Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed easy pull clutch bought from eBay, does this look right..? *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012 | 05:27 PM
csharley
|
Intermediate
Default Installed easy pull clutch bought from eBay, does this look right..? *Pics*

I just installed this easy pull clutch kit bought from eBay. It is this one.

I am not sure if i did it right, because there is slight binding because of the coupler at the end of the cable now is shifted downward because of the installation of the easy pull kit, and it is rubbing against that little wedge as you can see in the picture. If I hadn't re-opened the cover and look for it, I can only slightly feel the binding through the clutch lever, but now psychology is working out of me...

Has anyone had experience with this kit and can tell me if this is normal? Honestly, it does not make it much easier to pull the clutch as others complimented, so I'm not sure if it's installation error here.

Thanks in advance.

Here are the pictures.

The overview:

When clutch is pulled up:

When clutch is engaged.

Old 10-25-2012 | 05:59 PM
scaldwellk
Tourer

Tag to follow.

Old 10-25-2012 | 07:02 PM
HeelDragger
Cruiser

I don't think you have it installed correctly. The ez pull clutch device extension should be bolted to the outer ramp facing horizontally(left) towards the clutch cable and then the clutch cable is connected to the clutch coupling which is then connected to the extension. It looks like you installed the ez pull extension vertically (up and down). That's why its binding on the primary cover when you pull the clutch lever. Look at your install directions and any pictures they may have provided and check to see if you have it installed correctly. Make sure you loosen your clutch cable all the way and do a proper clutch adjustment before you install the ez pull clutch adapter. Then adjust your cable free play. I hope this makes sense.

Last edited by HeelDragger; 10-25-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-25-2012 | 07:18 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Community Team

What part did you replace? Not familiar with this, do you have picture of the kit you put in? Might make it easier to see entire process.

John

Old 10-25-2012 | 07:19 PM
joechiu1024
Intermediate

I had the same problem when installing my easy pull clutch kit from ebay. I don't know what year your bike is but mine is 2002 883R, and when I install the ez pull, it couldn't move much b/c it was rubbing against the bottom primary, and I took it to the dealer to have a look and see if they could work something out, but no luck with that. So instead trying to work the easy pull out, I bought a muller power clutch and it works great, I know it costs a lot more, but the clutch lever was just killing my hand, so I paid the extra.

https://www.denniskirk.com/_.p382823...24.sku#fitment

Another note, I also changed my clutch cable to barnett stainless steel cable, and it makes a different too.

I spent a lot on trying to make the clutch pull easier but in the end, I think its well worth it esp for me, since I don't do a lot of high way riding and I always have to shift b/w gears.

Hope it helps.

Old 10-25-2012 | 07:21 PM
joechiu1024
Intermediate

And I tried installing it horizontally but the way the ez pull clutch is made, it won't let me do that.

Old 10-25-2012 | 09:27 PM
csharley
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John Harper
What part did you replace? Not familiar with this, do you have picture of the kit you put in? Might make it easier to see entire process.
John
There is a link in my OP and that is the only thing that I can show you guys on the web, because the instruction only came as two sheets of paper, and no electronic version. It's called Sportster 1994-2012 & Big Twin Easy Pull Clutch on eBay. I've read that many people went with this and swore by it. Very confused right now

Originally Posted by HeelDragger
I don't think you have it installed correctly. The ez pull clutch device extension should be bolted to the outer ramp facing horizontally(left) towards the clutch cable and then the clutch cable is connected to the clutch coupling which is then connected to the extension. It looks like you installed the ez pull extension vertically (up and down). That's why its binding on the primary cover when you pull the clutch lever. Look at your install directions and any pictures they may have provided and check to see if you have it installed correctly. Make sure you loosen your clutch cable all the way and do a proper clutch adjustment before you install the ez pull clutch adapter. Then adjust your cable free play. I hope this makes sense.
Originally Posted by joechiu1024
And I tried installing it horizontally but the way the ez pull clutch is made, it won't let me do that.
What Joe said. I couldn't fit it in there any other way. The extension piece can only be mounted onto the ramp one way, and with ramp properly seated, it can only face downwards. I just checked pictures on the instruction sheet, and it does not show a completed position. The last picture it has is when everything is connected, i.e., cable-coupler-extension kit-ramp. The explanation for this picture is: "place the hook on the easy pull over the coupling & rotate the ramp counterclockwise. Push the ramp into the housing." I guess this was implying that the hook will be facing downwards...

Please help!

@Joe, I'd love to have that kit you have, but I just got a forward control and the budget is KILLING me! I totally feel the pain of those military high position whose budget is being cut by the gov now...

BTW, my bike is 2011 Iron 883

Old 10-25-2012 | 09:39 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Simple fix – Rotate the assembly to the right, then readjust your clutch.

Old 10-25-2012 | 10:40 PM
rquest
Road Master

I'm going to be following this thread, my HD clutch is killing me. Feel free to discuss in detail.

Old 10-25-2012 | 10:56 PM
joechiu1024
Intermediate

I had tried pulling the ramp back (right) and front (left) with no luck, played around with the adjustment and nothing worked, so I gave up. Didn't seem like a lot of ppl with ez pull had similar issue but I can tell you that there's no way I can work it out on my bike. I was going to grind the ez pull so that it won't hit the bottom but then the arm on the ez pull will be too weak and could easily break and I wouldn't dare to mess with the primary, so I ended up buying an expensive piece. Budge is a big issue, I have been in the same boat so I hear you, I just take my time and save up to buy the parts I need one by one.
If anyone who had a similar issue and had been able to work it out, please chim in,
I gave up on the ez pull a lot time ago.

Quick Reply: Installed easy pull clutch bought from eBay, does this look right..? *Pics*