Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

n00b here, need help with choosing a sportster

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Daniel Michael
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n00b here, need help with choosing a sportster

I'm looking to purchase myself a sportster next spring, however, I'm stuck in three directions to take.

1) Buy the Iron 883-It's low-priced, has a mean blacked out look (I'm not a fan of chrome), and sounds like it's got a good reputation. I'm about to demo ride one tomorrow.

2) Go with the 1200 Custom- I keep being told that 883 is too small and will regret not having a bigger engine. I was also told that there's a definite difference between the 1200 and 883 in terms of feeling it's power (I'm used to riding a crappy Honda rebel 250, so anything above <---that I'll assume I'd be happy with. I've also already ridden one and loved it.

3) Go all out and get the biggest bike I can afford because again, I'm told that I will regret not going with the bigger bike.

Does anybody concur that I should go with a bigger model than 883? I mean, as long as it rides on the highway and can take me out of state, I'll be happy with it. However, I'm somewhat on a budget and don't want to screw myself financially. I'm just doing my research here. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 10-21-2012, 11:40 PM
MrElectric03
Tourer

Im going for the Iron. Its not that im not a fan of chrome, I hate chrome. Besides that it will be my first bike so im not looking for a fast bike. I can get comfortable on the 883 and when I want to go faster I can pickup the 1250 kit.

My dream bike is a night train but no way im going to go pick one up as my first bike lol.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Daniel Michael
2nd Gear

I forgot to mention that I could always throw a 1200 engine on myself if I feel the need, the dealership told me that the 883, 48, and 1200 Custom are all the same size in terms of build. So, thank you for mentioning that! Now I'm starting to lean towards the 883, can't wait to test one tomorrow!

Old 10-22-2012, 12:03 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Awhile back i was looking at buying an 883 but really wanted a 1200, i ended up buying a Dyna and so glad i didnt buy either of the sportsters now, but get what ever you can afford and what ever you are comfortable with. However i was told that you will want more grunt once you get used to the 883.

Oh and by the way after 2 weeks i feel my Dyna isnt enough of a bike now and want to step up onto a Street glide, so maybe thats just how it goes, the smaller cheaper bikes are just stepping stones.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:02 AM
Dual-Linkerts
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daniel Michael
I forgot to mention that I could always throw a 1200 engine on myself if I feel the need, the dealership told me that the 883, 48, and 1200 Custom are all the same size in terms of build. So, thank you for mentioning that! Now I'm starting to lean towards the 883, can't wait to test one tomorrow!
Welcome to the Harley world!

You will definately like the 883 and if you need more power which I doubt you will the 883 once modded will run the pants off the 1200.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:17 AM
Slvr764
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a Sporty if you love Sporties. Dont get it as a starter bike. Get the bike you would ultimately want once you get your bike legs.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:43 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You need to sit on all of them and decide which ones you like the feel of most. Then ride a demo one of each you liked best. Even the 883 is bigger than what you usually ride and is not that small of a bike (except to those that ride the real big ones but have never really spent any time on an 883 and just have their nose stuck too high up in the air to think anything else). One of the reasons I love my 1200 Custom is because it is with forward controls and I feel much better riding with my legs slightly out in front of me instead of under my butt. Some like the feel of their legs and feet straight down. A lot of people that have ridden rice rockets all their bike riding life like it that way too. It is all something you have to decide for yourself. As you and others have said, you can always convert an 883 to a 1200 or 1250 so don't let size be a major factory in your decisions.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:11 AM
Proteus
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When I was in the market to buy a bike, it went like this:

- budget: How much can I spend for a bike (financing, insurance, gas, services) while keeping a comfy living like I do.
- purpose: commuting to my work, 100 miles back & forth, or just to have some fun during the weekends
- new or used? see here under my comment
- biking experience: can I handle a 600 lbs or a 800+ lbs bike?
- riding alone or two up?
- reliability? To me, Sportsters have proved their reliability, it seems the twin cam engines are more prone to failure, this being said without any certainty.
- Do you really need a bike? Seems stupid, but some guys buy a bike, to keep it in the garage. Your choice of course.

Once this was settled, I shopped around, not only H-D but I went elsewhere (Guzzi, Triumph end even BMW). The Sportster 1200 I bought just fitted in my budget, it was enough a bike to commute to my work, it had the 4.5 gallons tank, and I found it beautiful looking. the three other brands had bikes fitting my budget, but to me, they were to small in displacement & so not able to keep a 75 mph pace for long.

The Sportster/Dyna/bigger bike choice didn't come to my mind as I predetermined my budget didn't allow me to buy a bigger bike than a new 1200 Sporty. As I wished to commute each day, I wanted a new bike with a 2 years warranty. I traveled 15,000 miles those last 8 months.

Not thinking for the moment to grab a bigger bike, for physical reasons, I don't see myself duck walking a RK into my garage.

So, you'll have to decide what you really need. Once this is settled, let us know what you bought...

Last edited by Proteus; 10-22-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:24 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Pay no attention to what others tell you to get, they ain't paying for it. Get the bike that "talks" to you.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:50 AM
South JerseyJoe
Cruiser

No matter what bike you get, it has to feel good to you in terms of comfort and capability.
I got the 1200 custom because it works for me.
Its quick, very nimble in multilane traffic, can lean into the curves better and faster than the sofa bikes. Fits my style. A few upgrades and its even better.
That being said....any bike is better than a cage!

Quick Reply: n00b here, need help with choosing a sportster