Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I called Harley today, they say that Harleys are Manufactured in the USA.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 11:19 PM
mungodrums
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I called Harley today, they say that Harleys are Manufactured in the USA.

Yeah, I called Harley today, company headquarters. They told me that Harleys are considered Manufactured in the USA not assembled. They also told me that Harley uses as many usa / domestic made parts as possible. To be conidered USA manufactured is their a minimum % domestic content, what is it. I was specifically interested in sportsters. Ger.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:22 PM
ThunderBueller
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why does it matter?

Old 10-19-2012, 11:25 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

It's somewhat ambiguous.
http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...e-usa-standard

http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/stor...elps-marketing

"Everyone knows Harley-Davidsons are made in the USA," said Dorothy L. Basile, marketing director of the dealership at 983 James Drive, Bern Township. "Where we see the difference is with the clothing." "You could put it in the store, but our customers wouldn't buy it."

She said all but about 2 percent of a Harley's parts are American made.

Damn, I must be really bored.

Last edited by donr101395; 10-19-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:35 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Not sure the content, but the Sporty Factory is in Kansas City. The forks and other bits are from Japan. Motor and drivetrain is still made here.

Factorys have to go where it is competitive. There are too many taxes and regualtions here nowadays, and an out of control labor union that only knows "more, more, more".....irregardless of when business slows.

The fix would be to get out of our free trade agreements and impose a protective trade tariff on imports.....then the other countries can compete for business in the USA at OUR standard of living, not theirs.

This is why Harley is building a factory in India, and GM is building plants in China now.

~Joe

Old 10-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Funny story, an American company was offered to produce the forks for Harley-Davidson way back when, but they refused to produce such a small amount (they only made millions per order when HD wanted thousands). So the Motor Company went with a company known as Showa, who would produce forks to their order in the amount they wanted....

Makes you question things, right?

Old 10-19-2012, 11:43 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

that's okay the Showa forks are probably better anyway. Showa has been around for a LONG time, and the conventional forks we are using are VERY basic.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:16 AM
Dual-Linkerts
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mungodrums
Yeah, I called Harley today, company headquarters. They told me that Harleys are considered Manufactured in the USA not assembled. They also told me that Harley uses as many usa / domestic made parts as possible. To be conidered USA manufactured is their a minimum % domestic content, what is it. I was specifically interested in sportsters. Ger.
This will help you to identify which U.S.A. plant the Sportsters you are looking at were built in. http://www.harley-riders-guide.com/h...idson-vin.html

Old 10-20-2012, 08:43 AM
deez nuts
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I think harleys are the most American made motorcycle out there. The reality is that they have to outsource at least some of their operation to keep their prices down. Otherwise they would go out of business pretty quick. Unfortunately these days people my age (21) and even older don't really care where something was made they just want what they want.
Even If harley's arent all American made they still have more quality and style then metric knock offs and thats why I bought a Harley, the fact that it's more American is just a bonus. A big bonus though.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:03 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
and an out of control labor union that only knows "more, more, more".....irregardless of when business slows.
I have not read of any CEO's taking a pay cut when business slows.

John

Old 10-20-2012, 09:14 AM
johnjay
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the CEO, CFO and COO. Don't forget their BONUS...in the millions.

Quick Reply: I called Harley today, they say that Harleys are Manufactured in the USA.