Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time w/windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 01:04 PM
kk0210
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time w/windshield

Bought a detachable windshield (used in great shape) and used it for the first time yesterday on the sporty. It was a very defferent feel at 65-70 and I thought that the bike handled different other than the expected change in wind buffeting. I would like to hear from others to see if this normal on sporty with a windshield.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:09 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: First time w/windshield

Leave it on long enough and you will get used to it. Then, when you take it off it will feel "different" all over again.

Personally I don't know as I have never taken my windshield off. It was on when I bought it and it will stay there.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:20 PM
johnsonabq
Tourer

I have the National Cycle Switchblade windshield on mine and it does change things.
I wasn't being pushed off the back of the bike anymore, but there was buffeting at interstate speeds. And I was now a little more susceptible to general wind conditions. All in all Istill considered it a great improvement. I then found that NC sells chrome lowers that attach to the same mounts as the windshield. I bought those and put them on and that made a big difference. I can cruise at 70-80mph and it's sweet! They push more wind off the sides of the bike but it stopped the buffeting too by eliminating the wind from swirling up from under the windshield.
I'm ready to tour now.[sm=biker2.gif]
Jeff

Old 01-28-2007, 01:51 PM
seikan1
Road Warrior

I have a quick detachable windshield on mine. It makes one heck of a difference in the cold wind especially. When it is nice and warm, I take it off. I like the looks of the scoot without it. But it helps keep me a little warmer while riding in the colder weather. (If you can call weather cold here in the Phoenix area...although it did get down to 23 degrees last week)

Old 01-28-2007, 01:55 PM
brauny1
Road Master

Of course it feels different at 65 - 70, your not a 'sail' in the wind anymore. Lot of advantages included with a shield, your skin isn't ripped off your face, rocks and bugs don't bombard your exterior, your don't feel like your being purshed off the ride, confidence is gained at speed and you have more control. I rarely remove mine, usually when I wash/waxand even them the bike looks naked without it.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:37 PM
eggroll
Road Master

ORIGINAL: brauny1

... rocks and bugs don't bombard your exterior...
Don't forget the occasional bird[:'(].

The windshield also reflects back some engine sound. I actually find it easier to ride with the windshield. Riding withoutcan belike doing chin-ups, IMHO.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:18 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 275 Likes on 170 Posts

I too have the detachable windshield. The only time I notice any buffering at all is when my face shield is about 1/2 open. Other than that I didnt experience any notable difference at all in performance.

It does do, for me, as two other members already mentioned. Keeps cold air off my chest and I dont get tired of holding on at 65-75mph.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I love my Windshield in cold weather and long Howay rides. Different ridin all together!

Old 01-29-2007, 03:26 AM
zanne
Cruiser

I've had my detachable windshield about a month, & I love the difference it makes. It looks better than I thought it would too.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be careful. If you ride with it to long you won't want to ride without it. I am making a cut down version forvsummer myself.

Quick Reply: First time w/windshield