Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice on First Harley

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012 | 10:21 PM
nightfallcv
|
Stage I
Default Need Advice on First Harley

Hi Guys,
I'm a bit of a new rider. Only been riding for about a year and a half. My first bike was a ninja 500, and I've decided that I want to switch over to a Sportster. I have a friend who's father has a '95 Sportster 883 Deluxe that he is willing to sell to me for $2500. He's told me that when he was riding it, it was in perfect condition. However, he's had it sitting for several years, and I don't think he prepped it for long term storage. It has been garaged the whole time however. I'm just wondering if the price is good. I wanted to send it in to a professional to do full maintenance on it to make sure it runs nice and smooth. I'm hoping that won't cost me anymore then $500 (hopefully less). I haven't really been able to find a sportster of any sort for anything less then 3k. So I figure this is a good deal, but wanted to see what your opinions might be. Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.

Old 10-31-2012 | 05:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I can't comment on price, but if it has been standing any length of time you should budget for new tyres and battery, as well as a full service. Having stood for a long time there could be all manner of silly things wrong with it, so it is worth getting an experienced rider to take a look at it before agreeing to buy it.

Old 10-31-2012 | 09:12 AM
reddog81
Novice

+1 on what grbrown said. Even if the tires look OK they probably need to be replaced because of age.
Also you don't mention what you think of the bike. If you like the look and don't plan on doing much to it than it could be a decent deal. If you don't like the color, style, or add ons then you might be better off buying one that runs for $3000 to $4000 and get something you like.
Don't be afraid to bargin either. If the bike looks rough and needs a new seat, new lights, ful service, etc... mention that and try to get the price down. That goes either with friends bike or any other bike. The asking price is the most they expect to get - usually people will go down.

Old 10-31-2012 | 11:50 AM
Pinarello Rider
Advanced

I'm nervous about the "sitting for several years" part. I'd take it to a mechanic to look over. If you start replacing wires and hoses, that will get expensive quick. Or time consuming. Or both.

Old 10-31-2012 | 01:07 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member

My first two concerns were (1) how many miles does it have on it and (2) for how long has it been sitting. As long as you realize that you aren't buying a new bike, even if it is low-mileage, there are going to be age related issues. It's a 17 year old bike, so stuff like dry rot or worn out hoses and cables should be expected. However, once you get these initial issues worked out (especially if it is a low-mileage bike), you should have a fairly reliable bike.

I might suggest a peak inside the gas tank. Get a pen flashlight and a mechanics mirror. Look for rust or chipping inside of the tank.

Also, check the belt/chain. (Was HD using chains or belts in '95?) I've bought older Garage Queens with rusted/fused chain links. It's an annoyance that generally requires replacing the chain, but not a show stopper for me.

I also wouldn't suggest taking the bike too far from home for the first few hundred miles. Once you've got the fluids changed and everything lubed (including the cables), letting the bike run in should reveal most of the age issues.