Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip-ons: slash down, baloney cut, or?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 09:50 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Slip-ons: slash down, baloney cut, or?

This seems to me like a real stupid question and I'm sure I am overthinking this, but in your experience, is there any perceiveable sound difference [ie., louder from the side, the rear, etc.] between slash down, baloney cut, and straight cut slip-on muffler styles? Or is it entirely visual/psychological?

Either way, what's your preference, and why?

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to decide which style slip-ons to put on my '09 883 Iron. I'm even considering Rush's "tip compatible" mufflers, but I've hit a mental roadblock. Of course in any event, I would like them to sound "nice" - you know, inbetween that [very] subjective area known as loud and not so loud, whatever that means, hahahahaha.

And before you suggest it, I've decided against the uber poopular Vance and Hineys or any of the numerous other "pipes" for now, though I am open to any suggestions you may have to offer in regards to the different muffler manufacturers, brands to stay away from, your experiences, etc.

Anyway, back to the slash/baloney/straight topic...I know in the end it will always be personal preference and all but I'd like to hear some of your reasons for liking one particular style over another, if for no other reason than what you consider good aesthetics. Thanks.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:14 AM
J.R. White
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like them all. Buy one of each and change them out when you get bored with one or the other!! If you can afford that!! Other wise I don't see a sound different from the cut. Look at a lot of pics and see what you tend to gravitate toward...go with those. my .02

Old 10-25-2012, 10:26 AM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went from stock to side slash (or balogna) cut, and now have pipes with a straight cut end. The difference isn't huge, but I can that the straight cut pipes do put a lot of sound behind me compared to the slash cut.

Just an exmple, sitting in traffic, I can hear the exhaust bounce off the car behind me now, and I didn't so much with the slash cuts. When I pass cars or go past a bridge or some kind of concrete barrier, the slash cuts bounced more sound back to me from the side. It's a noticable differnce, but not a "night and day" difference...

Old 10-25-2012, 11:58 AM
FMSkid13
Cruiser

I put rc components slipons on mine. They don't neck up/down so it gives it a drag pipe look with a real nice sound.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:49 PM
USAFANG67
Road Master

Originally Posted by edgeofinsanity
I went from stock to side slash (or balogna) cut, and now have pipes with a straight cut end. The difference isn't huge, but I can that the straight cut pipes do put a lot of sound behind me compared to the slash cut.

Just an exmple, sitting in traffic, I can hear the exhaust bounce off the car behind me now, and I didn't so much with the slash cuts. When I pass cars or go past a bridge or some kind of concrete barrier, the slash cuts bounced more sound back to me from the side. It's a noticable differnce, but not a "night and day" difference...
That was my reason for staying with the side slash.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:37 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I like the side slash cut (baloney) the best for looks, makes the pipe look "bigger" IMHO.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:31 AM
howards iron
6th Gear

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
I like the side slash cut (baloney) the best for looks, makes the pipe look "bigger" IMHO.
I purchased some side slash mufflers for my 11 iron, got them from Anarchy Customs uk
they were around £125.00 - what a differance to the sound compared to standard.
i evan think they sound better than V+H . Bargain... and they direct the exhaust deposits away from the bike .

Old 10-27-2012, 10:14 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a difference in sound. On my Sporty, the first replacement mufflers I had were taper cut straight out the back. Then I replaced with exactly the same muffler, except the baloney cut. The baloney cut directs the sound more to the side, and it is more audible to the rider anyway. It also causes the sound to be bounced off the side of cages, or anything else on your right side.

I have the slash down cut on my Ultra Classic. That cut directs the exhaust sound on the ground and it bounces back up from the surface. I like that sound, it is a less direct sound.

These are all minor changes, but they are noticeable. I think it really just comes down to which appearance you prefer. But, those are my observations on the sound of the different cuts on exhaust.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I appreciate all the reponses, thank you! Looks like I'm gonna' go with the baloney cuts, OR as strange as it may sound, if I can find muffler tips similar to the stock mufflers because I actually like the way they look...

=8^)

Old 10-29-2012, 11:43 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Taper cut will resemble the stock pipes.

Quick Reply: Slip-ons: slash down, baloney cut, or?