Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time w/windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:25 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: First time w/windshield

Never rode with a windshield before I got my FatBoy, and it came with the HD detachable model.

Still don't love the looks of a windshield, but I will have to admit that they make a big difference, especially in cold weather conditions.

You can 'fine tune' the length of the windshield to get rid of most of the buffeting. The one that came on the bike was 20 inches (from the top to headlight opening), and it was right at eye level when sitting on the low seat of the Softail.

I don't wear a helmet, but the buffeting at highway speed was very noticeable. I swapped out the 20 inch for a 18 inch Cee Bailey, and it made all the difference in the world, as the buffeting is half of what it was before. Can ride down the road at 65 MPH smoking a cig without any problem.

Also, the height is now at about nose level, which I like. I can now look over the windshield, but it is high enough that the deflected air/bugs/whatever go over my head. But I can also 'crunch down' a little bit and look through the windshield if I want.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:14 PM
stone_rider420
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah. Just grin and bear it and spit the bugs out that dont taste good. [:'(]

Old 01-30-2007, 05:36 AM
bigtop1
Road Master

A windshield is the best add on I have had to date. Won't spit bugs. Don't need to spit bugs. Good for the over all ride and comfort. Safety factor is also there.

[/align]A

Old 01-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Tiggy
Cruiser

Hanging on for grim death at seventy is no fun at all. Personally I wouldn't be without my windshield. I guess a lot depends on the climate.Whaap is right. Leave it on long enough and it will feel odd without it.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:22 AM
IronLegend
Tourer

I have the quick-detach but leave it on all the time. It was one of the first accessories I bought for the bike, even before pipes.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:52 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to try a windshield, but not sure what to order. I want a quick connect set up. and a decent price.

Can anyone recomend and after market windshield?

Thanks
Tom

Old 02-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Memphis shade from J&P Cycles or good ol EBAY

Old 02-04-2007, 03:48 PM
tacklindummy
6th Gear

I have the detachable windshield from HD. Since I put it on it hasn't come off. Had itabout a year. I actually like the look.Riding to work atzero dark thirtyin the morning when it'sin the mid 30's and riding around at dusk in the summertimewhile dodging swarms of who knows what, is when it's appreciated most.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:18 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I noticed above that a windshield was cut down from 20" to 18" and it stopped some buffeting. My wife has an 04 1200C with a Harley quick detach (leaves no hardware behind) and she has not complained...however on my 05 Deuce my windshield is the suggested "eye/nose" distance but I find it somewhat distracting in traffic. In order to get it that low I have it raked back slightly..looks good incidentally. Also at 65+ mph I get a high speed helmet buffet, more like a vibration than a shoving, when wearing a full face helmet. So much sothat it actually affects vision as well as being annoying. Would like to hear of others experiencewhen lowering the windshield. As a pilot I can understand why a lower windshield might reduce that high speed buffet although intuitively it seems like it would worsen. I have read a number of good posts on how to cut it down 1-2" and am tempted but not until I have more input from you guys. John

Old 02-06-2007, 07:45 AM
bigtop1
Road Master

A day or two of riding with your new windshield will soon tell you where you want to have its height. Its no problem to cut it to what you want it to be. Lexan, etc. is just plastic. Plastic can be cut. Take your time, mark it out, mask tape it in the area you will cut and use a sabre saw with fine teeth to cut it. Sand down the rough edges. You're done. I would however, be sure that all the mounting of the shield is in the correct spot that you want it. You can raise or lower the entire shield up or down some on the forks. Do that before you dicide on where you want to trim it. I find that in mynormal riding position,I need to have the shield just under my eyesight when looking down the road at a short distance (50 feet). Keep it clean. I find the spray wax used for touch up on waxed surfaces does a good job. Something similar to Glade furniture polish in the aerosol can is also good to clean it with. The light oil in the solution is good to keep the plastic moist with its protective qualities.