Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed easy pull clutch bought from eBay, does this look right..? *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012 | 12:35 AM
csharley
|
Intermediate

Hey! I didn't realize that I was reading your thread here.

I don't see a reason that I can't work this setup out, muller part is just a one-piece solution where the easy pull is a bolt-on. Guess I'll have to wait a little to see if any experienced rider can help me with it..

Old 10-26-2012 | 08:45 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by joechiu1024
I had tried pulling the ramp back (right) and front (left) with no luck, played around with the adjustment and nothing worked, so I gave up. Didn't seem like a lot of ppl with ez pull had similar issue but I can tell you that there's no way I can work it out on my bike. I was going to grind the ez pull so that it won't hit the bottom but then the arm on the ez pull will be too weak and could easily break and I wouldn't dare to mess with the primary, so I ended up buying an expensive piece. Budge is a big issue, I have been in the same boat so I hear you, I just take my time and save up to buy the parts I need one by one.
If anyone who had a similar issue and had been able to work it out, please chim in,
I gave up on the ez pull a lot time ago.
Maybe it's an issue with the newer bikes, but fit and adjusted just fine on my 96 Sportster.

Old 10-26-2012 | 09:00 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior

Looks like stock to me, if you didnt swap out the clutch pack you will be back there soon. Fix the only problem sportsters have, the clutch pack.

PS: the new packs without the spring plate are far easier to operate.

Old 10-26-2012 | 09:12 AM
scaldwellk
Tourer

If it is like mine I think it stated that it only worked right up to 2003. 2004 and up I think they said may rub, but not sure.

Old 10-26-2012 | 11:28 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a 2000 and put that piece of crap in it and took it back out ...it caused the
cable to bind because it pushed it down towards the bottom of the primary and it changed the way the clutch engaged because there was a longer movement in the handle (the slip area of the clutch lever was half the movement of the lever) and it didn't make hardly any difference in how hard it was to pull the lever...POS if you ask me....

Old 11-01-2012 | 03:03 AM
csharley
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DavidStiebel
Looks like stock to me, if you didnt swap out the clutch pack you will be back there soon. Fix the only problem sportsters have, the clutch pack.
Thanks! Do you mind posting a link to it? If the price is not too steep, this is definitely gonna be my next priority in mods.

Originally Posted by scaldwellk
If it is like mine I think it stated that it only worked right up to 2003. 2004 and up I think they said may rub, but not sure.
Very possibly I have yours but it did not say work only up to 2003 when I purchased it.

Originally Posted by mrfikser
I have a 2000 and put that piece of crap in it and took it back out ...it caused the
cable to bind because it pushed it down towards the bottom of the primary and it changed the way the clutch engaged because there was a longer movement in the handle (the slip area of the clutch lever was half the movement of the lever) and it didn't make hardly any difference in how hard it was to pull the lever...POS if you ask me....
Exactly what I'm experiencing, every issue you pointed out. Binding, rubbing, slip point, and making little difference. What did you end up with then?

Old 11-01-2012 | 09:13 AM
scaldwellk
Tourer

Put mine in since this thread started. Mine works great with no binding at all. I can now pull my clutch with one finger with ease.

Old 11-01-2012 | 10:47 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by csharley
Thanks! Do you mind posting a link to it? If the price is not too steep, this is definitely gonna be my next priority in mods.

Very possibly I have yours but it did not say work only up to 2003 when I purchased it.

Exactly what I'm experiencing, every issue you pointed out. Binding, rubbing, slip point, and making little difference. What did you end up with then?

Nothing....I put it on for my wife, and since then she decided that she preferred to ride on the back of my roadking, so now I have 2 bikes just for me...I am not complaining about her not wanting to ride alone at all...

Old 11-01-2012 | 02:36 PM
csharley
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by scaldwellk
Put mine in since this thread started. Mine works great with no binding at all. I can now pull my clutch with one finger with ease.

Did you get the exactly the same kit as mine? If so, I should be happier because it means I made mistakes during installation and this kit can actually work.

Do you mind letting me know what it means by "fully extend the clutch cable" in the instruction? Does it mean to screw clutch adjusting bolt (under the rubber boot) all the way to the top, and with clutch lever pulled all the way toward handlebar?

Thanks for your help. I am gonna give it another try this weekend. Couldn't ride this whole week because I don't want to potentially ruin the clutch or coupler at all.

Old 11-01-2012 | 03:10 PM
scaldwellk
Tourer

Lever relaxed position. Cable case is adjusted short as it will go to allow cable to be as long as it will go. Adjust clutch nut on clutch first then adjust cable case length for play.

Quick Reply: Installed easy pull clutch bought from eBay, does this look right..? *Pics*