Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iron 883 owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 04:50 AM
lock_stock85
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iron 883 owners

hey all,

just passed my provisional (sunday just gone), which basically allows us to ride here with L plates, got my main test booked in for Feb next year so i'm all ready to go. Just need to buy a bike! I borrowed a 250 and it had little to no power for me so was after something bit more brutish.

I had a 125 when i was 16 and 250 in my early 20s, but I've not ridden since i was 21 or so (im 26 now). I had been practising on a honda CBR600, however I really want an iron 883. Love the black colour, the sound and the customization options, I'm not really into sportbikes at all and often feel uncomfortable riding them, but I have some concerns about the 883 before parting with my cash.

Firstly, weight. at around 530lbs, I'm worried I wont be able to pick it back up again if I drop it, or become un-balanced when stopping and needing to recover. I'm fairly "weedy" as it is so the weight is a concern.

Secondly is handling. Were I live there is a lot of slow, tight turns down hill, and I just want to be sure I can handle it. I'm told on slow corners to hold off the front break otherwise it'll tip.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'd rather get advice from current owners, as often round where i live dealers will tell you anything to get your money!

Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

There ain't an HD made that won't severely strain yer wallet if yah drop it. I'd stay away from a new one until you've figured out how to keep the shiney side up. And, grabbin the front brake in a tight downhill curve will put yah on the pavement faster than if you were hit by lightening. Always enter a curve slightly slower and gently accelerate thru the corner w/o braking. Do they offer MSF courses where you live? Your local HD dealer should have a Rider's Edge class, it would be the best money you'll ever spend in this sport.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:56 AM
lock_stock85
3rd Gear

Hi CRocks,

no sadly I don't think they do. I agree a MSF would be perfect and I'd take one at the drop of a hat if I could do one.

I'm pretty sure I could learn to ride the bike, it's just the weight problem I'm concerned the most about.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 328 Posts

I vote not to worrry about the weight issue.

You mention downhill corners.
The Iron/Night are low and scrape "hard" in corners.
Be aware of that.

Yes, you can buy longer rear shocks to increase the ground clearance.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:43 AM
lock_stock85
3rd Gear

Hi Kenny,

i was under the impression European models came with 13" rear shocks..are you suggesting that still may not be enough?

Old 10-09-2012, 09:44 AM
NowgFstCat
Tourer

The iron isn't that heavy. I have a superlow and my fiancé has an iron pretty much same weight. I would also suggest a MSF course maybe check the community colleges or state to see where u can take one. Good luck!

Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 AM
lock_stock85
3rd Gear

unfortunately not, where i live we are not big enough to warrant specific dealers as such, so often enough they wont have any of the courses so I'd have to effectively teach myself.

I guess it's all about confidence, and I know the roads here well enough, just certain roads are tricky to navigate, even in cars.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Seaplane-883
Novice

Got my Iron 6 weeks ago (Denim Black - superb look). Did a 'test drop' on both sides - although takes a little effort I was able to right the bike singlehanded (and I'm not that strong or fit!). Downhill and corners - NO to solo front brake!!!!! Use the rear alone or both together. Agree with CRocks - slow in and accelerarate through. Ground clearance only an issue in very tight corners and at speed. Iron is an easy bike to ride slowly and low height means staying upright when stopping is not a problem. My first HD after Yamahas (Virago) - will never go back. Get one and enjoy!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:41 PM
iron maid
6th Gear

This past week I bought a iron 883n, chrome yellow, 2011, I don't like heavy bikes, this bike is not heavy!

Old 10-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Allen Riggs
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I recomend taking a rider safety course. You should never hit the front break on any bike in a turn. The weight shifts to the front wheel and boom! You are on the ground and that is any bike. As far as Sportster goes, the center of gravity is very low which makes it easy to handle. Sport bikes have a higher center of gravity, generally speaking.

I live and ride in Los Angleles. The traffic is stop and go all of the time. However, I also split lanes all of the time. Again the Sporty does a great job of weaving in and out of traffic. I have also made a run to the Rock Store on my Sporty. The canyon curves are like non other. I had to re-paint my lower heat shield after thet ride.

To sum it up...
The Sporty is a great bike for anybody. The hp to wt ratio is great. The handling is great. And it is the longest running American production bike. Nothing beats a Sporty.

Take a rider course. You will be glad that you did. I have been riding for over 25 years and I learned a lot about mistakes I was making when I took one. Plus lower insurance rates. Ride on!

Quick Reply: iron 883 owners