Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Combo Speedometer & Tach -4"

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 11:06 AM
USAFANG67
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HD Combo Speedometer & Tach -4"

I recently bought a HD Combo Speedometer & Tach -4" (70900274) from cyclepartsforless.com . The person I talk to said that he could sell me the unit and I could buy and have the Fuel Sensor kit(61200008) installed at a later point in time. I just came back from the shop to have the 70900274 installed. Unfortunately they said emphatically that the 70900274 cannot be installed without the 61200008 at a later time. Both parts have to be installed at the same time because. The instructions specially say this on page 2 of 6.
So it looks like I'll have to pony up for the Fuel Sensor kit(61200008)and have it installed together.
This is what my experience has been. If someone knows differently please feel free to chime in.
My ride is a 2012 HD 1200C.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 805 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by USAFANG67
I recently bought a HD Combo Speedometer & Tach -4" (70900274) from cyclepartsforless.com . The person I talk to said that he could sell me the unit and I could buy and have the Fuel Sensor kit(61200008) installed at a later point in time. I just came back from the shop to have the 70900274 installed. Unfortunately they said emphatically that the 70900274 cannot be installed without the 61200008 at a later time. Both parts have to be installed at the same time because. The instructions specially say this on page 2 of 6.
So it looks like I'll have to pony up for the Fuel Sensor kit(61200008)and have it installed together.
This is what my experience has been. If someone knows differently please feel free to chime in.
Isn't the sensor already included in the '12 XLC? I thought it was, although I may be mistaken.

Even if it's not, the gauge will still work without it. You'll just get errors in the display that you can click through. It won't hurt the gauge or keep it from functioning. You'll just have errors displayed and you won't get a reading for the gas level. That was my experience, anyway, when I ran it without the gauge.

I think I read someplace that there's a plug-in that you can use that disables this functionality if you don't want to use the fuel sensor. I may be mistaken about that.

BTW, why pay HD to install the gauge? It's a fairly straightforward process although you've got to have some small fingers to get the darned thing hooked up to the harness/plug inside of the speedo/tach housing.

Please see this thread for more detail:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...alog-tach.html

Last edited by Roni; 11-07-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Are you trying to say the Speedo/Tach can't be installed without the Fuel Sensor kit, or that the Fuel Sensor kit can't be installed at a later time?

Old 11-07-2012, 11:25 AM
USAFANG67
Road Master

Originally Posted by cHarley
Are you trying to say the Speedo/Tach can't be installed without the Fuel Sensor kit, or that the Fuel Sensor kit can't be installed at a later time?
The shop I deal with(non-HD dealer) said that the Speedo/Tach and the Fuel Sensor kit have to be installed together. You/they cannot install the Speedo/Tach now and do the Fuel Sensor later on. This has been their experience. They said that "Low Fuel" warning light will always be on if both are not installed at the same time.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:31 AM
USAFANG67
Road Master

Originally Posted by Roni
Isn't the sensor already included in the '12 XLC? I thought it was, although I may be mistaken.

Even if it's not, the gauge will still work without it. You'll just get errors in the display that you can click through. It won't hurt the gauge or keep it from functioning. You'll just have errors displayed and you won't get a reading for the gas level. That was my experience, anyway, when I ran it without the gauge.

I think I read someplace that there's a plug-in that you can use that disables this functionality if you don't want to use the fuel sensor. I may be mistaken about that.

BTW, why pay HD to install the gauge? It's a fairly straightforward process although you've got to have some small fingers to get the darned thing hooked up to the harness/plug inside of the speedo/tach housing.

Please see this thread for more detail:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...alog-tach.html

Yes there is a factory sensor that comes on when I'm down to about 2 gallons. But from what the shop tells me the new Speedo/Tach over-rides the factory "Low Fuel" light and uses the one on the new Speedo/Tach.
I'm not using a HD shop to have the new Speedo/Tach installed.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:15 PM
USAFANG67
Road Master

To add more confusion to the mix......... I called HD Customer Care USA((800-258-2468) and they have had this question posed to them before(the guy whom I spoke to)and he said that the fuel level sensor kit "can" be installed at a later point in time.
Soooooooooo to be on the safe side I think I'll throw caution to the wind, save my money for the fuel sensor kit and have it installed when I get the Speedo/Tach installed.
Better safe than sorry.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Rava
Cruiser

the info you where given is incorrect...

i have the speedo... i'm have not installed the fuel sensor yet as i'm saving that for my 3.3 tank to get painted.

dealership did research said it will not effect anything.

no fuel gauge is displayed on the speedo, but the low fuel light still works as intended.

i have a 2013 48.

also... check this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...alog-tach.html

Last edited by Rava; 11-07-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:04 PM
USAFANG67
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rava
the info you where given is incorrect...

i have the speedo... i'm have not installed the fuel sensor yet as i'm saving that for my 3.3 tank to get painted.

dealership did research said it will not effect anything.

no fuel gauge is displayed on the speedo, but the low fuel light still works as intended.

i have a 2013 48.

also... check this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...alog-tach.html
Many thanks for your input Rava.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 805 Likes on 587 Posts

I installed the combo unit on my bike and then installed the fuel sensor several weeks later. The fuel sensor doesn't just override the existing hi/low sensor; it replaces it altogether in the tank. You literally remove the old sensor and then connect the new sensor into the plug that the old sensor previously filled.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:25 AM
tocsin
Stage IV

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I ran across it when I was shopping for the tach and sensor. Both were out of stock everywhere at the time but I was able to pick up the tach/speedo on ebay. Just wanted to verify that it works fine with the stock sending unit in an 09 Nightster. Low Fuel light even works like normal with no errors. Should be getting the fuel level sensor shortly. Really like the combo, and haven't had any issues with it. Speed display is a little dim with polarized sunglasses on, but still readable. The colors are cool, but I generally run all white with a red needle during the day and all red on long night rides.

Quick Reply: HD Combo Speedometer & Tach -4"