Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10" as good as 12" mini ape?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 12:40 AM
csharley
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10" as good as 12" mini ape?

Fellow riders,

I've been considering changing out the handlebar on my 11' 883 because of the discomfort it has caused me especially in slow turns. I like the look of 12" mini ape from HD quite a lot, until I read somewhere that it costs hundreds of greenback to replace cables and wiring.

I will honestly admit that i'm on a real tight budget because of the purchase of this bike, so I have been killing all the mod bugs deep inside, and have been sticking with those little and cheap mods/upgrades that have their use to me, e.g., easy pull clutch, shifter pegs, etc.

Back on topic. Later, I read on a youtube video that 10" mini ape will only require an extended turn signal wiring, and everything else stock can be used. Plus, the 10" looked quite nice as well to me, just a wee bit behind the 12" imo.

So what do you guys think. Is 10" as good as 12" to those of you who actually appreciate mini apes? (stock and some drag bars may look very cool, but not comfy enough for me). If I could save quite a bit of money to get as much as comfort and good look I can, will 10" fulfill this purpose?

Of course, these questions are all based on the assumption that 10" mini ape doesn't require extension of cables and wires. If not, uh, at least i'll still be a happy poor boy stretching my upper body on a cool bike

p.s., just a bit vent. Used forward control (black) is so dam hard to find, not to mention a trade deal with my mids (for budget reason). My legs are hurting really bad given that I'm kinda tall and have to bend my legs into a "Z" shape all the time. This is a far more urgent and serious issue than the handlebar, so if anyone can help me on this please, you have my sincere appreciation.

Thanks for reading and happy riding!

Last edited by csharley; 10-23-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

I know what you mean on the forward controls. Took me a few weeks to find a used set....just keep checking the classified, maybe put up a WTB (want to buy) in there too.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/other/740614-how-to-choose-the-perfect-handlebars.html

This is the way that has always worked for me to get the most comfortable handlebar position-
  • Sit on your bike
  • Have someone hold it up straight for you
  • Put your feet on the pegs
  • Close your eyes
  • Put your hands out to where it is most comfortable to hold them
  • Open your eyes...where ever your hands are, that is where you want the handlebar grips to be.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-23-2012, 03:03 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not real cheap but cheaper than most I've seen:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-BLACK...sories&vxp=mtr

Old 10-23-2012, 06:59 AM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Kevin is right about finding the right handlbar position, that's the method to use to choose your bars. I held my hands in what I thought was perfect and had my brother measure the rise and pullback, then found the perfect bars. Be aware that the measurements companies cite for those two values are not always accurate. I know that LA Choppers were dead on. If you go with 10's instead of 12's just to save money on cables you may end up starting over later.

As to your belief that forward controls are a higher priority, only you know that for certain, but I'd caution you that getting your arm position sorted correctly is going to change all the other rules, and you might find that what sucks with your current bars is perfect once they're sorted. I'd dial in the hand/arm position first- it really does change everything.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:47 AM
$eventy2T
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by csharley
Fellow riders,

I've been considering changing out the handlebar on my 11' 883 because of the discomfort it has caused me especially in slow turns. I like the look of 12" mini ape from HD quite a lot, until I read somewhere that it costs hundreds of greenback to replace cables and wiring.

I will honestly admit that i'm on a real tight budget because of the purchase of this bike, so I have been killing all the mod bugs deep inside, and have been sticking with those little and cheap mods/upgrades that have their use to me, e.g., easy pull clutch, shifter pegs, etc.

Back on topic. Later, I read on a youtube video that 10" mini ape will only require an extended turn signal wiring, and everything else stock can be used. Plus, the 10" looked quite nice as well to me, just a wee bit behind the 12" imo.

So what do you guys think. Is 10" as good as 12" to those of you who actually appreciate mini apes? (stock and some drag bars may look very cool, but not comfy enough for me). If I could save quite a bit of money to get as much as comfort and good look I can, will 10" fulfill this purpose?

Of course, these questions are all based on the assumption that 10" mini ape doesn't require extension of cables and wires. If not, uh, at least i'll still be a happy poor boy stretching my upper body on a cool bike

p.s., just a bit vent. Used forward control (black) is so dam hard to find, not to mention a trade deal with my mids (for budget reason). My legs are hurting really bad given that I'm kinda tall and have to bend my legs into a "Z" shape all the time. This is a far more urgent and serious issue than the handlebar, so if anyone can help me on this please, you have my sincere appreciation.

I have a brand new set of stock 10inch minis (w grips and throttle sleeve) off of my 72 for sale cheap if interested. Can Ship today Cheers

Old 10-23-2012, 09:02 AM
pbr rebel
Cruiser

I agree with samhallnc. With 10" bars you can use all the stock wiring and as far as your turn signals I would get a kit to mount them on your forks, then you actuall don't need to extend anything. If you can do it yourself you will save alot of money for your other mods. With anything over 10 you need to get an extention kit fyi.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:23 PM
HedleyLamarr
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by $eventy2T
I have a brand new set of stock 10inch minis (w grips and throttle sleeve) off of my 72 for sale cheap if interested. Can Ship today Cheers
well in a slight thread-jacking, did you use the stock cables when you put those bars on (they look like they're stretched tight)? I'd like to go slightly higher, but paying out the *** for it is a deal-breaker

Last edited by HedleyLamarr; 10-26-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:47 PM
cooperk851
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csharley

Check ebay buddy. I got a brand new pair for $250 they were not harley they were after market, but i have put about 3500mi on the bike since they went on and not a single problem. just torque your bolts to the appropriate ft-lbs and use high strength locktite

Old 10-23-2012, 05:32 PM
csharley
Intermediate

Thanks for your advices guys. I did some research and just read somewhere on forum that for the purpose of better control, a set up of raiser+drag bar is more recommended. Is this true?

Originally Posted by samhallnc
As to your belief that forward controls are a higher priority, only you know that for certain, but I'd caution you that getting your arm position sorted correctly is going to change all the other rules, and you might find that what sucks with your current bars is perfect once they're sorted. I'd dial in the hand/arm position first- it really does change everything.
you reminded me the whole sitting position thing. I do need to consider the effect of the combination of both forwards and the mini ape. I definitely need a more stretched out leg position, so I guess I need to install forwards first to see what hand and arm position I would truly like!

Originally Posted by pbr rebel
I agree with samhallnc. With 10" bars you can use all the stock wiring and as far as your turn signals I would get a kit to mount them on your forks, then you actuall don't need to extend anything. If you can do it yourself you will save alot of money for your other mods. With anything over 10 you need to get an extention kit fyi.
Good to have your assurance. I definitely would listen to the forum rather than youtube comments

Originally Posted by cooperk851
Check ebay buddy. I got a brand new pair for $250 they were not harley they were after market, but i have put about 3500mi on the bike since they went on and not a single problem. just torque your bolts to the appropriate ft-lbs and use high strength locktite
Originally Posted by DOMAPOI
Not real cheap but cheaper than most I've seen:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-BLACK...sories&vxp=mtr
These are nice. However, in my first thread in the forum, I asked question about forward control, and the consensus seemed to be to stay with OEM forwards and especially avoid ebay ones. Maybe some eBay aftermarket with higher quality is OK to try? How did your forward blend in (look-wise) with your bike cooperk? Do they look dramatically different from the OEM ones?

Thank you guys.