Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crimping a butt connector

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 01:41 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Crimping a butt connector

yes the dumbest question on this board, but i need to know.

I had to cut my front turn signal wires to relocate them to the front forks, im using those butt connectors, my first time. How many times do you crimp the butt connector? One on each end? Also the wires they just sit in there and dont have to be touching?

Old 01-28-2007, 02:20 PM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Crimping a butt connector

If done properly, just once on each end. You will need to be sure you use the correct notch in the crimping tool for the size connector you have. They are usually color coded. The wires don't actually have to be touching each other, if that is what you mean. But obviously they need to contact the metal sleeve within the connector. Be sure you strip off the correct amount of insulation from the wire; enough so you have a good connection. But not too much so the bare wire is exposed outside of the connector. Also, make sure the crimp isn't too close to the inner or outer edge of the metal sleeve.

Good luck!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-28-2007, 02:21 PM
jakedog
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Butt connector contains a metal sleeve, you need to insert both wires into each end of the sleeve and crimp both wires.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:25 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior

And the sleeve will make the connection, wire to wire contact is not necessary. Be sure to put the shrink wrap on first. Squeeze once if possible, two times if necessary so that when you tug (not pull) the wire it doesn't come out. If it comes out, get a new connector and do it again until you get the feel of it. Really, after you've done 2 or 3 it'll be very simple... just as long as you put the shrink wrap on before you tighten both ends. [:@] Been there.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:32 PM
brauny1
Road Master

I've used many types and brands, work in the electrical industry. Is it insulated, sized properly, long or short, well made (yes, they make cheap ones)? I'll usually crimp the entire length of metal contact area, good ones allow it and will not split,apply a dielectric jell, then apply heat shrink for a very positive, conductive and corrosion free termination.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:02 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh, good...glad you got some proper feedback here...I resisted respondingearlier today....

TOO many non electrical thoughts came to mind when I read the topic of the post...

"Crimping a butt connector"....OUCH!!!

Sorry....but I did resist for several hours....

It's always a struggle between good and evil around here.....
[sm=teetertooter.gif]

Old 01-28-2007, 11:38 PM
diablo666
Road Master

If you go to any GM dealer you can buy connectors that have heat shrink as the insulation and when you heat them a sealer comes out to prevent moisture from entering the connection.They are close to $2 a piece though but well worth it to avoid future electrical problems.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:45 AM
rbcss
Tourer

I wouldn't use the butt connectors that has the plastic sleeve. they make all kinds of connectors. some crimp and the outer part is shrink tube and there's the one'sthat are solder in the middle, you crimp the solder and the out is shrink tube when you heat the shrink tube it also melts the solder. that one works well. I normally solder my connections then shrink tube the connections. there is also a special crimping tool out there it cost a couplehundred dollars, they use it at the factory putting harness together. the crimp would never come apart. you just use the sleeve of a butt connector. I have access to one and it works sweet. but I wouldrecommend soldering your connectors.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:30 AM
jwb47
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im an electrician and there has been some good advise gave the only thing I would ad is if using a butt connector with the plastic sleeve and I know it is possible to get it wet alot of times I will dab silicone in the open ends of the connector to help keep out moisture.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:34 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a splice that was too short, and in an area so tight I couldn't use heat shrink. Then I found some "liquid heat shrink". After soldering the splice, then wrapping the connection in electrical tape, you apply this liquid and it causes a chemical reaction that melts the tape into a solid covering much like heat shrink.

I'll see how it holds up over time.

Quick Reply: Crimping a butt connector