Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

straight answer on what fluid to use

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 03:57 PM
bufbills
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
I just picked up Mobile 1 V-Twin for the engine. I use HD dino for the primary.
I used Mobile 1 for the primary. Ill see how I like it. Seemed fine on the test ride after I completed the service.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:01 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Just an FYI reminder (for the hundredth time):

There is no need or good reason to use V-Twin labeled oil in a Harley motor.
V-Twin oil was specifically designed for single sump (one oil supply for the motor/primary/tranny) oil systems that are found on most motorcycles EXCEPT Harley.

V-Twin oil does not contain friction modifiers because they can harm the clutch when used in single sump oil systems.
Friction modifiers though, are great to have in your motor, as they prevent much of the wear that commonly occurs at start-up on a cold motor, when the oil has drained off the cylinder walls, bearings, etc.

A good quality automotive synthetic oil, like Mobil-1 15w-50, which contains the friction modifier Molybdenum, is IMO, better in the long run than a V-Twin oil without. BTW, you can usually find the Mobil-1 15w-50 at Walmart in a 5 quart jug for ~$27.00 ($5.50/qt).

Old 10-27-2012, 04:01 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,345 Posts

+1 on what cHarley says, he convinced me.

Since the engine of the Sportster is completely separate from the transmission and clutch, I'm going with Castrol GTX 20/50 next oil change. It's just like an air cooled automobile engine. Buying the HD filter makes sense though, price is close enough to others to warrant the caution about the micron sizing issue.

John

Old 10-27-2012, 04:12 PM
cooperk851
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use mobil one in my engine and harley oil in the tranny. And a K&N oil filter. do not use mobil one in your tranny it will mess stuff up.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:23 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Originally Posted by cooperk851
I use mobil one in my engine and harley oil in the tranny. And a K&N oil filter. do not use mobil one in your tranny it will mess stuff up.
If your talking 75W90 M1, it is safe for the stator, cHarley has those lab results I believe.

It's rated completely safe for yellow metal, give a 1b rating. Tested under a specific standard for this type of property. That's what convinced me. I think maybe Redline (1a) was the only oil that rated higher. Amsoil, Castrol, etc. all had acceptable ratings (1b mostly) for exposure to yellow metal.

There was also a brand name that definitely should not be used .

John

Last edited by John Harper; 10-27-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:28 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
+1 on what cHarley says, he convinced me.

Since the engine of the Sportster is completely separate from the transmission and clutch, I'm going with Castrol GTX 20/50 next oil change. It's just like an air cooled automobile engine. Buying the HD filter makes sense though, price is close enough to others to warrant the caution about the micron sizing issue.

John

I use the HD filter because I have the HD filter wrench. lol The price isn't out of line for the filter and I don't have to think about it too hard.

I'll probably be doing the 5000 mile service along with winter storage at the same time. I'm at a little 4500 now and I figure I'll be close enough either way. Also, since I changed the oil and primary at 3000 I'm not worried about being exact. I'll do the 5000 service whenever it is I winterize regardless of mileage. I doubt I'll have more than 6000 by then either way.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:36 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
If your talking 75W90 M1, it is safe for the stator, cHarley has those lab results I believe.

It's rated completely safe for yellow metal, give a 1b rating. Tested under a specific standard for this type of property. That's what convinced me. I think maybe Redline (1a) was the only oil that rated higher. Amsoil, Castrol, etc. all had acceptable ratings (1b mostly) for exposure to yellow metal.

There was also a brand name that definitely should not be used .

John

+1 - The thread with that info is HERE.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:44 PM
bufbills
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Uh oh. I guess I need to drain the tranny.

Thanks for the info. Hope i didnt hurt it.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Sportabagger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put **** in my pistons

Old 10-27-2012, 04:45 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Just an FYI reminder (for the hundredth time):

There is no need or good reason to use V-Twin labeled oil in a Harley motor.
V-Twin oil was specifically designed for single sump (one oil supply for the motor/primary/tranny) oil systems that are found on most motorcycles EXCEPT Harley.

V-Twin oil does not contain friction modifiers because they can harm the clutch when used in single sump oil systems.
Friction modifiers though, are great to have in your motor, as they prevent much of the wear that commonly occurs at start-up on a cold motor, when the oil has drained off the cylinder walls, bearings, etc.

A good quality automotive synthetic oil, like Mobil-1 15w-50, which contains the friction modifier Molybdenum, is IMO, better in the long run than a V-Twin oil without. BTW, you can usually find the Mobil-1 15w-50 at Walmart in a 5 quart jug for ~$27.00 ($5.50/qt).

Agree. About a year ago our Walmart was closing it out at $21.50 so I loaded up. They have it back now at the higher price.

Quick Reply: straight answer on what fluid to use