Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1250 upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:00 AM
aceospades
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1250 upgrade question

this past summer i was at a bike event and there were lots of venders and my son bought me a screamin eagle ignition module..but it was for the wrong bike.its made for an 04-up carbed dyna..so if what im reading is true(tc88a ignition modules work on sportys)than it should work on mine? please let me know im interested in using it if it will work...

Old 01-31-2007, 10:20 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: PigInaBlanket

Hmm. I wish I had the money to get the heads done but I'm pushing it now getting the kit and install. I'm planning on a 3000 mile tour through the south with some other guys in June and that is gonna cost around $1000 plusI have to pay the IRS around $900 so money is kinda tight now. [&:]
I'm just planning on doing the 1250 kit alone. I asked NRHS if they thought putting a cam in would be a good idea and they told me that without headwork the cams wouldn't really give me much soI am holding off on it as well.I guessI can always go back later when i strike it rich and get the heads and cam installed.
Do you have any dyno numbers XL OCD?
Going from 39 to 73 HP! WOW! I'm glad to see that, because with the stock cams, your drivability won't suffer, and reliability and longevity will actually not change at all! Whenever you start rasisng compression and cam profiles, you lose somewhere, there is always a tradeoff. I would suggest that you keep the compresion stock. There have been many times I have been out in the middle of nowhere, and had to use the only fuel available, 87 octane. Becasue I am at stock compression, I have been able to ride as normal, with no detonation issues at all! If you have a high compression ratio, you will have to carry a couple of packets of "Rocket fuel" additive in your tool bag, etc. to add in those instances, or you end up limping home to keep detonation from happening....

Joe
[&:]

Old 01-31-2007, 10:59 AM
jwb47
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think ****** probably is one of the best authoritys on sportsers out there and they can give you the most bang for your buck. now read the dyno run again and pay attention to the part that says with supporting bolt ons . Im betting its going to cost you more than you think to achieve double the horsepower stated . I understand where your coming from I would like to get about another 20 hp out of my sporty and want to get the best benefits for the least dollar , but the reality is Im gonna have to rob the piggy bank to get there.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:01 PM
ronn39
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So then the 1250 kit is bumping the compression ratio up with the piston profile? Of course, kicking up the compression ratio has always been the cheapest and most effective way to increase power, never mind the need for higher octane gas (in a 4.5 gallon tank, the difference isn't going to break the bank. I've never traveled anywhere where it wasn't available, though I guess it's possible.)

Geez, XL OCD, 27-tooth? You must be wanting to do wheelies! Cruising (if you can call 85 crusing) down the interstate, I'm wanting a 6th gear with the stock 1200 gearing.

But notice in the specs for the 04-06, the engine primary for the US 883 is 34 teeth while the 1200 and international 883 models is 38, and the drive sprocket for US 883's is 28 vs US 1200 models is 29 and the international models is 30. Those "international" guys must cruise fast!

Old 01-31-2007, 12:19 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: jwb47

I think ****** probably is one of the best authoritys on sportsers out there and they can give you the most bang for your buck. now read the dyno run again and pay attention to the part that says with supporting bolt ons . Im betting its going to cost you more than you think to achieve double the horsepower stated . I understand where your coming from I would like to get about another 20 hp out of my sporty and want to get the best benefits for the least dollar , but the reality is Im gonna have to rob the piggy bank to get there.
Yes it does say with supported bolt on. here is exactly what it says...
The bike that generated this dyno sheet is also equipped with a HurricaneFlow Air Cleaner, Mikuni HSR42 carburetor, SE .536 cams, Supertrapp exhaust system, and Daytona Twin-Tec ignition.

Now I have a comparable air cleaner sinceI have the SEone
I'm not sure how much more power the carb gives but from everything I've heard the stock carb is more than enough to get the job done
I have a comparable exhaust sinceI have the SE II slip ons

The only things left are the ignition and the cams. The guy I spoke to at NHRS said the cams wouldn't help much without headwork done so I am guessing that green line on the dyno won't change much. As for the ignition I won't be able to go past 6000 rpm but according to that green line on the dyno again (which is an 883 with the 1250 kit and no head work) it is hitting around 74 hp at 6000 as opposed to 76 at 6400 rpm so it's only a loss of approximately 2 hp.
Ok now if the cam adds say 2 hp and the ignition adds another 2 hp (not talking about the hp over 6000) then I may be losing about 4 hp from what the green line on the dynosays at 6000 rpm leaving me with approximately 70hp maybe by not putting those on? Does that sound reasonable? 70hp sounds pretty good to me since it will also have the lower gearing.
I know this is not guarnateed as not all bikes react the same but just as an example.

traveler the kit only comes in 10:1 compression and that is fine with me. My 883 can't even run 87 octane without pinging, I always use the 89 octane anyways so it would be just a few cents more to fill up. I don't mind carrying around some octane boost ifI need to, shoot it will give my saddlebags something to do besides carry beer home.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:52 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ronn39

Geez, XL OCD, 27-tooth? You must be wanting to do wheelies! Cruising (if you can call 85 crusing) down the interstate, I'm wanting a 6th gear with the stock 1200 gearing.
You'll rarely find me on the interstate. I ride 90% of the time on backroads... and yes, wheelies are fun!

Old 01-31-2007, 03:43 PM
1200c
Road Warrior

This is the kit I am intending to get when I do my motor, which probably won't be till next winter possibly now. I am planning to do a 1250 kit, with stage 2 1200 heads, .536 cams, and a Daytona TT88. This combo should be good for 90-100hp depending on the tune.
I wish you luck and look forward to seeing the dyno sheet. If you haven't noticed I'm a dyno *****

this past summer i was at a bike event and there were lots of venders and my son bought me a screamin eagle ignition module..but it was for the wrong bike.its made for an 04-up carbed dyna..so if what im reading is true(tc88a ignition modules work on sportys)than it should work on mine? please let me know im interested in using it if it will work...
The screaming eagle ignition is different from the tc88a ignition. The screaming eagle is cheaper and designed for a particular bike. The tc88a (Twin Tech) ignition is adjustable and requires tuning. The tc88a will work in any bike (with the right harness) because you can tune it for that bikes needs.

PigInaBlanket,
Here is an idea of what you can probably get out of your 1250 kit. Here is a dyno chart (again stolen/posted from another board) of a guy who had the 1250 kit on his bike. That has stock heads, valves, and 497 cams. It seems the 497 cams aren't working well for that combination.

Also, ask nrhs about their competition valve job for 883's. It seems to work very well with a set of .536 cams and produce more power. I wouldn't do it unless you plan to put in .536 cams though. With .536's you won't have to swap them out for another set when you do stage 2 port work as they seem to work well both with stock and ported heads.

Stock XL883 heads with NRHS Competition Valve Job & Chamber Relief work
NRHS/Axtell 1250 kit
Stock header with SE Slip-ons
SE .536 Cams
SE Air Cleaner
Stock carburetor
Stock Ignition

Old 01-31-2007, 04:35 PM
olesalt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 883 has different transmission gears than the 1200 due to the lesser horsepower. When you do the conversion you'll have 1200cc with 883 gearing which will get you from A to B post haste. I considered changing the drive sproket but for 1 tooth difference it wasn't worth it.
NHRS conversion does not include the heads. Your best source for this is Bubbas1. He just completed the NHRS conversion and took some dynamite imafes along with the narrative. To find his posts go to Search at top of page...Author=Bubbas1....Forum=Sportster...Hit ok. Start with his day1, very informative.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:59 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior

Im not trying to be a wet blanket I have gone over this very thing in my head a million times and looked at it from all angles wanting to hit 100hp and for god only knows for what reason, other than I just want to. you ask for opinions and good lord I am an opinionated s.o.b. or so my wife says lol . the big thing is when all the smoke clears and you have that bad boy ripping down the highway and are grinning like a fool nobody but youropinion will matter. have fun and good luck with your build , you got the right guys to help you along the way ****** rocks.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:01 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I know jwb47, I don't think you are being a wetblanket.
I really do appreciate all the comments as I have never had any of my bikes hopped up in the engine dept. before and i really don't know what to expect. I'm glad you guys made me think about getting the heads and cams. I hate to do it but I just may not go on that June road trip and instead spend the cash on the head work and cams. Afterall I will enjoy the trip but the engine work will be enjoyed for longer and well worth it.
The only problem I will have with getting the heads done is that I am having a local place do the conversion and I can't leavethe bikethere for a few days while I send off the heads after they remove them to get NRHS to do their work. If anyone has any stock 883 heads they have laying around after a conversion or whatever please let me know. Maybe I could buy them and have them sent off to NRHS and get them done with the competition valve job that 1200c mentionedthen when they come back I cantake them in along with the 1250 kit and SE .536 cam and have them do the conversion.
Man I can't wait!

Quick Reply: 1250 upgrade question