Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shortage Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 06:24 PM
sportchop
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on that. I don't have short shots. Had mine custom made but I'm sure it's the same for mounting them on mine as it would be on yours. I'm new to the forum so I have no idea how to post pictures of the kind of pipes I put on. But for the price I might as well order them up and give them a shot. 25 bucks just to try it out isn't a bad investment. Thanks again for the heads up.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 805 Likes on 587 Posts

Does the bike short out entirely, or does the just the engine cut out?

I would suggest checking the negative battery cable, especially where it connects to the engine block. That cable attaches to a stud, which itself is screwed into the block. Check to make sure that ALL of these are tight.

Check it closely. Even when it feels tight, it might not be tight enough.

Last edited by Roni; 10-17-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:28 PM
sportchop
4th Gear

Thanks for the reply roni. I have checked on these. Even got a tune up yesterday on the bike and they re checked everything on the bike since it sat for 18 months while I was working overseas and they said everything looked great. Anyone know if I can retune the power commander for lower RPM's? I thought this is the reason I put the power commander on in the first place, to mitigate these issues. At lower RPM's while maintaining a steady speed it's a quick cut for a split second until I throttle and then all is great. Above 40mph or if i keep getting on and off the throttle keepin them up I never have an issue.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Originally Posted by sportchop
Thanks for the heads up on that. I don't have short shots. Had mine custom made but I'm sure it's the same for mounting them on mine as it would be on yours. I'm new to the forum so I have no idea how to post pictures of the kind of pipes I put on. But for the price I might as well order them up and give them a shot. 25 bucks just to try it out isn't a bad investment. Thanks again for the heads up.

Man, sorry, you did mention that. Yeah, you can put the TTI's about 3" in from the end of the pipe, only way you see them is if you are down looking straight in the end of the pipe.

Someone mentioned earlier about reversion. The mechanics of exhaust is one of the areas that is largely unexplored here, and it also seems that most MFG.'s of aftermarket pipes don't pay much attention to it either.

At the following link, post # 18 has some good info.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...r-power-2.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-18-2012, 10:50 PM
sportchop
4th Gear

Thanks a lot for all the info guys. I'll look into those tti's and see about putting them a few inches inside....and yeah, I had this custom shop do the tuner when they hand made the pipes but I guarantee that they just did a canned map and didn't adjust for low rpm's and definitely didn't put it on a dyno. I'll make a call or two about getting it tuned and thrown on a dyno before I start sticking things in the pipes. I'll prolly go TTI's as well. I'm praying this is the reason the bikes cutting out on me at certain times and speeds. From what all of you are saying I'm pretty confident. This didn't start happening until the pipes were made so common sense would say this is the issue. Thanks again for all the info guys.