outside for a year after someone had wrecked it. The carb was nothin but varnish and gum. I cleaned it thoroughly but it still was weak and sneezed alot. Try this. Go to http://www.cv-performance.com/ and check out their jet kits. They have great customer service and you purchase the kits matched to the type of bike you have and what stage breather and exhaust you have. I yanked the carb and rejetted it and put it back in in about an hour and a half. More power, no sneezin and the little monster runs great. And it didn't cost an arm and a leg. Check it out and let me know how it goes.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:23 PM
T-sizzle
1st Gear

the ac and the exhaust or still stock but i have the arlen ness ac now, but havent installed it yet, and i plan on putting the vance and hines short shot exhaust on this winter.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 PM
883Frankenbike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R ya gonna gut the baffles and put torque cones in or stick with the baffles ?

Old 11-14-2012, 10:19 PM
T-sizzle
1st Gear

dunno. i know with the baffles out they're LOUD but i'll see when i order them this winter.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Venomized
Cruiser

Get a DynoJet Stage 3 jet kit and youll be able to jet it as you add parts.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

You didn't say if it had stock exhausts, or if they still have the baffles. I haven't seen a used sporty with baffles still in stock exhausts yet, although I know there must be some. Lot of times folks will go up a size on the low speed (pilot) jet when they take out the baffles; if you haven't yet, see if you can get a small mirror under the carb and see if the plug is still over the mix adjuster screw; if it's gone, good chance it has a bigger jet already, and you might want to check the jet size (stamped on it) to see if it's stock before getting anything else - if the plug is still there, of course it's still stock; would be strange if someone put a larger jet in without adjusting the mixture. You shouldn't have to fool with the high speed jet, that shouldn't make any difference much below wide open. Some folks will tell you to shim the needle; you can do that, but it's easier and gets you in the ballpark just going up a size on the low speed jet; low speed is where you get the infamous sportster farting anyway. And sometimes you can get a stock muffler sporty running smoother going up a jet size, too. I've done it, ain't a hard job, and you can do it without pulling the carb all the way off. Just be real careful drilling a hole in the mixture screw cover plug to pull it off.

Last edited by Imold; 11-14-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:09 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Venomized
Get a DynoJet Stage 3 jet kit and youll be able to jet it as you add parts.
Dynojet carb kits SUCK, I'd stay away from them and go with the CVP (CV Performance) kits recommended above.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 AM
rocketmangb
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try a 45 pilot jet and a 170 main jet
2.5 turns out on the the idle mix screw
one .021 shim under the needle
idle speed to 1050 RPM
should be very close

Quick Reply: Rejetting carb for a Stage II air cleaner