Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed easy pull clutch bought from eBay, does this look right..? *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012 | 03:24 PM
csharley
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by scaldwellk
Lever relaxed position. Cable case is adjusted short as it will go to allow cable to be as long as it will go. Adjust clutch nut on clutch first then adjust cable case length for play.

Except for the clutch lever, all the rest was what i did. It may has something to do with the binding. Will give it another try this weekend. I shouldve not touched clutch lever

Old 01-31-2013 | 10:00 AM
Ocgreenmachine
Novice

I just installed the easy pull clutch and here are a few things I've noted:

1. Make sure you loosen your cable adjuster as much as possible! I made the mistake of only loosening it slightly and the pull felt horrible and there was rubbing inside the primary.
2. Once you have attached the easy pull to the stock ramp and attached the ferrule and cable, insert the assembly back into the primary, making sure you angle the ramp towards the rear of the bike, using the extra slack that you get from loosening the cable adjuster. This will help prevent the ramp from touching the bump inside the bottom of the primary cover.
3. Following the instructions, install the clutch nut as directed, tightening it until you feel resistance and the loosening it 1/8th of a turn.
4. Tighten the cable adjuster until you get approximately 1/16" free play in lever.

I went from a crummy almost stock lever pull with my initial incorrect install to the lever almost feeling feather light... I commute approximately an hour a day on my bike, so this will make a huge difference!

Originally Posted by csharley
Except for the clutch lever, all the rest was what i did. It may has something to do with the binding. Will give it another try this weekend. I shouldve not touched clutch lever

Old 01-31-2013 | 12:23 PM
Ocgreenmachine
Novice

Looking at your pictures, it appears like your ramp is not installed far enough inside the primary. When I installed mine, I pushed the ramp as far into the primary as possible while screwing in the adjuster bolt. Tighten the screw until you meet resistance and then loosen it 1/8 turn before putting the lock nut/spring on. If you are looking in the primary, you should have plenty of clearance for your cable and easy pull. One important thing to note is the importance of loosening the cable adjuster all the way prior to installing the easy pull.
Edit: also, I noticed in your lower picture that the ferrule has been installed facing inwards... Try turning it so that you can see the ball on the end of the cable when the ferrule is attached.

Originally Posted by csharley
I just installed this easy pull clutch kit bought from eBay. It is this one.

I am not sure if i did it right, because there is slight binding because of the coupler at the end of the cable now is shifted downward because of the installation of the easy pull kit, and it is rubbing against that little wedge as you can see in the picture. If I hadn't re-opened the cover and look for it, I can only slightly feel the binding through the clutch lever, but now psychology is working out of me...

Has anyone had experience with this kit and can tell me if this is normal? Honestly, it does not make it much easier to pull the clutch as others complimented, so I'm not sure if it's installation error here.

Thanks in advance.

Here are the pictures.

The overview:

When clutch is pulled up:

When clutch is engaged.

Last edited by Ocgreenmachine; 01-31-2013 at 12:27 PM.