Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running rich, bike seems to run fine though...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Scott2.0
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running rich, bike seems to run fine though...

I just bought my 06 XL1200C and I've noticed a little bit of smoke at red lights (can't tell where it's coming from). It also makes me smell like gasoline after riding way more so than any other bike I've had and puts off some strong fumes. I pulled the plugs and sure enough they're black and sooty. The bike has SEII pipes (with stock baffles) and the Screamin Eagle high flow air cleaner (the one that looks like the stock ham can). The AC smells like gasoline too. No clue what jets the previous owner has in it just yet.

The bike runs like a raped ape with no popping, backfiring, farting, etc. The only annoyance is the fumes smell and mild smoke at red lights. If I don't have my FF helmet on, it actually burns my eyes and nose when stopped. Since it seems to be running well, do I leave it alone or try to lean it out? Being lazy, is there a better flowing AC that I could easily swap to, to lean it? Thanks all.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:23 PM
deez nuts
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

you're better off to run rich then lean, in most cases at least. I would maybe start with looking to see what jets are in it now and then take small steps leaner and leaner until your plugs turn that nice color we all go for.
Let us know how you make out

Old 11-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Scott2.0
Advanced

Originally Posted by deez nuts
you're better off to run rich then lean, in most cases at least. I would maybe start with looking to see what jets are in it now and then take small steps leaner and leaner until your plugs turn that nice color we all go for.
Let us know how you make out
That's what I planned on unless I can get more air in somehow. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if there is an AC that flows better than what I have now. That seems like an easy way to balance out, plus I'm not a fan of the ham-can look. I just don't know if that's realistic since I already have a "high-flow" AC.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:02 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Leave what you have installed for intake and exhaust vs. buying new stuff. Pull the carb and confirm the correct jet size. You also must check the mixture setting ... assuming it has been drilled out and adjusted.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:19 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Are you sure you don't have a leak in one of your fuel lines? Or, the vapor recovery canister is saturated which may be caused by a faulty gas cap letting liquid gas flow up to where the vapor tube in the tank filler opening.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Scott2.0
Advanced

Originally Posted by DOMAPOI
Are you sure you don't have a leak in one of your fuel lines? Or, the vapor recovery canister is saturated which may be caused by a faulty gas cap letting liquid gas flow up to where the vapor tube in the tank filler opening.
No, I'm not sure. Any tips on what I should look for? Sorry, I'm a bit clueless.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:18 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Inspect all your fuel lines to see if there are any cracks and that all clamps are secure (hoses should not be able to spin on connectors). If they are OK then, take the gas cap to someplace that does smog checks or an auto parts store and see if they can check your tanks cap. Check and see if the line that comes from that vent where your gas cap is is connected, in good shape and goes to that round canister down at the bottom of the bike, about center between wheels. You should not be burning so rich that YOU actually smell like gas at the end of the day or so much that your eye will burn when not wearing (or wearing a half) helmet.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:30 PM
deez nuts
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

The best flowing AC that I know of is the SE heavy breather. You'll prolly need to make sure the carb is tuned correctly anyway though.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Scott2.0
Advanced

Originally Posted by DOMAPOI
Inspect all your fuel lines to see if there are any cracks and that all clamps are secure (hoses should not be able to spin on connectors). If they are OK then, take the gas cap to someplace that does smog checks or an auto parts store and see if they can check your tanks cap. Check and see if the line that comes from that vent where your gas cap is is connected, in good shape and goes to that round canister down at the bottom of the bike, about center between wheels. You should not be burning so rich that YOU actually smell like gas at the end of the day or so much that your eye will burn when not wearing (or wearing a half) helmet.
That's what I thought. I'll check it out. Thanks a lot.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:55 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Any hi flow air filter provides more air than the engine can use. My bet is rejetting the carb.

Bwana

Quick Reply: Running rich, bike seems to run fine though...