Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primered gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Primered gas tank?

I pulled my 2.5g lowbrow tank to get rid of the silver paint and to have it sealed. It was dumping rust into the HSR carb through the shitty vac operated Jap petcock the previous owner slapped on there. I managed to scrape 1/2 lb. of body filler off the fender but the tank was even worse. Hoping the rad. shop can strip it.

Anyway Im torn between Line X tins and seat, flat black, or grey primer
I figured I would start with primer but I wonder how it will handle gas spillage? Is there a fuel impervious primer I should try?

I might vent the tank at the cap so it would have to be fairly stable Id think Bad idea? Thanks!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:28 PM
death trap
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Primer is very pourous and has very little uv protection. That said a catilized primer (uses a hardener) would hold up better then a non catilized primer. Gas can eat threw most non catilized primers/paints. But for best results try useing a flat or semi-flat paint like hotrodflatz. it's paint that is dull like primer and will hold up well.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Jackal
Road Master

Thanks man!

Old 11-05-2012, 11:20 AM
FMSkid13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about a matte black? Just an idea..but its not glossy, but would seal for spillage

Old 11-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Jackal
Road Master

Matte would work too, was just looking for something cheap and from a rattle can for now, but not going to hassle with the mess if it won't hold up.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:06 AM
Ergonight
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Jackal,

You might try the
Spray Max 2k grey primer Spray Max 2k grey primer
. I don't have any experience with the primer but I used the 2k clear coat on my tank and its impervious to gas/oil, etc. I'm assuming the primer would hold up as well. Just a thought...

Old 11-06-2012, 06:32 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

One word, or two, depending upon how you choose to spell it - bedliner/bed liner.

Available in rattle can and holds up pretty well. Years ago Briggs used to sell a flat black that was nearly impervious to gasoline. Don't know if they still do, but a check at a "real" lawn mower shop might turn some up. LOL, those joints are where I'd get the old solid wire throttle and spark advance cables way cheaper than the HD shop.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Jackal
Road Master

Thanks guys, I was going to go back through your thread Ergo, but just haven't had the time.

I am considering the bedliner route as I am going to Line-X the seat pan, but since my entire F150 is coated in Line-X, I sorta want something different.

I found that Dupli Color Engine Enamel 500 deg. semi-flat ceramic looks just like black denim with the same sheen and all. I sprayed my Willie G cap and 883 sprocket with it and think I'll try it out on the fender and tank as it's supposedly impervious to gas too.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey hey hey!

My tank is primed and I've had loads of spills and spits. I even wipe it down with WD40 after a wash. It's a local brand but there has to be something over there as well?

Mine is a self etching black primer. I could probably mail you some if you REALLY couldn't find anything. All my tins are primed.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Jackal
Road Master

Thanks man, see you're changing or changed your bike again...looks good man. Still need to pick an intake for my new beater. Anyway, thanks for the offer, but I think I'll go ahead and try the dupli-color rattle over self etching primer, though I do dig that deep charcoal green color.

Quick Reply: Primered gas tank?