Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the Sportster Your Bike Of Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 06:31 PM
Clackamas
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why is the Sportster Your Bike Of Choice?

When I decided a year ago that I wanted to get a motorcycle, I did a lot of research, a lot of though and a little bit of training (ie the MSF). But the time I took the MSF (after 6 months of investigating the pros/cons of a motorcycle), I narrowed myself down to a Crusier/Standard type bike. After reviewing the bikes available in that catagory, I further narrowed myself down to the Triumph Speedmaster and the Harley Davidson Sportster (okay, there were some other minor comparisons)...

At the end of the Day the Sporster won out between the balance of being my first bike, being a crusier/standard type bike, and being able to get repair parts and being able to get accesories for it as I develop my style of ridding.

I bought my Sporster on 1/28/2007 and at 80+ miles, I have no regrets so far.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:47 PM
brauny1
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Clackamas
I bought my Sporster on 1/28/2007 and at 80+ miles, I have no regrets so far.
I bought"Bumble Bee" May of 2000, $6,000+ upgradesand26000+ miles still no regrets... Better then new, and yes, I keep my vehicles a long time.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:30 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine because the wife said I could, after I got it I told her if it get stolen I am upgradeing to a Hertiage, she said I should got that in the first place if thats what I wanted. But once I am on my Sporty I forget all about the Hertiage.

Tom

Old 01-31-2007, 09:05 PM
1200cc
Tourer

..LOL brauny1,,question???is your avaiter,,
..Mohamad-Ali,,,LOL..wow im getting old,
need to go take my Med,s,,LOL..

Old 01-31-2007, 09:34 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I originally decided to go with a Sportster since it's in the price range I was willing to pay. It's also a nice sized bike to get started on. It's got plenty of power and the handling is great. I haven't ridden a BT yet so I can't make that comparison, but I'm happy with my decision on the XL1200C.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:38 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought mine cause the price was right and being that a 650 Yamaha was the biggest bikeI hadowned before back in the 80s the 883 would be a nice step up. I loved (and still do) the look of the bike and all the accessories available for it. It has plenty of power for me (my wife won't ride on it, hell she barely will even look at it) butI can't resist getting the engine upgraded on it just to have some extra fun.
If my money is in order next year I am hoping to get an Ames chopper front end on it like Old Fender Guy has then maybe i will leave it alone for a while...

Old 02-01-2007, 01:51 AM
TomSchneider
Novice

you can very easily overcome the storage issue. i have a set of large throw on saddle bags (mount right under the seat). take your 1 seat bolt out.......set them on.........seat back on..........and hold tons of stuff. when you get home and done with the long trip..........1 seat bolt off.............lift off the bags.............seat back on..........2 seconds. you can go on very long trips with a sporty no problem.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:43 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It's not the greatest thing to admit but I find as we get older we loose not only strength but the co-ordination starts to become questionanble and the dexterity diminishes. I got to a point where the "big" bikes were a little more demanding than I was comfortable with and decided to try a Sportster. To me it's a perfect fit plus it has an additional bonus Inever expected. This damn thing is a hot rod and a total joy to ride. I haven't smiled this much on a bike in a long time.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:37 PM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Sporty embodies the classic motorcycle style. Every art expert that I have read picks it as the most beautiful bike. It is no coincidence that the newest model has almost exactly the same profile as the '57. There is nothing that you can do to it that makes it look any better. Never seen a custom bike that improves on the look.

My bike has a Memphis Fats shield, Willie & Max bags, and a few add-ons. I added them only because they were needed.Not for looks. But even then, the beauty shines through, and puts a smile on my face.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:45 AM
LAZYBOY
Tourer

you can get a lot of bike for a little money.

Quick Reply: Why is the Sportster Your Bike Of Choice?